Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Old Feb 28, 04, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hazmike:
I'm headed to Aruba in April from MEM. My employer has a pretty deep discount with DL. What are my chances of being upgraded to BC/FC on the flight? I have a buncha miles on NW. Or should I just get used to the notion that I'll be in the back?

Thanks.
</font>
Your fare class (forget what you actually paid) and your Delta status tells the story. Knowing the answer to neither of those questions, it is not possible answer your question.

Edited for typo.

[This message has been edited by indufan (edited Feb 28, 2004).]
Old Feb 28, 04, 10:58 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hazmike:
I'm headed to Aruba in April from MEM. My employer has a pretty deep discount with DL. What are my chances of being upgraded to BC/FC on the flight? I have a buncha miles on NW. Or should I just get used to the notion that I'll be in the back?

Thanks.
</font>

Based on what you have provided, your chance is about the same as the other 100 people in coach who want to get upgraded. Nill.
Old Feb 29, 04, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR Plat Premier, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
Not sure of the fare class yet, but I'm Platinum on NW.
Old Feb 29, 04, 9:04 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
There are still no upgrade agreements currently in effect. As a result, while you could earn miles towards your NW account, there is no mechanism to upgrade you on DL metal.
Old Feb 29, 04, 9:20 am

Location: RDU, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Thank god - and I hope it never happens, that's just what I need is a bunch more elites to compete with. I'll never fly NW/CO anyway so I don't care..

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
There are still no upgrade agreements currently in effect. As a result, while you could earn miles towards your NW account, there is no mechanism to upgrade you on DL metal.</font>
Old Feb 29, 04, 11:12 am
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jfulcher:
Thank god - and I hope it never happens, that's just what I need is a bunch more elites to compete with. I'll never fly NW/CO anyway so I don't care..

</font>
I don't think you need to worry about this. While I can't speak for CO flyers, those of us on NW normally only fly DL because we have to. Speaking for only myself, I didn't get the upgrades as a platinum on DL and I surely don't expect to get any now.

Given a choice, we NW pukes just keep on flying in first class and don't sweat it when we get on another carrier(it's only temporary). Even when we get on RJs here we still fly on the mighty NW (Mesaba) Avros.

And, just to be fair, I do think the recently revamped SkyMiles program is better, and I sincerely do hope that you all get more upgrades and great service in the future. (Note: This is NOT sarcastic, I am sincere. DL was my first, great, love and I think most highly of the DL personnel and DL pax. )

[This message has been edited by hnechets (edited Feb 29, 2004).]
Old Feb 29, 04, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
I get upgraded all the time on Delta...the system works well for me, and I rarely ride in coach. Please continue to fly NW so that my trend continues!

By the way...how come you just dont fly NW to aruba?

[This message has been edited by Pointfreak! (edited Feb 29, 2004).]
Old Feb 29, 04, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hnechets:
Speaking for only myself, I didn't get the upgrades as a platinum on DL and I surely don't expect to get any now.</font>
Was this the cause of your home airport or LUT fares? I just don't understand how some PMs can get 0% upgrades while I approach 100%.

Old Feb 29, 04, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by indufan:
Was this the cause of your home airport or LUT fares? I just don't understand how some PMs can get 0% upgrades while I approach 100%.

</font>
Indufan, do you buy YBM fares? Where do you travel to? I am forced to buy the lowest fare (our accounting dept just doesn't understand that we want to buy more expensive fares for upgrades and MQMs )and when flying from to Florida it is difficult to upgrade even as a PM.

Old Feb 29, 04, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Traveller:
Indufan, do you buy YBM fares?</font>
No, I do not buy YBM fares. In fact, I only had one trip all of last year in M clas. But I am also not forced to buy LUT usually. Not for the MQMs, but for the upgrade options. I have been able to stick to that plan as it originated when LUTs were not upgradeable. I am in K class about 90% of the time but even my few LUTs were upgraded last year. I know FL is a tough upgrade market but once you get to ATL that all evens out.
Old Feb 29, 04, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Clank
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by indufan:
I know FL is a tough upgrade market but once you get to ATL that all evens out. </font>
It seems like it should even out, but I am in coach often from ATL-MSP, ATL-PHL, ATL-IAD. Just look at the seat map for MSP-ATL 2145 at 5:21pm for March 11. I have a middle seat on this flight as of now in K class. I don't expect the upgrade to clear on this flight as it hasn't in the past, but I should be able to get better than a middle seat if I get to the airport early.

I fly Mondays mid morning and Thurdays evenings when flights are packed with business travellers. If I waited until Friday morning and took the 5:30 am MSP-ATL I would be able to upgrade, but getting home on Thursday evening is more important to me than getting upgraded.

Old Mar 1, 04, 5:17 pm
Original Member

</font>
This was back in 1998/99 and the answer is both. The L fares, which I got whenever possible were about 50% of my travel. My home airport (VPS) at that time only had ASA ATRs and EMB-120s to ATL, which would often cancel or be so late that I'd miss my upgraded connection in Atlanta and wind up in a middle seat in the back of the plane if I was lucky.

Overall, I probably got upgraded about 20% of the time.

The reliability of NW's DC-9s connecting through the far more reliable Memphis airport also took a lot of the "stress factor" out of flying every week.

Sorry to be somewhat off-topic, just trying to answer a question.

&lt;&lt;Edited to add: I did not count the ATR/EMB portions in the percentages, just the outbound or inbound ATL-wherever/wherever-ATL portion of the trip where I *could* have upgraded and did or didn't get it.&gt;&gt;

[This message has been edited by hnechets (edited Mar 01, 2004).]
Old Mar 1, 04, 5:30 pm
Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pointfreak!:
I get upgraded all the time on Delta...the system works well for me, and I rarely ride in coach. Please continue to fly NW so that my trend continues!

By the way...how come you just dont fly NW to aruba?
[This message has been edited by Pointfreak! (edited Feb 29, 2004).]
</font>

1. No problem.
2. That was Hazmike, not me, trying to get to Aruba. But, the routing might have proven difficult via NW.

[This message has been edited by hnechets (edited Mar 01, 2004).]
Old Mar 1, 04, 6:09 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
I reconfirm the great difficulty of getting upgrading out of Florida and ATL-PHL. I think that since there are a lot of PM in ATL who go to Philly, they oten are forced to buy YBM fares and thus get the upgrades before those of us in FL who buy LUT, KQH fares. More and more ATL passengers seem to be buying the discounted FC (ie A Fares)in this market. (At least the ones that I have been talking to these days!) Oy vay!!!
Old Mar 1, 04, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
I can't remember when I last failed to upgrade on DL (maybe 3 years ago). FWIW, my most traveled routes were NYC to ATL, SMF, CHS, SEA, GIG (gone now), CDG and BOM. But I usually have the luxury of flexible dates.

------------------
Vasant

[Edited for clarification]

[This message has been edited by vasantn (edited Mar 01, 2004).]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: