FC sense of entitlement

Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Yeah really, was he wearing socks and sandals?
Yeah, thank goodness he didn't have the bulkhead
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Hm. You must be an engineer. I believe the person to whom this quote is attributed meant that engineers know how everything is supposed to work, but understands how very few things actually work... Being a real scientist and not an engineer, that's one of my favorite quotes That being said, I completely disagree with his bad behavior onboard.
The difference between scientists and engineers...

Scientists believe they know how things are supposed to work.. because of what happened in a 200 ml flask.

Engineers make it truly work as a hundred million dollar per year commercial reality.

(I thought I'd replace the NW vs DL feuding with a little scientist vs engineer feuding. )
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Scientists believe they know how things are supposed to work.. because of what happened in a 200 ml flask.

Engineers make it truly work as a hundred million dollar per year commercial reality.

(I thought I'd replace the NW vs DL feuding with a little scientist vs engineer feuding. )

the world needs both

while science and technology, for their own sake, are great, they generally have to be "product-ized" or "system-ized" for an individual or a corporate/organizational entity to get some value from them
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by AerOklahoma
Secondly, I have had passengers either text or take pictures with their phones in the air and have heard the "cell phone noise" that is audible if one uses an older cell phone near a speaker or other amplifying object; it was quite loud coming across the VHF radios. While this didn't exactly impact the immediate safety of the operation the intensity did cause me to miss a couple of radio calls before they were able finally get the phone off; oh well I suppose the center controller thought I fell asleep
You're saying that not being able to hear ATC didn't "impact the immediate safety"? What would have happened if there was a traffic alert? What if they needed you to do something immediately? How is not unsafe?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:50 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other

And all the while we Liberal Arts types continue to say..."You want fries with that?"
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Rebmig
Cut in front of other passengers? Aren't Elites entitled to board by the SP lane as they please? If this is not the intended perk of Elite Status with Delta, then it should not be advertised as such.
So is your DM status "more DM" than mine is? When there are a dozen FC passengers waiting for the shotgun start to rush the SP lane, it's OK for you to do an end-run around all of them and stand on the edge of the carpet?

I'm not arguing your right to use the SP lane when the boarding process has already begun. I'm talking about the very start of the boarding process before anyone passengers have entered the plane.

Are you still going to tell me that pushing to the front of the gate lice swarm is appropriate?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jrl22
the world needs both

while science and technology, for their own sake, are great, they generally have to be "product-ized" or "system-ized" for an individual or a corporate/organizational entity to get some value from them
Relax, Kissenger... We both have our tongues firmly in our cheeks
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by username_unknown
I challenge anyone to find on mass casualty NTSB report that lists Cell Phones, Seat Back position, Tray table position, and/or laptops in seat pockets as a survival factor. Surely if its such an important issue, it would have been a factor in at-least one of the hundreds of mass casualty crashes.
"Seats upright", "Tray tables Locked", "Aisles clear" are all so people can actually evacuate the plane quickly. "No laptops in the seat back" is so there are not heavy objects flying around the cabin. Nothing to do with causing a crash, everything to do with surviving a hard landing. Somebody who willful ignores these is potentially endangering other people.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
"No laptops in the seat back" is so there are not heavy objects flying around the cabin. Nothing to do with causing a crash, everything to do with surviving a hard landing.
This, and the fact that lithium ion batteries have been found to cause crashes (such as the UPS crash in Dubai not too long ago). Placing a laptop with a big hot battery in a pocket full of loose pieces of paper isn't the best idea. Is it likely to cause a fire? Probably not, but it is certainly possible.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jeff30189
So is your DM status "more DM" than mine is? When there are a dozen FC passengers waiting for the shotgun start to rush the SP lane, it's OK for you to do an end-run around all of them and stand on the edge of the carpet?

I'm not arguing your right to use the SP lane when the boarding process has already begun. I'm talking about the very start of the boarding process before anyone passengers have entered the plane.

Are you still going to tell me that pushing to the front of the gate lice swarm is appropriate?
Pretty sure this is not what he was saying.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
What do you expect of someone who has no taste in booze or dress?

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
At the DO, our FA's told us they would be greatful for us to tell the pax to turn the crackberry off. They have to be too nice, but we don't...
Cool. From now on we will pummel anyone who isn't breaking rules that we ourselves aren't also breaking.

Originally Posted by avidflyer
... He clearly had enough compassion for the lower ranks to not demand the "Carpet of FO's" ...
I resemble that carpet.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by brazzleman
Mixed together? I think I need to throw up now . . . .
Yup, and when I said pounding....the three times I've run into him he's put away nearly an entire bottle of chardonnay in an hour.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:26 am

Now you have done it! Prompted another round of responses from the self-absorbed "that rule doesn't apply to me because I am smarter than the person who made up the rule, and it's not a safety issue anyway" crowd.

On my last trip, after the "turn off anything with a switch" message had been repeated several times, and after watching the fellow in the window seat pull his Blackberry out of his pocket and fiddle with it several times during the taxi out:

Me: "I guess the no electronics rule doesn't apply to you."

Mr. Self-absorbed: <condescending snort, then holds B'berry up so I can see it as he turns it off> "Is that OK now?"

Me: "Yes... it shows that you can follow instructions."

Mr. Self-absorbed: "Did I do something to you?"

Me: "Yes. You jeopardized my safety for your own self-convenience."

Mr. Self-absorbed: no response... maybe he was brighter than he first appeared to be.

OK... you excessively entitled folks can flame away now...

Sounds like you were on a 757. FYI it does not have fly by wire. So any interference coming from the BB has NO INTERFERENCE with the aircraft systems. This was made for those stupid Scarebus products that use to take themselves over and fly into the ground.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:50 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by jeff30189

-snip-

I'm pretty sure I misunderstood you, and you misunderstood me, and I subsequently misunderstood you... But, with the above quote, emphasis mine, you and I completely agree.

First of all, my scenario yesterday occurred after general boarding began, using the SP line at this point I believe is perfectly acceptable and one of the purposes of the line in the first place.

Second, I do not, and would not, ever support DM/PM/whoever pushing through an already established queue regardless of when it is. But, I think this is more a comment on human decency than air passenger etiquette.

Third, DM? Only in my dreams.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Scientists get to explore the origins of the universe.
Engineers get to drive locomotives.

It's a draw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.