Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
DTW: Southern Oakland County had minimal trees down, some branches, and most of the leaves. As mentioned, the papers were reporting minimal impact to operations, in with a whimper, out with a whimper. No significant wind/rain of duration, yet can't speak on Wayne county. Looks like we dodged this one, and MSP got all the fun.

Best turblence story. Road warrior from the good-'ol-days talking about taking a prop plane into a landing that was so bad, the mechanical alert-chime (he was old-time!) was dinging from the g-changes.

Best personal story. Aborted landing in DTW (dead fox on the runway), light-loaded 757, so lots of power and pitch. Gasps from the older crowd... then a little kid screams "whee... do it again, do it again!!". That'll break the tension.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
La Nińa kicking up, could be in for a rough winter in MSP.

http://www.elnino.noaa.gov/lanina.html
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Anyone make it in to MSP this morning. Thru rescheduled me for a noon departure but I don't want to reschedule all my meetings if I will not make it in.

As a side note: tripit notified me via email and text at 9:17 that my flight was canceled. DL showed it on their website at 9:17 as well, but the first email from DL came at 11:14pm with the first call at 3:41am. On the positive side, since I knew my flight was canceled I didn't have my ringer on and I was able to sleep until 8.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I was in PIT try to do a MR to SEA. Originally on the 5 PM to JFK but got there early in time to board the 3:15 to JFK. They unloaded that plan with a 2 hour delay (min). By 5 they canceled all their flights to NYC and there was no way to route me around to do the run

Why that was annoying... even more so is that US Airways continued to run their flight to LGA with minimal delay. Their 4:20 left and arrive 15 minutes late. I ended up on the 5:45 to LGA just to get home and call it all off which arrived only 20 minutes late.

In PIT, no other airline was bagging flights like Delta. I guess so many people were going to miss their connections and then Delta may be on the hook for expenses so it was easier to cancel the outbound and leave their passengers holding the tab for alternative arrangements.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by drinbkk
I was in PIT try to do a MR to SEA. Originally on the 5 PM to JFK but got there early in time to board the 3:15 to JFK. They unloaded that plan with a 2 hour delay (min). By 5 they canceled all their flights to NYC and there was no way to route me around to do the run

Why that was annoying... even more so is that US Airways continued to run their flight to LGA with minimal delay. Their 4:20 left and arrive 15 minutes late. I ended up on the 5:45 to LGA just to get home and call it all off which arrived only 20 minutes late.

In PIT, no other airline was bagging flights like Delta. I guess so many people were going to miss their connections and then Delta may be on the hook for expenses so it was easier to cancel the outbound and leave their passengers holding the tab for alternative arrangements.
They wouldn't have been on the hook if it was a weather delay. Sorry about the MR, hate when they don't happen as planned. I have a pretty major one this weekend, that has 12 segments, so not so sure if it will happen or not. Hoping this wind dies down before then!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
They wouldn't have been on the hook if it was a weather delay. Sorry about the MR, hate when they don't happen as planned. I have a pretty major one this weekend, that has 12 segments, so not so sure if it will happen or not. Hoping this wind dies down before then!
I just find it odd that when I looked at the flight board, everyone else was going in/out of NYC with delays but Delta canceled 3 flights. Esp know that the weather was not going to hit NYC till very late it just did not make sense.

The silver lining was that I had a return for Saturday from PIT to LGA on US Air.. I walked up to the service desk, asked them what it would cost to change the tik from Sat to today (yesterday). The agent said it would cost 220 to change but I could buy a new one way for the next flight for 70!... Love it
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
I made it out of MSP at about 3.50 pm on Tuesday to ORD. On a little Embraer. That had to have been the scariest take-off I have ever experienced. ORD was no picnic then either with the gusting winds and the engines revving up and down.

I got screwed the next day by the same weather system, but DL got me to something very important in Chicago that night, which I greatly appreciate.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Best personal story. Aborted landing in DTW (dead fox on the runway), light-loaded 757, so lots of power and pitch. Gasps from the older crowd... then a little kid screams "whee... do it again, do it again!!". That'll break the tension.
Had the same experience a few years ago except it wasn't a dead fox for me...it was one of the older crowd that couldn't wait and needed to use the Lav....we were over I-94 at this point.....yes those 752's with PW power certainly are sports cars of the sky
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Snomageddon (Detroit) Tue Jan 11th, 2011

Deltican hope you don't mind that I'm stealing your title from the Snomageddon 2.0 (ATL) thread since I liked it so much.

