Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What can I do with 5,400 Delta Skymiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can I do with 5,400 Delta Skymiles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Angry What can I do with 5,400 Delta Skymiles?

The Delta website won't let me get gift cards with it. Meh.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL, BA
Magazine / newspapers are always an option. It's a cheap way for me to get the economist.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG
There are also some very cheap, albeit questionable boutique hostels for about 5,000 per night.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 1:42 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mrbrad
Magazine / newspapers are always an option. It's a cheap way for me to get the economist.
This, IMO, is one of the best value/mile options out there. $120 subscription for 3,200 miles comes out to more than 4cpm. I just ordered three for holiday gifts.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
I assume the OP wants to divest the DL miles and does not intend to fly DL much or ever again in the future. If the OP can be patient enough to take advantage of various free mile offers that require minimal or no expenditure (e.g., DL partner promo if/when it comes around again), it shouldn't be hard to build that total up to 25,000, at which point it can be redeemed for a free ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Originally Posted by Jazzop
I assume the OP wants to divest the DL miles and does not intend to fly DL much or ever again in the future. If the OP can be patient enough to take advantage of various free mile offers that require minimal or no expenditure (e.g., DL partner promo if/when it comes around again), it shouldn't be hard to build that total up to 25,000, at which point it is in theory possible that it can be redeemed for a free ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Amen N615HL. IME, you need to build the total up to 32,500 in order to redeem for the vast majority of the free tickets on Delta. If you only have 25,000 miles, you will be continuously frustrated.

Originally Posted by Jazzop
. . . it shouldn't be hard to build that total up to 25,000, at which point it can be redeemed for a free ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
you could always try to gift the miles to someone who would pay you cash for it.

This is especially attractive with the 75% bonus now.

Someone (I know I would if the price is right) might be willing to pay for the transfer of miles and give you a little bit of cash if that is what you are after.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:10 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by dream7
Amen N615HL. IME, you need to build the total up to 32,500 in order to redeem for the vast majority of the free tickets on Delta. If you only have 25,000 miles, you will be continuously frustrated.
Domestic coach tickets can be had for 25K miles quite easily. I'm sure you can come up with some city pair or date range that frustrates you personally with the lack of availability. But the myth that you can't get a ticket for 25K miles is really getting on my nerves.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I second the magazine option. Wine spectator 15 issues for 900 miles when the normal subscription cost is $50 (and there are never specials available).... more than 5 cpm. Great deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.