Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:51 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
For your outbound flight you can use the Crown Room but not the B/E lounge since you are a Platinum but haven't yet upgraded. Both will be on concourse E in ATL.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:57 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pmv:
Another couple of related questions:

1) Better to try to schmooze upgrade at gate or in lounge?

2) Which lounge do I/can I use? I'm a plat, but traveling on coach ticket.
</font>
Technically, in the U.S., I believe you'd only be allowed in Crown Rooms or SkyTeam member lounges. Internationally, you should be allowed in Crown Rooms or any SkyTeam member lounges. I suspect the folks at the BusinessElite lounge wouldn't raise too much of a fuss if you went in as a Platinum on an international ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pmv:
1) Better to try to schmooze upgrade at gate or in lounge?
</font>
Neither. Call up now and try over the phone. Again and again.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:01 pm
pmv

Thanks for all of the tips.

At initial checkin I don't expect much luck (my first flight is with ASA out of VPS!), but I know it doesn't hurt to ask there. I'll probably try at the lounge AND at the gate (as early as possible at the gate!).

Sowalsky.... tried schmoozing on the phone, but definitely getting the "no upgrade on L fare.... sorry" from EVERYONE I've talked too.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:03 pm
pmv

one other thought.... with a LONG layover in ATL, might it behoove me to go out of security and try to schmooze the folks at the ATL checkin counter?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

one other thought.... with a LONG layover in ATL, might it behoove me to go out of security and try to schmooze the folks at the ATL checkin counter?</font>
That will not be necessary.

When you arrive at the airport in Atlanta, simply go to the customer service counter at Concourse A. You cannot miss it. It has all the flight departure schedules on Pioneer flat-panel monitors above it, and it is located near the escalators and stairways that lead to the underground airport transportation system. The agents behind the counter have assisted me in the past and hopefully will consider — and be able to — grant your request.

Good luck, pmv. Please let us know whether or not you were successful.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
one other thought.... with a LONG layover in ATL, might it behoove me to go out of security and try to schmooze the folks at the ATL checkin counter?</font>
Actually, I'd give it a shot at the Crown Room or the BusinessElite lounge before heading over to the counter folks. I don't KNOW this, but I suspect that the CRC or lounge folks might possibly have the ability to exercise a BIT more discretion. Hey, if you strike out, you can always head over to the ticket counters.

Also, it helps if BusinessElite is NOT sold out, and coach is pretty solidly-booked.

Finally, recall that Delta does not normally do day-of-flight upgrades to BusinessElite for "catering reasons".
Old Jul 9, 2003, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The gate will be in full control of the seats. My suggestion is to hit the gate as it opens and politely inquire as to whether there might be any opportunities for an "operational upgrade" for a PM in the military. Let us know how you make out!

BTW, will you be in uniform? You might ask the flight crew as they board whether a PM in the military needs to be up front for weight and balance purposes!
Old Jul 9, 2003, 8:35 pm
pmv

Thanks for the thought RobertS, but for security reasons we don't wear uniforms when flying internationally. Besides... after 21 years and way too many "adventures" I might be mistaken for a third world country dictator 'cuz of all the "fruit salad" on my uniform! lol....
Old Jul 16, 2003, 6:46 am
pmv

Well.... my flight to Germany is this Friday. I'll keep ya posted if I'm able to "sweet-talk" an upgrade!
Old Jul 21, 2003, 4:09 am
pmv

Just thought I'd post the results:

'Twas steerage for me. Didn't help that there were 16 non-revs who took the 16 open B/E seats.... and I've NO complaints there, as I had no "right" to the seat.

I'd forgotten what steerage was like on a long haul. I don't ever want to experience it again!

at least the seat next to me was open (though the armrest didn't lift....)
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:51 am

Upgrade chances..

What are my chances of upgrading BWI-LAX on 18th Feb. on flights 1167 and 437 with 'Q'fare as a GM and a companion also with a 'Q' fare? Is GM upgrade window is 72 hrs, companion with no status 12 hrs?
F is showing 13 empty/unassigned seats at the moment. TIA
Old Feb 15, 2004, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM
Would this happen to be one of those $50 Q fares? Right now it looks pretty good for ATL-LAX, and my guess is that you would probably celar on BWI-ATL:

BWI ATL 1740 1942 DL1169 F7 A7 V7 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 K7 L0 U0 757
LAX 2035 2226 DL 437 F7 A7 V0 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 K7 L7 U7 757

Old Feb 15, 2004, 6:28 am

NHFL9, Thanks for checking it. Yes, it is $50 fare
Old Feb 28, 2004, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR Plat Premier, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
Upgrade chances?

I'm headed to Aruba in April from MEM. My employer has a pretty deep discount with DL. What are my chances of being upgraded to BC/FC on the flight? I have a buncha miles on NW. Or should I just get used to the notion that I'll be in the back?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.