Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International transfer in CAI - 2 separate tickets/itineraries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I am planning to book my parents on a creative itinerary from AMM to JFK that has them transferring from Royal Jordanian to Delta in CAI. The potential hitch is that I am planning to purchase the tickets separately, one for each leg.

Which leaves me wondering: How easy will it be for them to make an international transfer and check in with Delta upon arriving in CAI, without needing to clear customs and immigration? Will a 2h25min connection time be sufficient for them?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I have no experience with CAI but I can say that if for any reason they miss the DL connection, weather, mechanical, customs backlog, whatever, they will be on their own. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. I have friends who have been stuck with buying expensive walk up fares in just such scenarios. Yet they still do it when it saves them a bundle. Just depends on your comfort level, or theirs in this case and how much of a price difference it is.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta DM
I agree, this is risky for all the above reasons. The time they have could be enough - but only if everything goes well. They still must be stamped in as transit. I've done this when I've flown ASM-CAI-JFK and BEY-CAI-JFK. All are fast and even baggage claim is fast.

However, a very real risk is that they will be trying to check in about an hour and a half before departure. I can't comment specifically on Delta in CAI, but can tell you in general they are strict at check in. If ticket requires 2 hours advance for check in and they're a minute late, the desk could well be "closed" - and only available with payment of additional "fees," otherwise known as baksheesh or plain old bribes.

You can pay "fees" with a credit card, but it's billed by a local airport vendor, not the airline itself, so chargebacks are refused.

I'm always extremely cautious and expect no leniency or mercy in Cairo - from any airline. If it's your parents first trip to that region this arrangement may be very stressful and is probably best avoided.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:45 am
Suspended

Don't Do It

Originally Posted by Asmara
I agree, this is risky for all the above reasons. The time they have could be enough - but only if everything goes well. They still must be stamped in as transit. I've done this when I've flown ASM-CAI-JFK and BEY-CAI-JFK. All are fast and even baggage claim is fast.

However, a very real risk is that they will be trying to check in about an hour and a half before departure. I can't comment specifically on Delta in CAI, but can tell you in general they are strict at check in. If ticket requires 2 hours advance for check in and they're a minute late, the desk could well be "closed" - and only available with payment of additional "fees," otherwise known as baksheesh or plain old bribes.

You can pay "fees" with a credit card, but it's billed by a local airport vendor, not the airline itself, so chargebacks are refused.

I'm always extremely cautious and expect no leniency or mercy in Cairo - from any airline. If it's your parents first trip to that region this arrangement may be very stressful and is probably best avoided.
Do not do it per the above, especailly not at CAI. It can be an odd place. The Egyptians are nice people but the CAI airport is very, very third world. Book on O N E ticket so they will be taken care of in case of a misconnect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.