Anyway, after the weather problems in the Southeast from yesterday (and in good part today as well), Detroit is now forecasted for stormy weather starting this afternoon and through tonight, with some chance of it still snowing tomorrow am. Normally I would think Detroit could handle the snow, but I'm concerned about crew & metal issues with everything so screwed up already.

I've already changed flights once as I was supposed to do BUF-ATL-CLT today and moved it to tomorrow morning and doing BUF-DTW-CLT but I'm looking for feedback.

#1 Am I better staying with current plans of getting to DTW early in the am to allow for a better chance to catch any flight if mine gets cancelled

#2 Trying to get DL to endorse my ticket over to USScare (where I have zero status) and flying direct BUF-CLT and hoping Skymiles will give me credit for my original routing?

#3 Try to get DL to move my flight back to later in the day allowing Detroit some time to get everything "back in order" and not having to sit all day at the Skyclub?

#4 Do I try and book a room at the Westin at the airport for tomorrow night in case i get stuck in Detroit? I don't mind paying out of pocket if I get stuck as I'd much rather be there than some fleabag no-tell motel where they have rates by the hour.

I'm thinking #3 is my best option, though I don't know if USScare is gonna have any seats available for me to be put on, thus leaving me with #1 and #4 as my best options.

Thoughs / Opinions?

Anybody else in the same boat feel free to chime in here too.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
I would think your #1 option is your best bet - get out of BUF first thing and to DTW so you'll have a shot at your final destination CLT tomorrow - that's what I would do, anyway.

Here's the NWS forecast for DTW (Romulus, MI):

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-83.3662&e=0

Doesn't sound too bad to me.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:54 am

It looks like most of the snow Detroit's supposed to get is this afternoon to early evening. My guess is a morning flight isn't really likely to have much trouble.

(Snomageddon is probably overkill, it doesn't seem likely that we'll get more than 3, 3.5 inches or so.) (All weather info from NWS, subject to change at any moment just to make me look like an idiot.)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
False alarm on the DTW Snowmageddon.....

Your best bet is option #1. DTW should be fine tomorrow morning.
DTW should be fine through this run-of-the-mill snow event (for a northern city).

They're calling for 3-5" between this afternoon-tonight, which is over a broad time period.

You won't see the problems like ATL because:
1) They have the equipment to keep the roads open, thus employees will and are expected to show up to work
2) The airport has the equipment to keep all runways open
3) They have the equipment to deice and keep pace with operations
4) The temps in DTW are cold, meaning this will be all-snow, and importantly no ice. Cold snow is much easier to deal with than ice.

Operations may slow down a little bit Tuesday afternoon due to deicing. However, due to the mess in the south and east coast they already have a number of cancelations to begin with.

You should be fine, and they will most certainly try to operate those flights. DTW and MSP have been picking up the slack while ATL (and now maybe LGA/JFK) have been knocked out.

It looks like you are flying a 9E CRJ and DL DC9 tomorrow, both of which have crew bases in DTW.

#2 - they won't likely do that, since DL should be flying
#3 - first thing in the a.m is the most likely to be close to ontime, usually delays cascade throughout the day
#4 - seems unnecessary, DL should be able to get you there at some point tomorrow.

Again it would require a significant melt-down at DTW to not get you through there tomorrow.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for all the good info re DTW tomorrow as I was rebooked from SRQ-ATL-PHX to day to SRQ-DTW-PHX tomorrow afternoon/evening. Hopefully it will be a non-event for them.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Live from DTW B24. Light snow and minimal delays on the board at the current moment. I counted nearly 20 deicing trucks at the pad. They know how to take care of biz here.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
That is just the one pad you see.... DTW has 4 primary deice pads, each with 6 lanes in each. DTW can deice 24 aircraft at the same time.

DL/DL Connection uses 3 of the pads (18 lanes) - the 4R, 22L, and 3L pads.
OAL (everyone else) uses the remaining pad ( 6 lanes) - the 21R pad

Thus, depending on the amount of deicing, DTW has the ability to deice 70-90 aircraft per hour.

DTW should be just fine on Wednesday, since most importantly the roads will fine so crews and employees can show up to work at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.