Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta A330-200 in Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Delta A330-200 in Business

I'm traveling to Rome in January on an A330-200 in Business. I've flown in the 767-300 and 767-400 in business before but never in the A330-200. How does it compare w/ the 767's ? Is the seat more comfortable,etc?

I look forward to any help that can be provided.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Far superior to the old and narrow cradle type seats in the 767. The A330 uses the NWA world business class seat pods, which recline to 180 degrees but at a slight incline angle where your head is higher than your feet instead of totally lie flat. There is much more privacy and room, especially compared to the 767-300, as well as better AVOD. Personally I think the A330 seat is much better than the old style 'first edition' business elite seat that is still in the 767.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
Far superior to the old and narrow cradle type seats in the 767. The A330 uses the NWA world business class seat pods, which recline to 180 degrees but at a slight incline angle where your head is higher than your feet instead of totally lie flat. There is much more privacy and room, especially compared to the 767-300, as well as better AVOD. Personally I think the A330 seat is much better than the old style 'first edition' business elite seat that is still in the 767.
I entirely agree with the above assessment, and go out of my way NOT to fly on DL planes that have the miserable recliner style BE seats. The NW WBC "tombstones" are much more comfortable, especially for side/stomach sleepers, as you can get flat. The trick to not sliding down is to use the seatbelt as a "sling" to keep you in place.

The "tombstones" have a MUCH better bigger sized AVOD, and seat controls.

However all that said, there are folks that like the "la-z-boy" seats.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
I avoid 767s at all cost (the 76D is not flying my routes). What a crappy BE product. Not much better than domestic F.
I truly enjoy the A330s. I love the seats. I somehow never had a sliding problem. AVOD has a bigger screen. And the galley is much better isolated.

Enjoy your flight. And once you flown the A330, you will understand the pretty unanimous knee jerk reaction you elicited.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Accor Live Limitless Diamond
I like both

I've been on the A330s in biz, and they are very comfortable. You'll have a nice ride.

My partner and I are atypical in liking the 767s at least as much. We are both 6'+, and broad-shouldered, yet have no problem with the width of the 767 biz seats. They are comfortable to nap in, and we both seem to sleep better in the recliner position most of the time, compared to the 170deg lie-flat.

I've written some detailed reviews and comparisons of the seats in the trip reports, either on Flyertalk or Airliners.net. Just do a search on my username (same for both sites).

There is more than enough room, with plenty to spare, for bodies our size in either seat. The 767 seats are softer, but not lacking in back-support. The A330 seats, with the canopy, provide more personal privacy and more space between your head and the head next to you. This can be particularly beneficial if travelling alone. The 767 seats have never felt cramped, but there is definitely less space between seats than on the A330. We enjoy each and don't book specifically toward/away from either aircraft.

When I first sit in the A330 seat, it feels uncomfortably-firm, but that improves very quickly, perhaps as the foam in the seat cusion warms up. It also feels at first like I'm going to tip forward out of the seat. I find that by using the seat controls to nudge the thigh-support forward while the plane is still on the ground, the seat suddenly becomes way more comfortable for sitting upright. I usually keep the thigh support in the slightly-forward position on the ground and through takeoff, with the rest of the seat in its original position, and that seems to do the trick.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by AM-PM-DM
What a crappy BE product. Not much better than domestic F.
Nonsense. The BE seat reclines 160 degrees and has 60 inches pitch. Domestic F reclines about 120 degrees at most and has about 38 inches of seat pitch.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Nonsense. The BE seat reclines 160 degrees and has 60 inches pitch. Domestic F reclines about 120 degrees at most and has about 38 inches of seat pitch.
Sure the specs are correct, but it is still the worst J product out there.
And while I certainly would take the 767 J over domestic F on a TATL, I rather not fly 767 at all. It also does not help that these seats have a tendency to be broken. Another issue, reminding me of domestic F.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: Varying levels of elite and non-elite across several vendors.
Delta A330 in Biz

I recently did a full video review of DL service to Hawaii aboard an A330-300 in Biz. It should give you a good idea of what's in store...sans the special Hawaiian perks.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
So what is a good seat selection on the flight?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Not a big fan of these seats, particularly for sleeping, as you'll spend your entire evening sliding down.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan
180 degrees is level, not slightly angled.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DDCT

::sigh:: sometimes I wonder...

I was going to say, perhaps the poster should have said "albeit not horizontal" but then I re-read the post and it actually gives an ever more precise and detailed explanation of the physics of the situation...
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I like these seats and have slept wonderfully in them every time I've been in WBC/BE. I'm a side sleeper and 6'4". No problems here.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
No, 180 degrees is the measure of the relationship of the seat to the seat back. Level is the relationship between the 180 angle and gravity. You must be 180 degrees to be level, but you do not need to be level to be 180 degrees.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by runninaway
No, 180 degrees is the measure of the relationship of the seat to the seat back. Level is the relationship between the 180 angle and gravity. You must be 180 degrees to be level, but you do not need to be level to be 180 degrees.
Correct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.