Pre-departure and arrival music

Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Pre-departure and arrival music

I realize this topic isn't the end of the world but I'm curious if anyone else finds the music played throughout many of the DL cabins during boarding and just after landing while taxing to the gate, soothing, enjoyable, stressful etc.?

If the point of the music is to be calming and soothing then I think a different genre should be chosen such as instrumentals or classical but what IS played, IMO I find irritating and anxiety provoking, especially if I have a tight connection to make.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I just too...fill in the blank.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
No, you are not too... It is often anything but soothing or calming. Someone said in a recent post the hardest part of the day can be getting to that seat and the last thing I want to hear is an attack on my auditory nerves. Frequently the music is too loud and one has to wonder who chooses the music? Classical is not what I normally listen to but would be a much more reasonable choice.

I don't know what Virgin America does differently, they certainly don't play classical. But the boarding music experience is somehow better.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I actually really like the boarding music. Whoever picks it out is fairly well informed, and they do a good job mixing established and emerging artists.

I know the stressful feeling you're talking about and have experienced it too, but I'd submit it's more from the actual stress of wanting to make a tight connection than the music itself. (That, and occasionally some flight attendants crank the volume to 11, which can be distracting...)
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
DL's cabin music selection is a bit odd...

I would agree that something more instumental would be better during boarding, taxi, and deplaining.

That said, I am one of those people that thinks there is a song for every mood and situation. Often when we land, (especially if late) my mind goes to some up temp disco-ish type song meant to get people motivated and moving. Perhaps one of those great movie soundracks where there is some sort of chase scene.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Here's last month's boarding music mix as an example, by the way:

Colbie Caillat - Rainbow
Jason Mraz - I'm Yours
Dido - Never Want to Say It's Love
Gelka - Under My Star (feat. Beth Hirsch)
Robbie Williams - Starstruck
Shine - In the Midlife Zone
Thievery Corporation - Sweet Tides (feat. LouLou)
Anjulie - Colombia
John Mayer - Heartbreak Warfare
Corinne Bailey Rae - Feels Like the First Time
Michael Warren - Just Friends
India.Arie - A Beautiful Day
Norah Jones - Back to Manhattan
Jonny Diaz - Stand for You
Aimee Allen - On Vacation
Sam & Ruby - Too Much

To be fair, I sometimes opt out of the boarding music as I have my own tradition of compiling playlists for each hub city that i keep on my Zune HD. Atlanta's is a variety of crunk, for example, and for Detroit I love to include Fedde le Grand's "Put Your Hands Up For Detroit".

I've said a few times I'd love to see Delta focus on local touches for each SkyClub, and a music downloading station or suggested playlist available in each city would be a lot of fun. (Would also love to see emerging local artists provide art for the clubs instead of the mind-numbing hotel room style corporate art that's currently in many of them.)

Last edited by BenA; Nov 9, 2010 at 9:09 am Reason: adding local flavor comments
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: AA - PP
I wouldn't mind it so much if they had more than what seems about a 60 second loop of music. By the 12th time hearing the same thing, it tends to grind a bit.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Music is so subjective. There will never be a universal consensus on what is "relaxing" or "good" music, and as a result I think this thread will be interesting.

I personally really like the music they choose. It suits my style and I even recognize a lot of it, which is rare for me in a world of hip hop and bad emo rock. Were it classical, I'd probably stress out thinking I was waiting for a root canal. Virgin America's music is too Eurotrashy for my particular tastes. I feel like I should be dropping some X and putting on my high-rise shoes whenever I (rarely) take a VA flight.

But that's just me.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, DL 0.8MM
Once upon a time, on a DL 757, the boarding music was "Beautiful" by an artist named Akon... I remember making eye contact with an elderly lady just as he sang "not like a hooker, but more like a princess" and since then I've always wondered how they choose boarding music. I agree it should be soothing, not controversial, ... how about Enya? Please?

I can say... and I really dont mean to flare up a DL v NW thing here (if its even possible anymore to post without worrying about that) but I am glad this is gone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxA5wqygNTo
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by Moebius01
I wouldn't mind it so much if they had more than what seems about a 60 second loop of music. By the 12th time hearing the same thing, it tends to grind a bit.
I agree. Music is not much of a concern as long as doesn't include some song that is going to get stuck in my head after hearing it 4 times. Even then it is not much of a concern.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Originally Posted by td_in_training
Once upon a time, on a DL 757, the boarding music was "Beautiful" by an artist named Akon... I remember making eye contact with an elderly lady just as he sang "not like a hooker, but more like a princess" and since then I've always wondered how they choose boarding music. I agree it should be soothing, not controversial, ... how about Enya? Please?

I can say... and I really dont mean to flare up a DL v NW thing here (if its even possible anymore to post without worrying about that) but I am glad this is gone:

OMG this music caused my blood pressure to rise while sitting in the comfort of my own home. Clearly music is subjective and clearer still I am not a fan of the current play list - perhaps "silence is golden" should be the new mantra. Besides I can't hear all the snarky DYKWIA's over the loud tunes.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by td_in_training

While we are on the subject... How About...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdB7o0AM8cQ

Oh and for those of you have flown Republic. Here is a tune to play in the back of your head for the rest of the day.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow4_h...re=relatedWith a twist..

And... Since DL is a little southern ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK5jfblvfJo
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
The boarding music was so loud on yesterday's (11/8) PHX-DTW noon nonstop, that conversation with the person sitting next to me proved impossible. No matter what type of music is played, too loud is too loud.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Delta SKY music Gary B "Slow it down"

Originally Posted by FetePerfection
I realize this topic isn't the end of the world but I'm curious if anyone else finds the music played throughout many of the DL cabins during boarding and just after landing while taxing to the gate, soothing, enjoyable, stressful etc.?

If the point of the music is to be calming and soothing then I think a different genre should be chosen such as instrumentals or classical but what IS played, IMO I find irritating and anxiety provoking, especially if I have a tight connection to make.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I just too...fill in the blank.
I love the skymusic when I board. Makes me feel home. You can talk about it to Delta direct at blog here:

http://blog.delta.com/category/tunes-onboard/

I found one of my now favorite singers etc via Delta. He is Gary B

http://blog.delta.com/2009/10/05/oct...es-2/#comments

http://www.myspace.com/luminousmusic

Delta played "Slow it down" both on hold music and on flights. Very very nice.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
They Ought to Play the "Breezeway" Song

"yo silver is a joke . . . yo in da back wif da common folk".
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by ND76
"yo silver is a joke . . . yo in da back wif da common folk".
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.