Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Originally Posted by RDUKingFisher
Piggybacking off of this topic, I am faced with connection options of either DTW or ATL every week. Am leaning towards DTW, especially during the winter months, based on the assumption that they handle winter weather issues better than ATL. This assumes, however, that ATL will even be faced with a wintery mess this year. This also assumes all else is equal (price, arrival/depatrure, etc). Can anyone share thoughts/experiences on this, and if you think it makes sense for me to do this.

*Note: this week begins my weekly travel grind (have never had to travel weekly before), so I am still trying to figure out the best options to make the best use of my time. Any help is greatly appreciated.
All other things being equal, I'd tend to go with ATL in the winter months. In most cases, ATL has less probability of winter weather events. Granted, when they do, its a big mess but in those case they are likely to have winter weather waivers in place and in that case you could revert to the DTW connections if its still available.

The balance of the year, I'd tend to go with DTW over ATL just to avoid the spring/summer thunderstorms that tend to pop-up and the circus/zoo/insanity that sometimes is involved with ATL connections.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RDUKingFisher
Am leaning towards DTW, especially during the winter months, based on the assumption that they handle winter weather issues better than ATL.
That is beyond crazy thinking. If weather is your issue, ATL is your place in the winter. I spent THREE DAYS in Detroit last winter against my will.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
That is beyond crazy thinking. If weather is your issue, ATL is your place in the winter. I spent THREE DAYS in Detroit last winter against my will.
Weather last year was on the far extreme end for DTW. It was far outside the norm in terms of both snow and temps. Even with the lowest temps of the year today, it is still above the temps we saw on a number of days last year where it was so cold that it was causing fueling issues.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by kss5555
No, the storm (an Alberta clipper) is not supposed to get going until this evening, and 1 to 2 inches is no big deal. You are coming in on a regional, so just sit towards the front and if possible avoid a gate check of your bag.
+1

About the only thing unusual for anyone not used to winter travel is the need to deice planes and that's built into the schedule.

Roads are a bigger problem because right now it's so cold that salt doesn't work as well as when it's a bit warmer (like in the 20s).

For the DTW area, this has been a mild winter so far with virtually no snow fall the entire month of Dec.

Bob H
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
Last winter was the most extreme winter for DTW in the history of aviation.
So on that end it was an outlyer.

On average, we typically get about 10 days per winter that have a significant delays and a material impact on travel - roads, airports, commerce. Of that, maybe only about 5 are truly big events that might cause significant delays and cancellations.

Winter 2013/2014 was abnormal because of the combination of heavy snow and extreme cold that had a multplying effect.

We've had it easy so far this winter. We had no measurable snow in the month of December and numerous days in the upper 30s/low 40s and even some 50s.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Don't choose MSP today!

Unfortunately the snow here in MSP *is* causing delays. Currently MSP is on a first tier ground stop due to snow. Currently expected to end at 2030Z/1430L.

Looks like ORD is also on a GS for UAX carriers and EGL. Snows headed your way DTW...but since it gets there late enough it should be much of an operational factor until the late bank.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I am also DTW based, and would go with DTWflyer's advice - ATL only in the "deep" winter months and DTW the rest of the year. DTW is a much easier airport to navigate.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by rubesl
I am also DTW based, and would go with DTWflyer's advice - ATL only in the "deep" winter months and DTW the rest of the year. DTW is a much easier airport to navigate.
If you don't mind a much higher probability of being on an RJ.

In recent years many of the thunderstorm bands have been worse in the Midwest than in the south... What I prefer about atl is a much higher number of flights to/From where I go most often. So even if I miss connect, there's usually another flight within an hour.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
Weather last year was on the far extreme end for DTW. It was far outside the norm in terms of both snow and temps. Even with the lowest temps of the year today, it is still above the temps we saw on a number of days last year where it was so cold that it was causing fueling issues.
Yeah, I lived it. I got it. But the average number of winter weather delays in DTW will always be higher than ATL.

Originally Posted by HDQDD
In recent years many of the thunderstorm bands have been worse in the Midwest than in the south... What I prefer about atl is a much higher number of flights to/From where I go most often. So even if I miss connect, there's usually another flight within an hour.
Really not just in recent years. While ATL's thunderstorm season is longer, the midwest is more intense....by a lot. The absolute highest tornado density in the country is between DTW and FWA. And yes, ATL recovers better.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Yeah, I lived it. I got it. But the average number of winter weather delays in DTW will always be higher than ATL.

Really not just in recent years. While ATL's thunderstorm season is longer, the midwest is more intense....by a lot. The absolute highest tornado density in the country is between DTW and FWA. And yes, ATL recovers better.
Say what? -- Michigan averages one twister per county every other year.

Thunderbumpers are a different story and my experience is if I'm on a plane and making a connection and delayed by one, my connecting flight is also going to be delayed because it's one of those planes that is circling with us.

The real problem at DTW this year (or maybe next?) will be when they start reconstruction/repairs of one of the runways because the wrong concrete formula was used.

Bob H
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobH
Say what? -- Michigan averages one twister per county every other year.
Many of the northern Michigan counties don't get any.
Here is the map.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GxHzD5W_yr...0/counties.png
Here is another good one.
http://izarravarela.files.wordpress....rnado-risk.jpg

Trust me, I have analyzed it and it has been reported, FWA is near ground zero and DTW isn't that far away. Admittedly, it does drop off fairly quickly.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Many of the northern Michigan counties don't get any.
Here is the map.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GxHzD5W_yr...0/counties.png
Here is another good one.
http://izarravarela.files.wordpress....rnado-risk.jpg

Trust me, I have analyzed it and it has been reported, FWA is near ground zero and DTW isn't that far away. Admittedly, it does drop off fairly quickly.
Have lived here all my life, this is the first I have ever heard of DTW and Southeast Michigan being in the heart of tornado alley. When did we shift to Alabama, and Mississippi and points to the west of there?

The tornado touchdown in Rochester Hills this year was the first I ever recall actually hitting our area in 20+ years.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kss5555
Have lived here all my life, this is the first I have ever heard of DTW and Southeast Michigan being in the heart of tornado alley. When did we shift to Alabama, and Mississippi and points to the west of there?

The tornado touchdown in Rochester Hills this year was the first I ever recall actually hitting our area in 20+ years.
For crying out loud, I didn't say that DTW and Southeast Michigan is the heart of tornado alley. What I said is that NE Indiana is the highest tornado per square mile density in the country....and it is close by. You can look at maps yourself, I didn't make them up.

The bottom line is that the risk of warm severe weather is just as great in DTW as it is in ATL....great if you factor in the months that it is almost out of the question in DTW.

Last edited by indufan; Jan 8, 2015 at 4:16 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
While DTW has their poop together ORD is a joke. Missing my cx in DTW because they de-ice at the gate and have flights sitting in the penalty box waiting for gates. Get a night in ATL now because of that.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:37 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
OP here

It worked out...close...but worked. Didn't check the bag either. Rolled the dice with that. Ended up arriving at B1 which is right by the psychedelic tunnel and then took the train to the south end and we departed from A6. Boarding started about 5 min. after I got there. Deicing took a while but still managed to be home a little before midnight.

BTW, the CRJ2 wasn't that bad. The seats felt rather comfy. Odd, I know. They were a darker blue seat than I'm used to seeing on DL flights (and not the new quilted look on the MDs)

Oh, yeah...multiple flts from RIC to ORD were canceled. I do like DL when it comes to weather. They seem to work harder at getting flights out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.