Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Membership Rewards 50% bonus and 25K DL MQM for 50K MR Transfer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Membership Rewards 50% bonus and 25K DL MQM for 50K MR Transfer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:52 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by wjudge
I did the same last year. Rolled over about 35k MQM's last year and stayed put at PM. Will probably roll about 20k this year, but I fly enough to hit at least PM again.
My comment was as much tongue-in-cheek than anything. But thanks for the update.

Originally Posted by msp2msy
I'm with ya. I'm at 70k MQM (largely part due to a RDU-SIN run). While I'll fly ~45-55 segments/year, I don't naturally fly enough to make gold or platinum so I was looking forward to staying gold and having strong rollover into next year + this MQM bonus (assuming it was after 1/1) for almost instant gold.

I'll still probably do it. My calculation looks like this:
Without: 80k MR in bank and rolling over 20k MQM. Gold through 2/2012.
With: 30k MR in bank and rolling over 25-30k MQM. Platinum through 2/2012. 50k + 25k = 75k more Skymiles and either 4 SWU's OR 20k more skymiles (plat benefit).

No brainer for me. I like Amex MR but this is a good redemption.

I'll have to work on getting more MR points soon though.
Actually I forgot about the 20K skymiles as a plat benefit. That makes this, in reality, almost a 100% bonus for me. 50K + 25K + 20K = 95K. And as I said earlier, for me the unlimited award changes is worth as much as anything, even upgrades (though I will gladly also take UG's on award tickets).

If I can live with avoiding calls to the PSS phone line as much as possible, I can live with SM for another year or more
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Ok, to summarize:

Transfer 50,000 American Express Membership Rewards points to Delta and get 75,000 Delta Frequent Flyer miles AND 25,000 MQM's.

The "real" cost of the offer is a minimum of $500 of equivalent value that the 50,000 MR points represent + the "fee" of tax which is $30, thus $530. (FYI - Home Depot gift cards 50,000 points = $500)

If you were able to USE the Delta miles on a low award coach ticket of 25,000 miles, you would have 3 RT tickets for $177 each. This is the BIG "if", the ability to USE the mileage.

Personally, I think the BIG value is the MQM's, but those 25K of MQM's come with a cost of at least $530.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
[QUOTE=

Personally, I think the BIG value is the MQM's, but those 25K of MQM's come with a cost of at least $530.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It would be tough (not impossible) to earn 25K of MQM's for $530.00 unless we have a mistake fare out there in F Class....
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
Personally, I think the BIG value is the MQM's, but those 25K of MQM's come with a cost of at least $530.
Agreed, there is some sort of loss of $530 to get these 25K MQMs but I'm not sure it's a true cost. I get these points for FREE so I am really only spending $30 out of pocket. It is more of a choice (MQMs, Home Depot GC, etc) than a cost. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here...but I just don't see a points TRANSFER as a cost (especially with bonuses!).
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:12 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Beckles
To claim that someone who transfers 50k Membership Rewards points to Delta has not given them a dime shows a complete lack of understanding of how the SkyMiles program works.
Not a "direct" revenue then... I know AMEX buys those miles from DL, but that is not the point. How many $$ does AMEX give DL per MQM? I am 99% confident that it is going to be much less than what DL would have earned from an FO who earned the status through BIS flying. Yet, they have to absorb the "cost" of providing the FO benefits.

Granted, CC MQMs is a nice perk, but it should not be given out like a slot machine that just hit jackpot. 5-10K MQMs when you reach a certain spend threshold makes sense, then maybe another 5-10K MQMs when you reach the next threshold. Thats it. Just like what UA/CO and some other airlines does. Otherwise, what is the purpose of having elite status and being loyal to one airline when you can reach Gold without stepping a foot on the plane. One day, at this pace, maybe we can even become DMs without stepping on the plane.

When FOs mention that they feel they are not being recognizied by Delta nor being excluded from some elite programs, all I can say that this is a good example of why DL probably does not feel they should value FOs as much as they used to. I do feel sorry for FOs who have earned FO status and remained loyal to DL, especially those who earned it through segments, but it is what it has become.

Again giving MQMs via promotions is GREAT, but it should be more regulated.

Just my opinion.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: A few
Just to confirm I also just transferred 50k, having registered yesterday, and immediately had 75k posted, including the 25k MQM, and I did NOT receive any target email for this offer.

Nice, that puts me at 80k for the year so PM for another year and a bit of rollover for next year.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL Platinum
If you were able to USE the Delta miles on a low award coach ticket of 25,000 miles, you would have 3 RT tickets for $177 each. This is the BIG "if", the ability to USE the mileage.
It takes work, and it really, really helps to be GM, PM or DM but the award seats are out there.

all low level awards:
Nov central MN-MSP-BNA round trip
Nov MSP-YVR round trip
Dec MSP-AUS round trip
Feb MSP-MCI round trip
Feb MSP-MUC round trip J
Mar MSP-ANC round trip
Mar MSP-ORD-MSP round trip
Apr MSP-EWR round trip
May MSP-JNU round trip
Jun MSP-ANC round trip
Jul MSP-ANC-AKN//ANC-MSP

It has taken extensive searching and flexibility. And being able to tweak the itineraries for no charge after ticketing as PM has been huge. And not all the above trips are stand-alone award tickets. I didn't use 25K miles for MSP-ORD-MSP for example. Rather those are part of another 25K mile award that just happens to have those flights added in for no additional miles.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Again giving MQMs via promotions is GREAT, but it should be more "regulated".

Just my opinion.
This is really not all that different from signing up for a Plat Amex Skymiles card (getting 5K MQM bonus) and then spending $50K and getting 20K MQM bonus for that spending.

