Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL 2886 Diverted Due to Medical Emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat

Well after hundreds of flights, I had my first diverted flight going from ATL-> LGA. Plane diverted to RIC due to an elderly woman having a heart attack. When FA called for doctors, literally 6 doctors came forward (no clue why so many doctors on flight). The FA then asked specifically for a cardiologist. It goes without saying, hope the lady is ok (she was traveling with her grand daughter). Tarmac delay lasted up to 2 hours because delta doesn't have much personnel in RIC apprently and needed to refuel. Plane scheduled to arrive around 11:00 pm actually arrived close to 1:00 am. Interesting way to start out of Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 2:54 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
ay dios, hope the woman is OK.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception
I had a number of medical emergencies in a row last year on 3 consecutive flights and one last month - as a physician I helped on each occasion but there were usually a few more physicians and nurses on the flights -

If the person wasn't that sick I deferred to the other physicians but when I was a bit more involved I was asked each time if the flight needed to be diverted for medical treatment.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
My business partner has had almost a dozen medical emergencies. My sister in law in her first flight had one.
I have never had one, thankfully.
Hopefully, the elderly lady and her family have something extra to be grateful for today.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:25 pm

Earlier this year

Had one going to BWI (don't remember from where). Announced a diversion to either DCA or IAD (can't remember which).

We landed and the passenger that was having the difficulty didn't want to get off. Thay forced him to get off. He walked off apologizing. We spent a couple of hours trying to get refueled and obtain 'documents.'

I wasn't particulary PO'd although most - at least in FC - were. So, no matter what, if I think I'm having a heart attack and have to call the ball, I'm going out on a stretcher.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
During a tour of CO's IAH ops center during one of their DO's they said they average about one medical diversion a day. So they aren't that uncommon.

Diverting on a LGA-ATL run is nothing. I was on a DTW-NRT flight last year that diverted to Edmonton, which caused most pax to misconnect at NRT. Having a 747 visit Edmonton was obviously a pretty big deal too as many members of the ground crew were getting their pictures taken by the plane.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL 1MM, AA Exec Plat
How many of the doctors were in FC?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
ask for a doctor and then leave the gate anyway???

On Tuesday, flying the delayed 6:30 pm LAX-MSP flight, after boarding had finished and some waiting at the gage occurred, an announcement was made for any doctors on board to identify themselves. No one seemed to do so. (I was seated in FC.) At that point, the GA left the aircraft and closed the door. Then we departed. There didn't seem to be any further incident during the flight or any medical precautions upon landing.

I thought this was strange. If medical attention was needed, why not call for airport paramedics to remove the passenger? And when there's no doctor, it seems even worse for the passenger in medical trouble. I'm assuming that the GA and lead FA weren't asking for a doctor just out of curiousity. Still, on a full 738, it's almost surprising that there wasn't at least one doctor or alternatively, somone else with medical training like a nurse or paramedic to volunteer to help.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by DLFlyer16
How many of the doctors were in FC?
Oh come on.

To answer your question, NONE.

They were all out on the wings playing golf.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I thought this was strange. If medical attention was needed, why not call for airport paramedics to remove the passenger?
I'm sure the GA did call. But I would guess the GA also made a decision that five minutes would be too long and may even had made a quick gate/concourse announcement. So looking for a doctor on the nearest aircraft seems intelligently proactive. Speculative kudos to the GA.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by TAWS
Well after hundreds of flights, I had my first diverted flight going from ATL-> LGA. Plane diverted to RIC due to an elderly woman having a heart attack. When FA called for doctors, literally 6 doctors came forward (no clue why so many doctors on flight). The FA then asked specifically for a cardiologist. It goes without saying, hope the lady is ok (she was traveling with her grand daughter). Tarmac delay lasted up to 2 hours because delta doesn't have much personnel in RIC apprently and needed to refuel. Plane scheduled to arrive around 11:00 pm actually arrived close to 1:00 am. Interesting way to start out of Thanksgiving.

I was on that flight. I thought it was odd that LGA would allow a landing that late and I was a bit concerned about having to go into EWR or JFK. The thought came up about security. As the flight left ATL " clean " and then was boarded by paramedics with a bunch of equipment & fuelers etc. I wonder if all af them (3) went through security ? Also the flight left RIC without the oxygen and med kits used.

Does anyone have any insight into this ?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta GM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by idainc
I was on that flight. I thought it was odd that LGA would allow a landing that late and I was a bit concerned about having to go into EWR or JFK.
If LGA ever closes for landing, I sure never noticed. I used to live in 3 miles away and in the landing path of LGA. Planes would take a huge turn almost above me and it seemed like they were an arm's reach away. They would buzz me and CitiField every 5 minutes or so when a specific runway was open for landing. The frequency decreased as it got later, but I remember having to turn the volume up on my TV to listen to Carson Daly on Last Call. I used to love the US Open or whenever the Mets were playing since they'd divert the planes to the other side of Queens if they can.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:48 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
These things are very common.

There was a call for doctor assistance on JFK-SEA a week ago (Sun Nov 21) and again two days ago (Sun Nov 28). Neither had to divert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.