Wiki Posts
Search

US-EU via YVR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, IC Royal Amb, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First
US-EU via YVR

I'm planning a trip to Europe for next month, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to connect via Vancouver. Has anyone done this? Is a 3 hour layover long enough? Should I expect to be hassled at customs? How far would I need to go from the Delta gates to the KLM gate? Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 4:29 pm

It's actually incredibly easy, and (usually) quick. At busier times, there's a special immigration post set up for connecting passengers with a bridge into the international part of the terminal. Even if you have to immigrate and re-clear security, three hours is ample. (Last time I did it, I went from Horizon arrival gate to AC lounge in 15 minutes.)

YVR has a handy tool with more info: http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/...rough-yvr.aspx

(Coming back can be more involved -- you have to go through US pre-clearance, which can be unpredictable. But it's still a smooth process.)
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamespvg
It's actually incredibly easy, and (usually) quick. At busier times, there's a special immigration post set up for connecting passengers with a bridge into the international part of the terminal. Even if you have to immigrate and re-clear security, three hours is ample. (Last time I did it, I went from Horizon arrival gate to AC lounge in 15 minutes.)

YVR has a handy tool with more info: http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/...rough-yvr.aspx

(Coming back can be more involved -- you have to go through US pre-clearance, which can be unpredictable. But it's still a smooth process.)
If lounge access matters to you, research the airport set-up carefully. A colleague did this outbound US-EU connecting through Eastern Canada (I don't remember all the details) at an airport with a SkyTeam lounge that he could not use because transit passengers couldn't get into that area. I believe it might have been a KLM lounge and a KLM flight.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If lounge access matters to you, research the airport set-up carefully. A colleague did this outbound US-EU connecting through Eastern Canada (I don't remember all the details) at an airport with a SkyTeam lounge that he could not use because transit passengers couldn't get into that area. I believe it might have been a KLM lounge and a KLM flight.
At least at YVR, that's not that case. There is no "transit area" -- either way, you end up in the main international departure terminal. KLM uses the Plaza Premium lounge -- pretty close to the entrance.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, IC Royal Amb, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by jamespvg

Thanks for the link. It looks like it's fairly simple if I arrive in the middle of the day with my luggage checked in. Do I still need to go to border services if I'm carrying on a laptop bag?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I did this through YYC and it took a good hour and a half to go through immigration (line was crazy), pick up my bags, go through customs, recheck my bags, and go through security. Maybe that's not normal, but it wasn't as smooth as I thought.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
I did this through YYC and it took a good hour and a half to go through immigration (line was crazy), pick up my bags, go through customs, recheck my bags, and go through security. Maybe that's not normal, but it wasn't as smooth as I thought.
Sounds a lot faster than ATL though.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by slwkf1
Thanks for the link. It looks like it's fairly simple if I arrive in the middle of the day with my luggage checked in. Do I still need to go to border services if I'm carrying on a laptop bag?
(Border Services is just the Canadian version of US CBP.) There's just a small CBSA counter above the main hall where transit passengers are processed into the international area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.