Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Detroit Weather Alerts, Warnings and Advisories: The Definitive Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MSchott
How were those 40 straight days over 100 last summer ?
Yeah, but it's a dry heat.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by SFO777
I wasn't living in Texas last year, but I was here for every one of those days except I think 3.

Luckily, I didn't have to leave a single building for food, drink, work, entertainment, and sleep!

Mother James318 is leaving Detroit in the AM for a visit. Hoping the snow doesn't delay her. She is at an airport hotel tonight so as not to have to make the hour drive to DTW.

Sadly, she is going to miss the 80 degree weather! It will be a chilly 61 tomorrow. (The detroit boy in me still thinks this is quite warm for february, and will probably keep wearing shorts!)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Exclamation

Well here is the Midwest Winter Waiver from Delta.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...er12/index.jsp

Midwest Winter Weather
Last Updated: February 23, 2012, 6pm EST

Winter weather has impacted travel to, from, or through various cities in the Midwest. Check flight status frequently for up-to-the-minute info about your flight plans, or get updates sent directly to your wireless device or email with Delta Messenger.

Rescheduling Flights
If your flight is canceled or significantly delayed, you are entitled to a refund. Even if your flight is not canceled, you may make a one-time change to your ticket without fee if you are scheduled to travel to, from, or through the following cities on Delta, Delta Connection, or Delta-coded flights during the specified time periods listed below.

You can now edit your itinerary here at delta.com, or you may contact Reservation Sales to make changes to your itinerary. Additional collection in fares may apply. See Conditions & Restrictions below.

Affected Destination(s)
(To, From, or Through) Impacted Travel Date(s) Ticket must
be Reissued
On or Before Rebooked Travel
must begin
no later than
Cedar Rapids, IA (CID)
Chicago-Midway, IL (MDW)
Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ORD)
Detroit, MI (DTW)
Des Moines, IA (DSM)
Flint, MI (FNT)
Fort Dodge, IA (FOD)
Grand Rapids, MI (GRR)
Lansing, MI (LAN)
Kalamazoo, MI (AZO)
Madison, WI (MSN)
Mason City, IA (MCW)
Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
Moline, IL (MLI)
Sioux City, IA (SUX)
South Bend, IN (SBN)
Waterloo, IA (ALO)
Feb 23-24, 2012 Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Conditions & Restrictions
Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
As always, a day late and a dollar short from Delta on the WWW. The last flight out of DTW last night for me was a 7:30pm departure. Looks like the waiver was issued at 6pm, and I'm a 75 minute drive plus the car rental drop off at DTW. Even if I would have jumped on it the second it was issued, it would have been worthless to me. Is it just me or do most people want to get out of town before a storm and not after?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:53 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
This was a very wimpy snow storm -- maybe an inch or two, so the only delays at DTW will be due to things like delays caused by deicing or caused by delays at other airports or possibly some of the other things that cause delays (e.g. mechanicals).

DTW area TV stations have been showing shots of the area freeways and they're just wet. The snow plow drivers that do driveways and parking lots aren't going to make much money from this one !

Bob H
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
It's a challenge for even modern forecasters to predict exactly where a narrow band of snow will fall, and where exactly a narrow band of slush will fall.

pretty amazing really.

I find the worst DTW weather occurs unannounced when an Alberta clipper that supposed to leave a 1-2" dusting instead stalls or something and dumps 4-7".

In that case, there has been no preparation of the roads, people drive like maniacs and schools are surprised.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BobH
This was a very wimpy snow storm -- maybe an inch or two, so the only delays at DTW will be due to things like delays caused by deicing or caused by delays at other airports or possibly some of the other things that cause delays (e.g. mechanicals).

DTW area TV stations have been showing shots of the area freeways and they're just wet. The snow plow drivers that do driveways and parking lots aren't going to make much money from this one !

Bob H
was reading that in "the news" this morning....still glad to be missing even that little bit of white stuff up there (but I did get to experience a very bumpy ride from west coast to ATL yesterday....it's nasty out there)
Old Feb 24, 2012, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by socrates
was reading that in "the news" this morning....still glad to be missing even that little bit of white stuff up there (but I did get to experience a very bumpy ride from west coast to ATL yesterday....it's nasty out there)
Yep. I live about 15 miles due north of DTW and we received about 1" of wet snow. The roads are wet and a bit slippery as the temperature is right at freezing. All in all much ado about nothing so far.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
VERY Wise -

I used to tell people that we had snowplows on our airplanes when it came to MSP and DTW - it took a hell of a lot of snow to delay/XL flights out of there...
I have been stuck at at DTW one time due to snow. My inbound flight made it in OK, then we had a slow time getting to the gate because we had to wait for a plow to clear us a path, but we did make it.

*Almost* every flight out was CANX but the airport was technically open. The club attendant got a JWD that night for putting me up at the Hyatt Regency (Westin was full up).

I'd have to look up the date, but it was one of those snowstorms that people gave a name to, "snowmageddon" or "Snowpocalypse", or some such.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SFO777
That just means that when you burst into flame, there's nothing to put you out.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
DTW Winter storm warning - weather waivers?

Looks like Detroit was issued with a Winter Storm warning a short while ago with possibility of up to 6" of snow.

I called DL to ask about proactively rerouting my connection tomorrow via MSP instead but they won't allow it.

Other airlines including UA have already issued a waiver for Detroit for travel for tomorrow 26th Feb, but DL however has not and won't allow any changes.

What is the criteria needed for DL to actually issue a weather waiver or allow reroutes?

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx?SID=16AF9BD59C8E4CB1B7DD79DB784 026C4&v_ctrk=HHLN$0-772-2045-1-1156#ExceptionPolicies
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Keep watching delta.dumb. A weather waiver could be issued later. When that happens, you want to call as soon as you reasonably can and know what flights you want. Do your research early. Also, if the flight you want is empty and cheap, you might be able to change for almost free anyway.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Try @Deltaassist. They changed a flight for me (very generously so) during a storm a few weeks ago when other airlines had issued a waiver but DL hadn't.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
*bangs head against table as routed ARN-AMS-DTW-YYZ on the 26th*

I'm leaving ARN at 6.20 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SamuelS
What is the criteria needed for DL to actually issue a weather waiver or allow reroutes?
The criteria is whatever Delta decides. They have a team of meteorologists that are monitoring the situation. They do have a decidedly conservative view on forecasting...something that I appreciate. More than once, other airlines have issued weather waivers the storm never affected the region. Having said that, I expect a weather waiver to be issued sooner than later.

For the record, not sure where you are getting the Winter Storm Warning information. I just checked the Storm Prediction Center website and they are showing a Winter Storm Watch and the nearest Winter Storm Warning is still well southwest of Chicago.

Last edited by indufan; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:54 pm Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.