Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta A330-200 in Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The seats are pretty much infinitely adjustable. Don't like the near-flat position? Don't use it! I have no problem sleeping in them when adjusting to a cradle-like position.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 4:41 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ
The seats are pretty much infinitely adjustable. Don't like the near-flat position? Don't use it! I have no problem sleeping in them when adjusting to a cradle-like position.
This is my favorite defense of the WBC seat. Just move it to a cradle position and it's fine!

Well then you're basically sitting in the BE seat from the 763ER.

Obviously, the PMDL seat is a bit narrower and there's less privacy. It's clearly an old design and it eventually will disappear.

But I've always found it perfectly comfortable.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by runninaway
No, 180 degrees is the measure of the relationship of the seat to the seat back. Level is the relationship between the 180 angle and gravity. You must be 180 degrees to be level, but you do not need to be level to be 180 degrees.
I disagree, it's the relationship to the floor or the attitude of the aircraft. This is not debatable.

....note to self, never let a flyertalk member build a house.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You may disagree, but that doesn't mean it is "not debatable".
According to airline lingo, 180 degrees means the angle of the seat back when it is in full recline, not the relative position of the seat to the floor. Delta calls these seats 176 degree recline but are not 'flat bed' or 'lay flat', and I think its obvious that the seats are at more than a 4 degree angle from the floor.
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...te/seating.jsp
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DDCT
I disagree, it's the relationship to the floor or the attitude of the aircraft. This is not debatable.

So, in degrees, what is the measure of the angle between the seat and the seatback?

Hey, if you can't be right, at least be confident.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First

Well for what its worth the "perceived angle when in a 777 lie flat is actually uncomfortable because your head is below your toes (pitch attitude of the AC).I usually put part of my duvet at on the seat back to boost my head above my feet. Would not build a house like that but the perceived angle is worth more than the actual angle for something like this.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Obviously, the PMDL seat is a bit narrower and there's less privacy. It's clearly an old design and it eventually will disappear.

But I've always found it perfectly comfortable.
And this is my favorite defense of the old 90s era BE cradle seats. "Yes, given this, this and this, but it's still perfectly comfortable!"

Most people seem to be able to find a way to sleep well enough in the fully reclined (nearly flat) WBC seats. If for whatever reason you can't, at least you do have other ways to configure the seat for your own optimum seating.

The 90s era BE recliners, OTOH, have no such choice. My living room recliner reclines further than the old DL BE recliners.

But have no fear, they'll eventually disappear! (In the meantime, I book away from the BE recliners every chance I can get.)
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TheMoose
And this is my favorite defense of the old 90s era BE cradle seats. "Yes, given this, this and this, but it's still perfectly comfortable!"

Most people seem to be able to find a way to sleep well enough in the fully reclined (nearly flat) WBC seats. If for whatever reason you can't, at least you do have other ways to configure the seat for your own optimum seating.

The 90s era BE recliners, OTOH, have no such choice. My living room recliner reclines further than the old DL BE recliners.

But have no fear, they'll eventually disappear! (In the meantime, I book away from the BE recliners every chance I can get.)
The key to the WBC seats is to use the seat belt (extended all the way) as a sling for your arse (think hammock). It can be used for side/back/front sleeping and It works brilliantly.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by runninaway
So, in degrees, what is the measure of the angle between the seat and the seatback?

Hey, if you can't be right, at least be confident.
Seatback position doesn't matter because when the seat is flat the back is no longer a reference. RyanAir released their stand up seating concept. I suppose you would have called that a lay flat?

It's obvious I would be wasting my time explaining simple geometry, but I would love to hear your theory on using parallel lines as geometric reference points.

The pitch of the seat is 176 degrees. This is what everyone but you and very few others understand.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Seatback position doesn't matter because when the seat is flat the back is no longer a reference. RyanAir released their stand up seating concept. I suppose you would have called that a lay flat?
Which poster said the 180 degree seats for WBC were "lie-flat"?

But by all means, keep debating your 'non-debatable' point...
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
On the 330-200 which BE seat would be the better choice, 1J or 3J ? Any input would be appreciated.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ,Ba,,UA,DL,AA Gold ,Hyatt Platinum,Amex Plat., Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks to everyone who replied. Your insights and suggestions are a big help!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I'll be honest and say that after reading all of this...Nobody said the WBC seats were lie-flat. They said they were 180º. And yes, "stand-up seats" with a flat back would also be 180º.

It's obvious I would be wasting my time explaining simple geometry, but I would love to hear your theory on using parallel lines as geometric reference points.
_\ = 60 degrees (well, to be truthful, I'm not sure what angle slashes are, but let's just pretend they're 60 degrees for now, ok?)
_| = 90 degrees
_/ = 120 degrees
__ = 180 degrees

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

The pitch of the seat is 176 degrees. This is what everyone but you and very few others understand.
Here's what I don't understand: How can you possibly measure pitch in degrees? Pitch (when referring to aircraft seating) is essentially the amount of space between seat backs, and is most commonly measured in inches or centimeters.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by acf1270
On the 330-200 which BE seat would be the better choice, 1J or 3J ? Any input would be appreciated.
I really like 1J on the 333, and can't imagine that it's much different on the 332. Very private feeling, and still having plenty of legroom.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
I really like 1J on the 333, and can't imagine that it's much different on the 332. Very private feeling, and still having plenty of legroom.
Here I'm the opposite. I prefer 3J, because I prefer having storage under the seat (dont' have to climb over someone to get a book after take off).

I find the J on the A330 to be GREAT. As so many have said, the seat is much better. I find it more comfortable for both eating and sleeping. If you're "lounging", the Z position is nice.

As to AVOD, I like the screen more and in my experience is more reliable.

The J cabin I find to be quieter on the A330 compared to the 767.

One down side during the meal, the crew have much less space to move things around (much less counter room) when plating food.

I do have a REAL issue that post merger they use a tray for appetizers. I think they are tacky.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.