SkyClub member then Diamond

Old Nov 16, 10, 3:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM / MM - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,288
SkyClub member then Diamond

I did a search but did not see this answered.

I purchased a 3 year SkyClub membership earlier this year. A few weeks ago I made Diamond. Do they add a year to my membership? Or actually, I think it would be more than that since I would be Diamond thru 12/31/11 now.

Is there a way to see when my membership runs through?

I am surely hoping that I simply don't "get" this benefit because I was already a member.

Thanks!
lucycan is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 3:45 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: STL
Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
Posts: 1,751
Originally Posted by lucycan View Post
I am surely hoping that I simply don't "get" this benefit because I was already a member.
That's exactly what they offered to lifetime SC members who are also DM members.
hockeystl is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 4:23 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Altos
Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 1,105
SkyClub member then Diamond

Should Delta offer an alternative benefit other than SkyClub access to those who become Diamond and are already have lifetime SkyClub membership?
anbhc is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 4:33 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MKE
Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Posts: 3,219
I would like AMEX to add an alternative to the RESERVE card for people who are Diamond, or many will drop that card and downgrade to Plat
MR_MAMA is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 4:35 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: DL PM 1MM
Posts: 3,045
http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/skymi...qs.jsp#mem_ref

As soon as you qualify for Diamond, your existing membership is "on hold" and automatically extended for the number of months you qualify for Diamond status.
mnbp is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 4:38 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM / MM - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,288
Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
http://www.delta.com/help/faqs/skymi...qs.jsp#mem_ref

As soon as you qualify for Diamond, your existing membership is "on hold" and automatically extended for the number of months you qualify for Diamond status.
Thank you!
lucycan is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 4:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Posts: 1,224
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA View Post
I would like AMEX to add an alternative to the RESERVE card for people who are Diamond, or many will drop that card and downgrade to Plat
Seconded.
jsgoldbe is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 6:34 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Alabama
Programs: Delta DM-KM,BA,AA,HH,MRTPlat,Choice
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA View Post
I would like AMEX to add an alternative to the RESERVE card for people who are Diamond, or many will drop that card and downgrade to Plat
Agreed
khaden is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 6:40 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: STL
Programs: DL PM, DL SkClub LT, AA Gold, SPG Plat/LT Gold, IHG Plat, HH Diam, AS MVP
Posts: 1,751
Originally Posted by anbhc View Post
Should Delta offer an alternative benefit other than SkyClub access to those who become Diamond and are already have lifetime SkyClub membership?
I asked Jeff Robertson at the DO if any consideration was given to LT SC members that were also DM's. He claimed there were only a few dozen that fit that profile so DL never instituted an alternative benefit. I then asked him if a few SC passes would be possible each year (to distribute to friends/family) for LT SC DM's and he basically danced around providing an answer. It would be nice if DL would at least toss us a small bone since we're double qualified.....
hockeystl is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 6:52 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wherever the airlines take me!
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by hockeystl View Post
It would be nice if DL would at least toss us a small bone since we're double qualified.....
Agreed... very interesting that he said there were only a few dozen that met that profile and used that as ammo to shoot down doing something special for these customers.

I would think they'd see those few dozen as very loyal, deeply vested delta customers, on account of flying 160K miles/year and spending $2500 on a lifetime membership back in the NWA days, to still be flying Delta means they haven't been screwed over too badly.

When I was most recently evaluating a switch to United, my lifetime lounge membership factored into the decision (though not as much as my physical location).
td_in_training is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 6:55 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BNA (but WAS native)
Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, HH/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Posts: 23,816
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA View Post
I would like AMEX to add an alternative to the RESERVE card for people who are Diamond, or many will drop that card and downgrade to Plat
Ahead of you - I downgraded my Reserve card at lunchtime today because I had been paying for a largely-redundant benefit. On the topic in question, an alternative benefit would be excellent but there's sometimes trouble getting existing policy enforced.
icurhere2 is offline  
Old Nov 16, 10, 8:15 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Yellow Springs
Programs: AS MVPG75K, AA PPro
Posts: 1,424
Originally Posted by icurhere2 View Post
Ahead of you - I downgraded my Reserve card at lunchtime today because I had been paying for a largely-redundant benefit. On the topic in question, an alternative benefit would be excellent but there's sometimes trouble getting existing policy enforced.
Any chance of getting a pro-rated refund of the difference in the card fees? I'll be about 4 months into my renewal when I make it to DM.
flymonthly is offline  
Old Nov 17, 10, 9:14 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Altos
Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
Posts: 1,105
SkyClub member then Diamond

Perhaps Diamonds who have lifetime skyclub access should be able to gift SkyClub access membership each year they retain Diamond status


Originally Posted by anbhc View Post
Should Delta offer an alternative benefit other than SkyClub access to those who become Diamond and are already have lifetime SkyClub membership?
anbhc is offline  
Old Nov 17, 10, 11:02 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York, western US
Programs: DM/2MM
Posts: 3,966
Originally Posted by lucycan View Post
I did a search but did not see this answered.

I purchased a 3 year SkyClub membership earlier this year. A few weeks ago I made Diamond. Do they add a year to my membership? Or actually, I think it would be more than that since I would be Diamond thru 12/31/11 now.

Is there a way to see when my membership runs through?

I am surely hoping that I simply don't "get" this benefit because I was already a member.

Thanks!
To answer your question differently, about a month after I became Diamond I received a new SC membership card in the mail. The expiration date listed was exactly what it should have been...the 2/28/12 end of Diamond status (since they don't know if I'll requalify), plus they added the three or so months I had left in my membership...the new expiration date reflected that.

I hadn't gotten around to calling and was expecting a run around. Since this happened automatically, I was impressed. I suspect that they will send you a new card, and that expiration date will be 2/28/12 plus however many months you had left on your existing memebership.
TrojanTraveler is offline  
Old Nov 17, 10, 11:13 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Posts: 1,224
Originally Posted by flymonthly View Post
Any chance of getting a pro-rated refund of the difference in the card fees? I'll be about 4 months into my renewal when I make it to DM.
In my experience CC companies typically do pro-rate annual fees. Let us know what you find out after calling AMEX.
jsgoldbe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: