Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

getting away with a seat swap (econ for upgraded first) with spouse

Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles GM, SWA A-list Preferred & CP, National ES, Hilton Silver

We're flying on Thanksgiving. Planes being empty, this lowly FO has been upgraded (two days out!).

Beloved Spouse is nearly a foot taller than I am and what's waiting on the other end of the flight is four days with his in-laws (and one is staying for five)!

Naturally, I would like his behind to be in the first-class seat when the wheels leave the tarmac.

Is the best way to do this:

1. Say nothing and just do it?
2. Ask the FA for permission?
3. Ask the GA for permission?

PS Do you suppose there's a snowball's chance in a hot, hot hell that asking sweetly at the gate might get us a second upgraded seat?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Umm you can't just move in to FC without a ticket, that is pretty tacky and it would not be allowed.
The FA would not allow it.
GA maybe, but you are an FO, not likely unless they are feeling generous because it is a holiday, but then what about everyone else?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I think the OP is asking about the protocol for swapping seats with her husband so she sits in Y and he gets her F seat; she wasn't suggesting just moving him up front with her. It seems to be pretty common to make such a swap, but I've not done it myself.

If you are on paid tickets, not award tickets, your husband is eligible for a companion upgrade. Maybe that will happen at the 24-hour window, which would be the best solution of all!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Do you mean should you ask permission to swap seats with him? If that's what you're asking just do it, and if FA says anything he can just say, my lovely wife gave me her seat & she took mine in coach, isn't she the best! MrWeezer & I have never had a problem doing that. Maybe give him both BPs to show the seat assignments as confirmation. And on your way back to coach, whisper to the FA...whatever cocktail he orders, make it a double, he's on his way to see his in-laws.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I do it all the time; for whatever reason, we've had several flights when myself and Mrs. Pokeable are split (both FO), but I get the battlefield upgrade.

We board together, but I show the F flight attendant my boarding pass, and let them know I am sacrificing my F seat to my wife. Almost always accompanied by a smile or comment by the FA, and then I take my wife's window seat while Mrs. Pokeable sits in F.

Have done this 3 or 4 times without problems or incident.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL FO
You are entitled to complimentary companion upgrades (unless you or your spouse are traveling on an award or pay-with-miles ticket). Call Delta and have them sort it out... and if you were upgraded, 2 days out as a Silver, you actually have a chance.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
I thought DTWista implied that he or she just wants to switch seats with the Beloved Spouse and hump it on back to coach in his place. If that's the case, I'd just do it without saying anything.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daregale
I thought DTWista implied that he or she just wants to switch seats with the Beloved Spouse and hump it on back to coach in his place. If that's the case, I'd just do it without saying anything.
That is it exactly, and thanks (all) for the consensus advice. (@MR_MAMA: sorry that I didn't repeat details from the thread title to the body--Good Lord, no, I would not just move up to FC, and neither would he.)

Lamentably, we weren't on the same PNR in the first place, so I think an (official) companion upgrade is unlikely. (Unless there is some loophole I have overlooked [she said hopefully]?*)

*edited to add--via Delta.com (!) apparently there's a way to do this via Reservations even when the PNR isn't shared. Will return and report.

Last edited by DTWista; Nov 23, 2010 at 4:51 pm Reason: did my own darned research
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Plat, Everything else basic
Just Swap

If you are truely just talking about a swap -- you sit in back spouse sits up front - just do it.

Once you get past the GA scanning at the gate swap boarding passes quietly. I don't see how anyone would know the difference. If anyone were to say something just explain that you swapped. I can't see how anyone would have a problem.

Now if you are suggesting that both of you would sit in first -- that's awful tough and unlikely. Maybe you could sweet talk the FA or GA, but don't expect it.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DTWista
That is it exactly, and thanks (all) for the consensus advice. (@MR_MAMA: sorry that I didn't repeat details from the thread title to the body--Good Lord, no, I would not just move up to FC, and neither would he.)

Lamentably, we weren't on the same PNR in the first place, so I think an (official) companion upgrade is unlikely. (Unless there is some loophole I have overlooked [she said hopefully]?*)

*edited to add--via Delta.com (!) apparently there's a way to do this via Reservations even when the PNR isn't shared. Will return and report.
If the plane is really empty, there might be upgrades for sale at the gate!! As far as I can imagine, this might be the only way.

As for swapping seats, that's an easy one, I do it all the time when I'm traveling with family or if I see someone cramped up back in Y. (Just make sure to inform the FA (not the GA)).
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 2P. Former DL FO in the Golden Age of Mileage Runs
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Umm you can't just move in to FC without a ticket, that is pretty tacky and it would not be allowed.
The FA would not allow it.
GA maybe, but you are an FO, not likely unless they are feeling generous because it is a holiday, but then what about everyone else?
Who knows, there are almost no medallions traveling at the holiday. I have a flight on Friday which is mostly full in Y except for exit rows, and has 0 booked in to F (and GMs should have cleared today)it's a JFK-SFO flight and you better believe I have my hopes up, with a total of, it seems, 5 medallions booked on the flight (I'm assuming medallions would book in to exit rows) I think I'm in good shape. If they have empty F cabins they might bump up an FO, especially if the plane is full and they can squeeze someone without a SkyMiles account in the back.

But, yes, definitely do a companion upgrade.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
FWIW MrWeezer & I flew ATL-DCA last flight out Christmas Eve last year. We were in first and it was mostly empty, flight load was light overall. So perhaps you will swing a holiday upgrade for you both (via companion upgrade). But in our case it wasn't really to our benefit in service, captain turned on the seatbelt sign & never turned it off & despite a smooth flight, FAs stayed seated. We suspect he told them ahead of time - I realize you're away from home on the holiday so Merry Christmas, it will be an easy flight for you.

If they're selling upgrades @ the gate you should be able to get the companion upgrade for no charge, correct? Ask the GA to confirm if it doesn't go thru in advance. Good luck & do report back!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

After several minutes' wait, DL Customer Service put Beloved Spouse in line for an upgrade, which the computer immediately granted (confirming your-all's suspicions about the low load factor on the holiday).

Thanks much for the help!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by DTWista
After several minutes' wait, DL Customer Service put Beloved Spouse in line for an upgrade, which the computer immediately granted (confirming your-all's suspicions about the low load factor on the holiday).

Thanks much for the help!
^ Enjoy! Now send those same vibes our way for travel tomorrow & Saturday!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
^ Enjoy! Now send those same vibes our way for travel tomorrow & Saturday!
Done and done!

(Incidentally, upon reading further down into the fine print on the DL complimentary-upgrade page, I discovered that DL won't do what they just did for us within three hours of the flight.

So: if you're reading along and not already familiar with this routine [and you believe the DL website], apparently the word on the street's to NOT expect this to work at the gate.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.