Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight Notiifcations - Do they really work on Delta?

Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more

Yesterday, I was scheduled to fly FLL-ATL-YYZ on DL 1426/5277. The night before I received an e-mail from Delta reminding to check in. I did so, and arrived at the airport well in advance of my scheduled departure.

My original flight was scheduled to depart FLL at 6:49 and arrive in ATL around 8:49 with 50 minutes to connect to my flight to YYZ. No problem, or so I thought.

Around 5:20 PM, I checked the departure screen in FLL, and much to my surprise, flt 1426 was delayed (due to an equipment change, I was told) and was scheduled to depart at 7:25 with a 9:35 arrival in ATL....Hmmm...4 minute connection in ATL? I think not. Fortunately, I was able to get the last seat (36B - what a special seat on a MD88) on flight 1626, with a 5:30 departure, and made my connection, although my luggage didn't! My luggage will be here within the next 5 hours.

In the end, I was able to make lemonade out of lemons, but what bothers me is that I have yet to receive notification from Delta that there was a flight change. Had I not checked the screen, I would have had to spend the night (out of pocket I assume) in ATL. So much for automated technology!

Last edited by flying chef; Oct 25, 2010 at 2:37 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I've never had any problems. The alerts saved me a month ago when I was running late for a flight. Would surely have gotten a speeding ticket if I hadn't gotten the call that my flight was delayed.

Did you check that you have signed up to receive the alerts? Log in to DL.com and go to Profile --> Contact Me. Make sure you are subscribed to advance updates and last-minute updates, and that your day/time windows have been set for both alert types. Also, check one of your existing reservations. You can click a link to see or edit the contact info they have on file. For some reason, a letter was chopped off of the beginning of my email address for some reservations.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I usually get a phone call and an email. I got burned the other day because I had my phone off while in Canada and didn't get the message until I got to the airport.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by javabytes
I've never had any problems. The alerts saved me a month ago when I was running late for a flight. Would surely have gotten a speeding ticket if I hadn't gotten the call that my flight was delayed.

Did you check that you have signed up to receive the alerts? Log in to DL.com and go to Profile --> Contact Me. Make sure you are subscribed to advance updates and last-minute updates, and that your day/time windows have been set for both alert types. Also, check one of your existing reservations. You can click a link to see or edit the contact info they have on file. For some reason, a letter was chopped off of the beginning of my email address for some reservations.
I did check my profile, and yes I'm subscribed to both. I will send a polite note to Delta and share my experience with them.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Keep in mind that if you book flights through your corporate travel dept, the contact info DOES NOT carry over into the Dl system. This annoys the living daylights out of me! So despite having my profile current and wanting it to contact me for flight changes - it won't!! you have to manually go into each itinerary, click on the "we don't have your contact info yet!" and add the very same contact info that's clearly associated with my SM account.

I asked during the DO this weekend if they could do what appears to be a simple thing to me. they said no. I dont understand computers; i'm sure it made sense to someone who does. But the short answer is no - you have to manually enter your contact info into each itinerary in order to receive the alerts.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM'r,
Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
But the short answer is no - you have to manually enter your contact info into each itinerary in order to receive the alerts.
Do you get the notifications when you do this? I have been doing that and I still don't get the notifications.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: Southwest RR
I never get them...and checking my itinerary on the delta mobile website is always a jumbled mess when some goes wrong with a flight.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by Bappelt
Do you get the notifications when you do this? I have been doing that and I still don't get the notifications.
I have gotten them if I actually do update the itinerary.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I have generally not been getting the notices... even though I am subscribed to them and there have been a multitude of recent opportunities where DL needed to notify me.

The one recent notice I received (by voice mail and by e-mail) reached me 2 hours after my original scheduled departure time and one hour after the actual departure time.

I retrieved both after reaching my destination.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Keep in mind that if you book flights through your corporate travel dept, the contact info DOES NOT carry over into the Dl system. This annoys the living daylights out of me! So despite having my profile current and wanting it to contact me for flight changes - it won't!! you have to manually go into each itinerary, click on the "we don't have your contact info yet!" and add the very same contact info that's clearly associated with my SM account.

I asked during the DO this weekend if they could do what appears to be a simple thing to me. they said no. I dont understand computers; i'm sure it made sense to someone who does. But the short answer is no - you have to manually enter your contact info into each itinerary in order to receive the alerts.
I completely agree. It annoys me to no end and most of the time when I update the data it does not save to the PNR. Though, they really should fix the award calendar before attacking this issue.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member

So that's why I don't get notifications any more. This was never an issue with NW.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
What does someone have to register for to recieve a text message/phone call when a flight is delayed/cancelled? Is it the one-time flight thing or something else in the profile?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:22 pm
jmj

Programs: DL- Diamond, AS - MVP
Tagging along as I have never been able to get notifications to work properly either. I opened a support ticket on the web site but was still not able to get it resolved.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM, AA, BA, National Emerald
Originally Posted by jmj
Tagging along as I have never been able to get notifications to work properly either. I opened a support ticket on the web site but was still not able to get it resolved.
I never get them either.. never have after NW/DL merger. used to ALL the time with NW.
I even try to remember to add info on my rez under dl.com trip details.. "get notifications" and I still get nothing. Yes I have signed up for everything in my account.

Old NW people that are unable to get them..?

Have IPhone app I look at now though.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
I had them twice so far, both times i got them while flying from SJU to JFK, and i did not get them until I landed at JFK.

The alert was a cancellation for my flight to LAX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.