Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

5-hour redeye flight in F; is there meal service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:23 am
Original Poster

On an 11:45 PM flight from SLC - JFK, does Delta offer meal service? I've only flown one DL redeye flight before, and was disheartened to only receive a couple bags of Sun Chips. This is a slightly longer flight, though, so I'm wondering if they offer any sort of meal service for a trip that is this long.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
If it is DL 1002, Delta.com lists "Refreshments" in F and "Snack for sale" in Y.

On the bright side, is is only 4 hrs, 20 mins, not 5 hours.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I've never had a "meal" offered on a Delta domestic redeye other than the BE service from SFO/LAX to JFK.

Usually about 10 reeses cups and a few twix from the snack basket and some adult beverages do the trick for me on the redeyes. Maybe this is why I always gain weight on my MRs....
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by markraby
On an 11:45 PM flight from SLC - JFK, does Delta offer meal service? I've only flown one DL redeye flight before, and was disheartened to only receive a couple bags of Sun Chips. This is a slightly longer flight, though, so I'm wondering if they offer any sort of meal service for a trip that is this long.
No meal. Unfortunately that flight doesn't really fall in any meals timeframe (except for maybe Taco Bells "late night 4th meal") and since DL doesn't have a Taco Bell onboard you will be limited to the snack basket and beverage service. Most people sleep on redeyes....not eat. And FYI it isn't even close to 5 hours of airtime, typically the eastbound flight is 3.5 hours. With screwing around and taxi time it is blocked as another poster said at 4 hours 20 minutes. Very rarely delays in eiher city since it departs at midnight and gets in before 6am.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Why would you expect to get a meal on a Red Eye flight. At home, do you eat a meal at 11:00PM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
[QUOTE=GYEWorldTraveler;15315412typically the eastbound flight is 3.5 hours. With screwing around and taxi time it is blocked as another poster said at 4 hours 20 minutes. Very rarely delays in eiher city since it departs at midnight and gets in before 6am.[/QUOTE]

Which in reality is pretty much only time for a lllooooonnnnngggg nap, then to go home, have real food, then take another lllooooonnnnnngggg nap
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
The only red-eye I've been on (other than TPAC or TATL) that included meals was ANC-MSP, but this is limited to the old NWA routes.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Delta Used To Have A Meal on Red-eyes

Originally Posted by vxmike
I've never had a "meal" offered on a Delta domestic redeye other than the BE service from SFO/LAX to JFK.
I've been flying Delta red-eyes since 1984, and I remember they would offer either a hot sandwich or a big chef's salad. If you were a night owl, you could eat and drink to your heart's content all the way to ATL.

That said, I can't remember any kind of meal service eastbound on the red-eye I most often take (OAK-ATL) for the last couple of years (this route is periodically discontinued and reinstated); the last time I did the domestic BE plane SFO-JFK, there was a chicken dinner (the FAs claimed it wasn't supposed to be on board, but they served it anyway).

If you've been busy in California for the entire day before the red-eye, what you want is a very nice adult PDB (and maybe a refill if you get lucky), and then peace and quiet for sleep all the way to the east.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why would you expect to get a meal on a Red Eye flight. At home, do you eat a meal at 11:00PM.
The point is you are not at home. You are traveling cross-country and for business travelers they may have been coming from a function, event or something where they didn't eat and off to morning meetings. Your comment comes off as being a bit ignorant.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
The point is you are not at home. You are traveling cross-country and for business travelers they may have been coming from a function, event or something where they didn't eat and off to morning meetings. Your comment comes off as being a bit ignorant.
What about afternoon flights? Your argument does not hold water. I did not think that his point was at all ignorant. Your reply was a bit over the top.

DL only serves meal at meal time (except for very few exceptions).
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by fromYXU
What about afternoon flights? Your argument does not hold water. I did not think that his point was at all ignorant. Your reply was a bit over the top.

Wrong. All flights over 1500 miles are supposed to get a meal in F.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:37 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vasantn
Wrong. All flights over 1500 miles are supposed to get a meal in F.
Unfortunately not.

Originally Posted by Delta.com
Flights over 1500 miles: Breakfast is served on flights departing between 5–9:45am. Lunch is served on flights departing between 9:46am–3:59pm and dinner is served on flights departing between 4–8pm.
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check....../dining.jsp
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fromYXU

The fact that DL doesn't serve meals in F at other times of the day it should has nothing to do with the post I commented on.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I don't think that his comment was ignorant at all. I also doubt that a business traveler is at a convention until 11pm and has no time to eat, every convention I have ever been at is usually done by 9pm at the latest (typically much earlier) and has plenty of food at it. An 11:45pm flight from SLC-JFK should not expect a full meal, I bet most business travelers would want a 3-4 hr nap than a full meal service at that hour. When they get to New York it will be before 6am and they will have plenty of time to grab a bite to eat before Wall Street opens and the business day begins. Delta clearly publishes their meal times and after 8pm on non-BE flights you will be only served snacks and refreshments. I wish there was food going the other way on 9pm flights from MSP-PHX and LAX and JFK-LAS and PHX but there aren't because it isn't a normal meal time.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL
So let me get this straight: I pay for a BE fare from SLC-JFK that departs in the morning and I get breakfast, and for the same price I get the same fare that departs as a Red Eye. You are telling me that it isn't expected to get the same service in the evening as you would in the evening??

That's no different that the FA being in a pi**ed off mood on a Red Eye and responding, "Sorry, it's just late night for me." If this had happened, no doubt FTers would be balking to their hearts content about poor service.

A bit extreme, I know, but in all honest, what's the difference?

**Puts flame suit on** All right, and go!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.