David
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
Just as a follow-up, if one were to purchase these 50K MRPs, the actual cost would be $25/1000MRP * 50000MRP = $1250. With the $30 excise fee the total is $1280, or 5.12 cents/MQM. Mileage runs yield better returns than this.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I moved 50k MR Miles after registering.
50K RDM have posted, but no bonus and no MQMs yet......
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:21 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by DiverDave
This is really not all that different from signing up for a Plat Amex Skymiles card (getting 5K MQM bonus) and then spending $50K and getting 20K MQM bonus for that spending.

David
True, but the sign-up is an one-time thing, but after that you will have to at least fly once and spend $50K to get FO.

Now, using this example, assuming I have AMEX, but not the DL branded ones or Platinum:

Apply for Plat - 5K
Spend $50K - 20K
Transfer 50K - 25K

GM until Dec 2011 without giving DL a DIRECT revenue...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:21 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a "direct" revenue then... I know AMEX buys those miles from DL, but that is not the point. How many $$ does AMEX give DL per MQM? I am 99% confident that it is going to be much less than what DL would have earned from an FO who earned the status through BIS flying. Yet, they have to absorb the "cost" of providing the FO benefits.
Well the "cost" of FO benefits is minimal. Free checked luggage is about the only "perk" left and some of the FO's get this from a DL AmEx card anyway.

Granted, CC MQMs is a nice perk, but it should not be given out like a slot machine that just hit jackpot. 5-10K MQMs when you reach a certain spend threshold makes sense, then maybe another 5-10K MQMs when you reach the next threshold. Thats it. Just like what UA/CO and some other airlines does. Otherwise, what is the purpose of having elite status and being loyal to one airline when you can reach Gold without stepping a foot on the plane. One day, at this pace, maybe we can even become DMs without stepping on the plane.
Well, if they never step a foot on the plane, they could be DM's for no flying and it wouldn't really matter at all to anyone anyway, right?!?

Unfortunately you and I don't run the airline so all we can do is armchair quarterback.

When FOs mention that they feel they are not being recognizied by Delta nor being excluded from some elite programs, all I can say that this is a good example of why DL probably does not feel they should value FOs as much as they used to. I do feel sorry for FOs who have earned FO status and remained loyal to DL, especially those who earned it through segments, but it is what it has become.
True. But anyone can attain GM or even PM with relatively little effort and cost. Every year there is some double MQM bonus, every year there are cheap coast-to-coast round trip fares. Almost every year there are mistake fares on ST. Just spend a little time early in the year and a couple grand gets you at least GM for two years.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:26 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, but the sign-up is an one-time thing, but after that you will have to at least fly once and spend $50K to get FO.

Now, using this example, assuming I have AMEX, but not the DL branded ones or Platinum:

Apply for Plat - 5K
Spend $50K - 20K
Transfer 50K - 25K

GM until Dec 2011 without giving DL a DIRECT revenue...
Not sure what you mean by "direct" revenue. DL gets paid by AmEx for every MR point. So 50K MR points nets DL maybe $500. How is that not direct revenue? How about just calling it what it is - CASH. DL got cash from AmEX for sale of MR points. Actually, at the time that is all it was - cash. But it was a liability on their Balance Sheet (no revenue/income was reported for this cash).

Once these points are converted to DL SM's then there is REVENUE. It reduces the liability and increases the revenue (income) on Delta's financial statements. These are accounting terms so I understand if some people don't understand the nuances. But Delta is directly adding to its profit with this promotion.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by fti
Sorry, it is not cheating. There is no dishonesty, deceiving, defrauding, swindling or deception going on (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cheating)/.

Certainly it "devalues" medallion status. But so do the MQM's that one receives from a certain spend threshold with AmEx. And so does rollover MQM's. If one wants to play the game according to Delta's rules, so be it. So I might be PM next year instead of GM. But I will have played by the rules and played fair.

Your complaint is best addressed to Delta. Whining here won't do much good.
Oh, come now. Please don't throw out dictionary.com definitions, that is not going to accomplish anything on an online forum where context is determined strictly by writing.

Cheating is as much up to interpretation as anything. To me, shortcutting in any way to gain an advantage is cheating, whether with a malicious undertone or not. 25,000 MQMs for never stepping foot on a plane to me is cheating (shortcutting/gaining an advantage) over those that actually earn their status. I lose more and more respect for Delta as well every FO that complains about not being made "special" enough every-time they roll out another promo.

Last edited by DLATL777; Nov 2, 2010 at 1:33 pm
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:29 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Oh, come now. Please don't throw out dictionary.com definitions, that's gonna get us nowhere.

Cheating is as much up to interpretation as anything. To me, shortcutting in any way to gain an advantage is cheating, whether with a malicious undertone or not. 25,000 MQMs for never stepping foot on a plane to me is cheating (shortcutting/gaining an advantage) over those that actually earn their status. I lose more and more respect for Delta as well every FO that complains about not being made "special" enough every-time they roll out another promo.
You have every right to your opinion, even if it has no relation to reality.

And I don't believe definitions of words are up to interpretation. So there are no absolutes? Whatever anyone feels, thinks or says, that is OK? OK, at least I know where you are coming from.

And if these newly-minted FO's never step foot on a plane, who cares? No harm done anyway. I would think that the majority of people doing the transfer are doing it for the 50% RDM bonus. I have a friend who flies to JNB regularly. He had no idea that he was GM and with his current trip he was going to qualify for PM. 99% of the universe (or more) has never heard of FT.

Last edited by fti; Nov 2, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.