Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta jet evacuated at PDX after boxcutter blades are found

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Link: http://www.katu.com/news/local/106539818.html

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - The FBI says it is investigating "suspicious items" found on a Delta Air Lines flight from Tokyo to Oregon.

But an FBI spokeswoman said they were not explosive devices. A statement sent to the media by Delta airlines said that boxcutter blades were found onboard flight 90 from Tokyo and the plane was cleared "out of an adundance of caution."

Delta did not say where the blades were found on the aircraft.

Terrorists aboard airliners involved in the Sept. 11 attacks used boxcutters to overpower air crews and keep passengers at bay.

The Delta flight arrived about 8 a.m. Tuesday at Portland International Airport with 155 passengers and 10 crew members.

Federal agents were interviewing passengers and crew members, and searching baggage and the plane for possible evidence
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Was it really necessary to evacuate because of it?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by N639DL
While we probably don't know all the facts just yet, on the surface it does seem to be a bit of an over-reaction.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
While we probably don't know all the facts just yet, on the surface it does seem to be a bit of an over-reaction.
My thoughts exactly. Nobody's lives were in danger simply because of the fact that the box cutters were on board. If it was pointed at somebody, then thats a totally different story, but that is not the case as far as anyone knows.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
You can't cut the Tuna with DL table knives.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL FO
Even if the box cutters were found in the cabin, how are they any more dangerous than the knives that accompany meals?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
FBI opens criminal investigation

Because a crew member found some blades?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by N639DL

No.

Delta.Statement.pdf

Passengers were kept in the plane on the tarmac while the plane was searched, according to airport officials.

Federal agents interviewed all of the passengers, sent them through customs and released them, Steele said.

The incident did not disrupt any other operations at PDX, said Steve Johnson, spokesman for the Port of Portland, which runs the airport.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Once again, massive overreaction beyond reasonable bound. And how much of my tax money is being spent on fueling this tea-bagger fantasy?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Once again, massive overreaction beyond reasonable bound. And how much of my tax money is being spent on fueling this tea-bagger fantasy?
"If you don't have federalism, it doesn't work," said Sen. John D. Rockefeller, D-W.Va.

"You can't professionalize unless you federalize," agreed Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D

OK, now backing away from OMNI-land.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: SM-GM ~ PC-PM ~ HGP-PM ~ SPG-GM
Originally Posted by stealthmidget
"out of an adundance of caution."
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
No.

Delta.Statement.pdf

Passengers were kept in the plane on the tarmac while the plane was searched, according to airport officials.

Federal agents interviewed all of the passengers, sent them through customs and released them, Steele said.

The incident did not disrupt any other operations at PDX, said Steve Johnson, spokesman for the Port of Portland, which runs the airport.
It said in the title of the link the OP has that it was evacuated.

Either way, it is still over reacting. What's next...a paper clip is a deadly weapon?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by stealthmidget
"out of an adundance of caution."
You beat me to it... x100000
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Is that flight incoming from NRT, am I correct? I don't seems any evidence is being founds. None of the passengers who doesn't have any arrestable and it doesn't have a involved to carrys the boxcutters. It wasn't taking responsible to searches the weapons onboard the entire aircraft. TSA & DHS will have more further investigations against the passengers or whether who did it.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: SM-GM ~ PC-PM ~ HGP-PM ~ SPG-GM
Originally Posted by N830MH
Is that flight incoming from NRT, am I correct? I don't seems any evidence is being founds. None of the passengers who doesn't have any arrestable and it doesn't have a involved to carrys the boxcutters. It wasn't taking responsible to searches the weapons onboard the entire aircraft. TSA & DHS will have more further investigations against the passengers or whether who did it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.