Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Order

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:53 pm

I don't think the chart accurately illustrates the waitlist order for those paying GA's bribes, and the various DL employee shenanigans.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
Is it written somewhere that a Diamond using a GUC is upgraded before a DM who uses miles to upgrade? I was under the impression that if OP inventory becomes available one can use either a GUC or miles and that one doesn't trump the other, unless it is within the 24 hour window in which case one can't use miles.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Felixishim
Delta Diamond Medallion on Full Y
Delta Platinum Medallion on Full Y
Delta Gold Medallion on Full Y
Delta Silver Medallion on Full Y
Delta Diamond Medallion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, N, Pay with Miles (in that order)
Delta Platinum Medallion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, N, Pay with Miles (in that order)
Delta Gold Medallion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, N, Pay with Miles (in that order)
Delta Silver Medallion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, Pay with Miles (in that order)
Delta Diamond Medallion Companion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V
Delta Platinum Medallion Companion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V
Delta Gold Medallion Companion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V
Delta Silver Medallion Companion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V

Medallions who has the Delta Amex Reserve card received priority upgrade within the same Medallion Level and Same Fare class.
i.e PM on a V fare with Reserve beat another PM on a V fare who doesn't have Reserve but
PM on a X fare will still trump PM on a V fare with Reserve.

Above are taking RU/OU inventory

Delta Diamond using GUC
Delta Diamond using RUC
Delta Platinum using RUC
Delta Diamond Companion using GUC
Delta Diamond Companion using RUC
Delta Platinum Companion using RUC
Delta Diamond using Miles for Upgrade
Delta Platinum using Miles for Upgrdae
Delta Gold using Miles for Upgrdes
Delta Silver using Miles for Upgrade
Delta Skymiles Member using Miles for Upgrade

if the GUC/RUC companion has a medallion status I suspect it will be clear earlier then non elite pax

Upgrade with miles works for K or above fare on domestic flight,
Y, B, M only on international flight.

the above instrument upgrade are taking RP/OP inventory
What about a Plat (or even GM, FO, or non-status) using a GUC, as a someone could be a DM the previous year and selected GUCs as a choice gift towards the end of the year before losing DM status? Or would the GUCs expire when the DM status expires even if they were selected less than a year before the date of status drop?

Same question would apply for RUCs being used by non-PM/DM.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I don't think the chart accurately illustrates the waitlist order for those paying GA's bribes, and the various DL employee shenanigans.
This JUST happened to me. Have the list to prove it. Was #1 with one available. Asked GA whether I should board. They said all full. Then RC comes on board and pulls the #3 to FC.

I questioned the RC quietly and politely on the plane and she was rude, saying in a loud voice that Mr. #3 was upgraded due to an equipment change. When I asked "Shouldn't that be reflected on the list?" She rolled her eyes and said she didn't know.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Delta Diamond Medallion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, N, Pay with Miles (in that order)
Delta Platinum Medallion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, N, Pay with Miles (in that order)
Delta Gold Medallion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, N, Pay with Miles (in that order)
Delta Silver Medallion on B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X, V, Pay with Miles (in that order)

Medallions who has the Delta Amex Reserve card received priority upgrade within the same Medallion Level and Same Fare class.
i.e PM on a V fare with Reserve beat another PM on a V fare who doesn't have Reserve but

Delta Diamond using GUC
Delta Diamond using RUC
Delta Platinum using RUC

if the GUC/RUC companion has a medallion status I suspect it will be clear earlier then non elite pax

Assuming you found a unicorn (i.e the odd agent who knows how to properly process your GUC / RUC request in the record) those should clear BEFORE any medallion upgrades - even at the gate
Old Dec 11, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Tmsmedic
This JUST happened to me. Have the list to prove it. Was #1 with one available. Asked GA whether I should board. They said all full. Then RC comes on board and pulls the #3 to FC.

I questioned the RC quietly and politely on the plane and she was rude, saying in a loud voice that Mr. #3 was upgraded due to an equipment change. When I asked "Shouldn't that be reflected on the list?" She rolled her eyes and said she didn't know.
It's the new Delta. Lies, deceit and attitude are becoming commonplace.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta PM

Delta Diamond using GUC
Delta Diamond using RUC
Delta Platinum using RUC
Delta Platinum using Miles for Upgrade
Delta Gold using Miles for Upgrades

Well done! ^ This is great, maybe Delta could copy/paste it to their website! Now I'm just gonna be picky, but technically could we add Starwood elites to the end of that first list? Any others that get crossover benefits etc?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Well done! ^ This is great, maybe Delta could copy/paste it to their website! Now I'm just gonna be picky, but technically could we add Starwood elites to the end of that first list? Any others that get crossover benefits etc?
Don't forget about Skyteam elites. I can't recall where they rank but I thought it was after Silver. I could be wrong about that though.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Delta Diamond using GUC
Delta Diamond using RUC
Delta Platinum using RUC

Where did you get the upgrade priority for OP/RP seats? AFAIK DL has never published these rules. In fact, I've been told by phone agents that it's just time of request, but I don't believe it.

You're also forgetting the possibility that a PM could have a GUC from the previous year, etc.. and in fact even a general member could have a GUC or RUC in their account.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the update Felixishim.

I often wondered about the "Tip your way to 1st" route. Apparently it does occur.

What is GUC and RUC? Something upgrade cupon perhaps?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Thanks for the update Felixishim.

I often wondered about the "Tip your way to 1st" route. Apparently it does occur.

What is GUC and RUC? Something upgrade cupon perhaps?
GUC = Global Upgrade Cert
RUC = Regional Upgrade Cert

AFAIK the only way to obtain those is to attain Platinum or Diamond Elite status. As MSP indicated above it's possible a "general" skymiles member might have one if the status lapsed before the cert expires.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
What about a Plat (or even GM, FO, or non-status) using a GUC, as a someone could be a DM the previous year and selected GUCs as a choice gift towards the end of the year before losing DM status? Or would the GUCs expire when the DM status expires even if they were selected less than a year before the date of status drop?

Same question would apply for RUCs being used by non-PM/DM.
GUCs expire in a year, independent of the status of the holder. I used 3 as PM.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: MR, HH, DL, ALK
redo

Perhaps someone would like to redo the entire chart such that it includes the GUCs and RUCs all in line with the rest of the upgrade order AND also note that GUCs and RUCs are processed based on criteria such as fare class and when they're requested (in that order).

There's a great deal of complexity to the upgrade process. Many of us know it does not always go smoothly.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Seattlite
Perhaps someone would like to redo the entire chart such that it includes the GUCs and RUCs all in line with the rest of the upgrade order AND also note that GUCs and RUCs are processed based on criteria such as fare class and when they're requested (in that order).

There's a great deal of complexity to the upgrade process. Many of us know it does not always go smoothly.
Do we know that fare class is a factor for prioritizing the GUC upgrade list? What about status? AFAIK this has never been published or stated by DL.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Seattlite
Redo

Perhaps you'd like to be that someone. You seem to have an idea how it should look with the changes that you outlined above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.