Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Membership Rewards 50% bonus and 25K DL MQM for 50K MR Transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Membership Rewards 50% bonus and 25K DL MQM for 50K MR Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:35 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by silam
Question for you Delta Gurus -

I currently have 33k Delta miles, but I don't fly Delta and have no status. These miles have slowly accumulated from Northwest tickets when they were significantly cheaper than anyone else. I'm an AA flyer (plat if it matters). I have 50k MR points; is pushing me over the 100k threshold make it worth it? I only know about availability etc from hearing other people's (negative) opinions on Delta's product. I'm not sure if the blackout dates etc make this not worth it for someone who doesn't know how they would use the miles.

Basically - whats your take on this based on no status, but would push me over 100k miles. I primarily fly overseas late spring/early summer and late summer/early fall if that affects anything.

Thanks!
There are no "blackout dates" just dates with little or no award availability. Without having status, it is tough finding award availability. I assume with 100K miles you are looking at J award to Europe? When do you want to fly, how flexible would your dates be and are you willing to book less than a month in advance? Are you willing to call DL vs. trying to use their website? Are you willing to call several times before you get a cooperative phone rep? Summer and holidays is especially tough for Europe awards.

If you are willing to put effort into it, I could see transferring 45K miles to get 67,500 RDM's (added to your 33K gives over 100K). If you don't fly DL anyway, FO status is worthless for one J award. So why transfer the other 5K?

Just some thoughts.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fti
Seems like a lot of people have no time or desire to read a few posts in this thread
Or the fact that your post is nonsense. You are making an assumption based upon the experiences of a select few. I registered yesterday, still no MQM or Bonus miles.(There goes your theory down the drain.) I'll stick to Delta's T&C's over your opposite uniformed "0%" chances of it happening.

That being said the question asked was how long does the status last if granted in January as opposed to December, which your response was of worthless value to. Next time just read and keep it moving if you can't contribute anything positive.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Thanks OP- I owe you a few beers at the SC! I was not targeted and signed up through the OPs link. I received the transfer amount amount last night- just over 50k MRewards to SM. The bonus RDMs and MQMs showed up this afternoon. The MQM bonus showed up as 50000 in the account activity part but the correct amount, 25000, in the top of the page annual MQM total. I am now a GM for the first time since 2000 and will gladly use it on my BNA-SFO MRun on the 11th. I have PM in my sights for the first time.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:25 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlad1101
I'll stick to Delta's T&C's over your opposite uniformed "0%" chances of it happening.
Let me know when you get MQM's credited in 2011. I won't hold my breath for your post of that happening though

Originally Posted by mlad1101
That being said the question asked was how long does the status last if granted in January as opposed to December
Found right on delta.com
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by fti
For <$3K you can easily get 75K MQM with various cheap fares, fare mistakes, double MQM promotions, etc. Do that in Jan or Feb and you have PM for two years, at an average of <$1,500/year. So why give DL $1,500 cash for GM (even if they offered that option!) when you can give them that much for PM and RDM's and have the fun of multiple MR's.
$3K and 75,000 MQM in Jan/Feb? Really? From MSP?

Show me how, please. thanks
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:45 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by twoner32
$3K and 75,000 MQM in Jan/Feb? Really? From MSP?

Show me how, please. thanks
I didn't say from MSP, you did . You need a positioning flight if you are going to get the most bang for your buck.

One example - wait for cheap coast-to-coast fares. Just looked and saw a $200 PHL-SEA all-in fare in MR forum. Figure min 4,800 miles RT (say 5K to make the math easy). That was UA but if you are looking months in advance, you can find something similar with DL.

5K miles for $200
or
50K miles for $2,000
or
75K miles for $3,000

So for 15 round trips, you get PM status for two years if you do that early in the year. Time it right with red eyes from west coast to east coast and you can do that in 7-8 days. You might need to spend another couple hundred to get into position, or just "miss" the last leg if you transit MSP. Or if the $200 fare mentioned above ends up being $150, even with the positioning flight you would be well under $3K

Wanaflyforless did something like this with AA several years ago (he actually earned 100K EQM). I did a DXB-YYZ MR x 3 a couple of years ago in J that didn't cost too much more than $3K and earned me 75K EQM and 150K RDM (not including the choice benefit). Since I did it in January, PM status was basically for more than two years (through Feb 2 years later).

Definitely possible if you put your mind to it.

Last edited by fti; Nov 2, 2010 at 3:52 pm
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by fti
Definitely possible if you put your mind to it.
And you have time in your life for 7 days of mileage running.. i.e. flying just for the miles.

With a family, a busy job, and playing around on here all day, I don't
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG plat, DL silver
How can I get 2K additional points?

I am at 45K points on an AmEx corporate card that doesn't allow points to be advanced, with another 3K to be added next month. Is there any way to get the additional points?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by fti
Wanaflyforless did something like this with AA several years ago (he actually earned 100K EQM). I did a DXB-YYZ MR x 3 a couple of years ago in J that didn't cost too much more than $3K and earned me 75K EQM and 150K RDM (not including the choice benefit). Since I did it in January, PM status was basically for more than two years (through Feb 2 years later).
And you sir, are still my all time FT hero for that marathon
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFlyer
I am at 45K points on an AmEx corporate card that doesn't allow points to be advanced, with another 3K to be added next month. Is there any way to get the additional points?
Welcome to Flyertalk!

There is a thread in the MilesBuzz area that deals with $1 coin purchases from the US Mint at no cost.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-shipping.html
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:04 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
And you sir, are still my all time FT hero for that marathon
My feat paled in comparison to some of the stories I heard at the Chicago Seminar DO. And being in J, it was less of a marathon than it could have been! But I would definitely consider something like that again if the timing and price were right.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
And you have time in your life for 7 days of mileage running.. i.e. flying just for the miles.

With a family, a busy job, and playing around on here all day, I don't
It's funny to me that so many folks in this thread have scoffed at the idea of boosting status via a partner promo, but they think nothing of a one-day, 6-city mileage run solely to take advantage of a MQM promotion from a focus city. Which is just another way of working the system. And now I'm pondering a MR myself to get to the next level since I'm going to fall just short of Gold. See what you people have done to me!

I've flown gold-level BIS this year already, just not all of it was paid (darn that provision!).
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:20 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
It's funny to me that so many folks in this thread have scoffed at the idea of boosting status via a partner promo, but they think nothing of a one-day, 6-city mileage run solely to take advantage of a MQM promotion from a focus city. Which is just another way of working the system.
A one-day, 6-city MR is not working the system, it is cheating (no quotes!!).
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold;DL GM
Originally Posted by fti

Actually I forgot about the 20K skymiles as a plat benefit. That makes this, in reality, almost a 100% bonus for me. 50K + 25K + 20K = 95K
Could someone take a minute to explain what is meant by the 20k plat benefit?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by ljderm
Could someone take a minute to explain what is meant by the 20k plat benefit?
It is an option to choose if you become Platinum. Delta gives you a few options to choose from once you reach that tier as a bonus - 20,000 bonus miles is one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.