Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Old Sep 7, 10, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
dgxoxo, are you talking about a domestic or international flight? There are no complimentary upgrades on international flights, only occasional op-ups if coach is overbooked.
Old Sep 7, 10, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
dgxoxo, are you talking about a domestic or international flight? There are no complimentary upgrades on international flights, only occasional op-ups if coach is overbooked.
good point - it's a domestic transcon from JFK to LAS.
Old Sep 7, 10, 11:35 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by dgxoxo View Post
good point - it's a domestic transcon from JFK to LAS.
don't forget... if you happen to get lucky and clear before check-in (or if you clear at the gate and run into IROPS), you get skyclub access at JFK.
Old Sep 7, 10, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not true. There are complimentary upgrades on some routes. Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and parts of Northern South America.
Old Sep 7, 10, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
As some one who has flow FO for the better part of 10 years IMHO it is not worth doing any of the upgrade dance.
This states it very concisely. As a Gold this year I am running about 65% for upgrades, and over half of those have come at the gate just before boarding is announced. Time and effort spent strategizing for upgrades as a Silver will be (largely) wasted.
Old Sep 7, 10, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Not true. There are complimentary upgrades on some routes. Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America and parts of Northern South America.
Right! I tend to forget that as I usually fly east-west, not north-south.

But am I right in thinking that those upgrades don't apply to BE flights to those areas?
Old Sep 7, 10, 1:23 pm

Programs: Sky Miles Gold Medallion, American Airlines Platnium, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Silver
Upgrades just seem to be getting so hard to get with fewer and fewer flights there are so many more Medallions on each
Old Sep 7, 10, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by jonecasey View Post
Upgrades just seem to be getting so hard to get with fewer and fewer flights there are so many more Medallions on each
Upgrades vary wildly on the route/time/day.

3 of my last 4 flights were selling upgrades at the gate for want of medallions to upgrade!
Old Sep 7, 10, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM
Right! I tend to forget that as I usually fly east-west, not north-south.

But am I right in thinking that those upgrades don't apply to BE flights to those areas?
Correct. There are complimentary medallion upgrades on international flights within the Americas, but not on flights to Europe, Asia, etc. Flights to/from Hawaii are also excluded.
Old Sep 7, 10, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by ncwillett View Post
Correct. There are complimentary medallion upgrades on international flights within the Americas, but not on flights to Europe, Asia, etc. Flights to/from Hawaii are also excluded.
I'm sadly aware that complimentary upgrades are not available on flights to Europe and Asia. But am I right in understanding that the upgrades on flights between the US and Mexico, Central America, and South America are only available on flights that don't offer BE?
Old Sep 7, 10, 2:44 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

.... But am I right in understanding that the upgrades on flights between the US and Mexico, Central America, and South America are only available on flights that don't offer BE?
Correct:

"Complimentary Upgrade Terms & Conditions
Availability:
Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades are subject to availability, may not be available on all flights or in all markets, and are not valid for travel to/from Hawaii, Transatlantic and Transpacific destinations. Complimentary Upgrades are not available on flights to/from South American cities that are serviced with our BusinessElite® product (i.e., Buenos Aires, Argentina; Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, Brazil; Santiago, Chile; Lima, Peru; Caracas, Venezuela)."

from: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ades/index.jsp
Old Sep 7, 10, 4:55 pm

Upgrade chances on AMS-DTW?

Hi,

Yesterday, upon knowing I won't need the miles immediately, I called to inquire about the upgrade possibility using miles for AMS-DTW (DL243) on Sep 10.

I am on a B fare, but I was told that it would not be possible to even be put on a wait list. Called again today, and was told it would be possible to be on a wait list with a good chance of an upgrade eventually since J seats are available.

Can anyone tell me what my chances are? I think a Z-class availability is needed, but can you tell me the overall J situation?

Also, any other flights looking much better that day?

Thank you for your help!
Old Sep 7, 10, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
expert flyer is showing J7 Z0 for your flight but showing J9 Z1 for Flt 272 that departs two hours before your flight....also shows Z7 on flt 235 two hours after yours
Old Sep 8, 10, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by ianturner View Post
expert flyer is showing J7 Z0 for your flight but showing J9 Z1 for Flt 272 that departs two hours before your flight....also shows Z7 on flt 235 two hours after yours
Thank you very much, ianturner! I just changed to the later flight and have the upgrade!
Old Sep 8, 10, 6:21 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
You need the upgrade going from DTW-AMS, not the other way around--that's easy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: