FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Membership Rewards 50% bonus and 25K DL MQM for 50K MR Transfer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1143099-membership-rewards-50-bonus-25k-dl-mqm-50k-mr-transfer.html)

tmcneill Nov 1, 2010 6:07 pm

fti Nov 1, 2010 6:14 pm

Very interesting. So if I have 50K MQM already this year and transfer 50K miles, I get 25K MQM so that will make me PM for next year? That would be worth it just for the unlimited free changes to award tickets.

But since the MQM's will be posted within 4 weeks of the end of the promotion, does that mean they will in reality be 2011 MQM's? If so, that won't be nearly as good for me.

MSPeconomist Nov 1, 2010 6:23 pm

I normally wouldn't transfer MR points into SkyMiles, even with a 50% bonus given the SkyMiles inflation we've been seeing, but the 25K MQMs and 75K bonus miles for 50K MR points and a small fee (about 1/25 cent per bonus mile, much cheaper than buying or transferring SkyMiles between accounts) makes this a viable option for those who need less than 25K for a status level. The deal could even work for someone who wants more rollover as insurance for next year.

I would guess that these are 2010 MQMs since the transaction must occur well before then end of the calendar year, but the T&C don't seem to specify. I wonder whether there's a typo in the transfer fee given how cheap it seems to be compared to the fee (IIRC close to one cent per mile, or the value of the things) to transfer SkyMiles between accounts.

For many people, this offer would be much less attractive if one doesn't know for sure whether the MQMs will count for 2010 or 2011. Some do not want them now to preserve rollover while others want them for status now, to use the status during 2011.

fti Nov 1, 2010 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 15055997)
I normally wouldn't transfer MR points into SkyMiles, even with a 50% bonus given the SkyMiles inflation we've been seeing, but the 25K MQMs and 75K bonus miles for 50K MR points and a small fee (about 1/25 cent per bonus mile, much cheaper than buying or transferring SkyMiles between accounts) makes this a viable option for those who need less than 25K for a status level. The deal could even work for someone who wants more rollover as insurance for next year.

I would guess that these are 2010 MQMs since the transaction must occur well before then end of the calendar year, but the T&C don't seem to specify. I wonder whether there's a typo in the transfer fee given how cheap it seems to be compared to the fee (IIRC close to one cent per mile, or the value of the things) to transfer SkyMiles between accounts.

For many people, this offer would be much less attractive if one doesn't know for sure whether the MQMs will count for 2010 or 2011. Some do not want them now to preserve rollover while others want them for status now, to use the status during 2011.

It is only a 25K mile bonus not a 75K mile bonus (50% of 50K is 25K). The total miles received on a 50K transfer is 75K including the bonus. But I still find value in this offer. I am flexible enough in many of my travels that I almost always can find low level awards. It is not easy and takes a ton of time, but it is possible. Fortunately I also can use AS (since many of my award trips are to Alaska) and fortunately through Feb 2011 I have unlimited changes to award tickets. And the stopover provision on domestic awards means if I transfer 67K miles I end up with 100K miles. With that number of miles I can basically get 6 or more trips from 4 domestic awards. That averages out to under 17K miles per trip. Note that in my mind "trip" and "award" mean different things.

And yes, the transfer fee is low. You only pay the tax that AmEx pays on the miles. The "transfer" itself is "free." Kind of like SPG to an airline program.

My guess is that since the MQM's are credited 4-6 weeks after the end of the program, they would be 2011 MQM's. 4-6 weeks after Dec 15th is well into 2011.

turkeyRIOO Nov 1, 2010 6:39 pm

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen MQMs with MR transfers. PM here I come!

I can use those PM SWUs on a T fare to SYD right?

The 50% SM bonus is even better than the 40% bonus that required a massive number of MR points in the Spring. There must be a quota for the American Express bankruptcy funding by the end of the year. This is a REALLY great promotion if you have a non-DL Amex.

thepointsguy Nov 1, 2010 6:41 pm

WOW. This promo is huge- I'm almost in disbelief. I feel like I just found a free mileage run to Sydney- but I don't actually have to suffer through coach.

Diamond was out of striking distance for me.. Now, not so much.

Spiff Nov 1, 2010 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO (Post 15056086)

Uh, no. :D

M+ fare or higher, Z class needed to upgrade into.

tmcneill Nov 1, 2010 6:46 pm

thepointsguy Nov 1, 2010 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO (Post 15056086)

Ha- sadly no- only YBM

fti Nov 1, 2010 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by tmcneill (Post 15056138)
Do you get status as soon as you reach 25K MQM. So if they post in 2011, when would your status start and end... February 2013?

That is my guess. What it would mean for me is GM status through Feb 2012 (attained this year, mainly through rollover) and probably getting GM status through Feb 2013. I would get a DL AmEx and/or fly enough in 2011 to get 25K MQM to add to the 25K MQM through this promo.

longing4piedmont Nov 1, 2010 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by tmcneill (Post 15055881)
https://www.delta.com/pet/gofarther/pet/main

This offer is non-transferable and is only eligible for the SkyMiles member receiving this communication directly from Delta Air Lines.

Hummm......From the fine print.

fti Nov 1, 2010 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by thepointsguy (Post 15056149)
Ha- sadly no- only YBM

LOL. You are five minutes too late. See post #7. Many people don't read entire threads, even short ones, before posting :D

turkeyRIOO Nov 1, 2010 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 15056110)
Uh, no. :D

M+ fare or higher, Z class needed to upgrade into.

I have stayed away from the SWU debate since I have never had a snowball's chance in hell at PM before. Now I may have to pay more attention to the M+ class and protection of the hundreds of millions in revenue discussion.

fti Nov 1, 2010 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by thepointsguy (Post 15056100)
Diamond was out of striking distance for me.. Now, not so much.

I purposely held short of DM last year and was extremely glad that I did. I was very happy with PM and the huge rollover that will let me have GM next year with almost no paid flights on DL this year.

MSPeconomist Nov 1, 2010 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 15056052)
It is only a 25K mile bonus not a 75K mile bonus (50% of 50K is 25K). The total miles received on a 50K transfer is 75K including the bonus. But I still find value in this offer. I am flexible enough in many of my travels that I almost always can find low level awards. It is not easy and takes a ton of time, but it is possible. Fortunately I also can use AS (since many of my award trips are to Alaska) and fortunately through Feb 2011 I have unlimited changes to award tickets. And the stopover provision on domestic awards means if I transfer 67K miles I end up with 100K miles. With that number of miles I can basically get 6 or more trips from 4 domestic awards. That averages out to under 17K miles per trip. Note that in my mind "trip" and "award" mean different things.

And yes, the transfer fee is low. You only pay the tax that AmEx pays on the miles. The "transfer" itself is "free." Kind of like SPG to an airline program.

My guess is that since the MQM's are credited 4-6 weeks after the end of the program, they would be 2011 MQM's. 4-6 weeks after Dec 15th is well into 2011.

Sorry for any confusion. I was referring to the 75K miles, 50K transferred and 25K extra, as bonus miles to distinguish them from MQMs or BIS miles. I realize that the total is 75K, not 75K on top of the 50K transferred. I also calculated the transfer fee on the basis of the additional 75K miles available to be spent.