Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 9, 10, 9:05 am

You most likely made the correct choice if you want the F cabin...have flown this route more than my share of times over the past several years, days of travel have always been Sun/Fri...when making a reservation now I "uncheck" the upgrade box as I have given up on trying to upgrade this route...best I hope for is an exit row aisle seat--my status is GM.
Old Jul 9, 10, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 2015-present; Platinum 2009-2015; NWA Platinum 02-09
SEA - WAS is my regular route and I've gone through each hub more times than I care to admit. I havent noticed a big difference on each hub, just try to get an aircraft with a larger FC and you'll have a better chance. Last time I flew the ATL route, I didn't get upgraded as a platinum, however, I seem to get upgrades about 90% of the time. So as a silver I would say you're very hit or miss.
Old Jul 9, 10, 4:09 pm

Programs: DM, KM,
Departing, I booked the 8:20 flt on the 767 for comfort reasons and did a 757 on return, for schedule convenience.

My son lives in Seattle and I travel there a few times per year. I was upgraded once while still a FO--I think that was sheer luck, but other times I have purchased FC. I really hate to fly coach on vacation. Just like I don't do cheap hotels. I spend enough time in the middle-of-nowhere where I'm lucky to find a Sleep Inn. If I find a Hampton Inn on my biz travel, I've reached Nirvana.
Old Jul 9, 10, 5:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by nypdLieu View Post
if it really matters, try consider connecting through JFK. Your chances through JFK should increase your odds to the 75% range.

Ms nypdlieu is silver medallion and when I do a dummy booking for tomorrow's JFK to SEA flights, the upgrade is available on two out of the four flights for her. For the Atlanta flights for tomorrow, I'm a DM and its request only.

Also, the 10:00 am delta flight out of JFK, #1743, is on the 767-300ER. It has the dated, but still nice BE configured 1st class, which means you have the best chance to get upgraded as there's 36 seats in first class.
I was supposed to fly from IAD-SEA via ATL and was wait listed for an UG from ATL-SEA. Did a SDC for DAL 1743 from JFK got an instant upgrade and the flight left with 12 empty seats in J.
Old Jul 9, 10, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2 View Post
I was supposed to fly from IAD-SEA via ATL and was wait listed for an UG from ATL-SEA. Did a SDC for DAL 1743 from JFK got an instant upgrade and the flight left with 12 empty seats in J.
wait a minute, since when can you SDC through a different connecting city?
Old Jul 9, 10, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu View Post
wait a minute, since when can you SDC through a different connecting city?
Since eons. I've done it many times.
Old Jul 21, 10, 4:25 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Is it possible to purchase an upgrade upon check-in (if yes, at what price ?) ?
Old Jul 21, 10, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by fredsxb View Post
Is it possible to purchase an upgrade upon check-in (if yes, at what price ?) ?
if your purchased fare class on DL is H,Q,K,Y,B,M and if upgrades are available it could be around 150$ per person. Could be lower i think it depends on the distance.
Old Jul 21, 10, 8:57 am

Sunday they were offering $75 upgrades on MCO - LGA. Not a bad amount for an upgrade and it is about the same distance as MIA - JFK.
Old Jul 21, 10, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Upgrade chances - CDG-ATL

Hey fellow FTs, wonder if anyone can give me his/her insight.

I never use miles for upgrades, and never opt for the SWU certificates as well... this week I decided to give it a go and do it for this week's TATL trip, using a part of my vast an almost worthless skypesos fortune.

I booked both flights on M fares, and managed to grab a Z class seat eastbound (ATL-AMS). Westbound I'm waitlisted on delta 273 CDG-ATL (A333). Anyone could take a guess on the chances of clearing it? (westbound is 07/30). I see that J is not that full, and was told on the phone that my upgrade would process (if available) at the check in counter the day of departure. Is this true?

J9 D8 S5 I0 Y4 B0... doesn't look that bad!
Old Jul 21, 10, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Originally Posted by humanoid94 View Post
Wasn't this a "best in class" change? I remember Northwest upgrading KL's elites.
It is a best in class change. Since one can now be a SM member in Europe, or a FB member in the USA, there's no reason why a FB Platinum should get upgraded over a Delta Silver/Gold, as was the case before.
Old Jul 21, 10, 10:25 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'd say chances are pretty good (not guaranteed obviously) especially since you're on a "higher" fare basis and have requested the Z upgrade (check your itinerary to make sure). From your fare bucket list, it actually looks like Economy could be oversold (Y4 indicates only 4 economy at full Y available for sale), you probably had a chance of being operationally upgraded for free as a PM anyways.
Old Jul 21, 10, 10:54 am

Thanks a lot, good to know! On my itinerary it shows I'm waitlisted for BE on that flight, but I'm not sure if I need to do something or if it'll clear at the gate. DL GAs in CDG always seems extremelly busy, and I have a short (short for CDG) connection time..
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:32 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
You must like gambling. I'd never book M/B/Y unless I could confirm Z.
Old Jul 21, 10, 11:35 am

I didn't actually book that class to get the upgrade. It was simply the cheapest one on that flight.

Usually I don't care about it, specially westbound. Sometimes I'll fly in Y, sometimes in J, but I never went for the upgrade before!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: