Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Old Oct 15, 02, 10:10 am

Upgrade Chances

Does anyone know which days, times & routes are best for securing upgrades DCA-SAT-DCA? I'm GM, pay upgradable fares and I am time-flexible (for example, Sat. afternoons would be OK if that's the best time). Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 02, 6:29 am

Upgrade Chances LGA-PBI

Being a new SM I was wondering if anyone was familiar with upgrade chances between LGA & PBI over President's Day Weekend. I'm on the following flights:

2/12/02 - DL181 - LGA-PBI - K
2/17/02 - DL260 - PBI-LGA - K

I'd imagine being such a weekend the chances on these flights are small, any suggestions as to what flights may be a better bet would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 02, 6:51 am

Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
I guess you mean 2003...

12FEB03 LGA-PBI
LGA PBI 1645 1948 DL 181 G0 V0 763*C

17FEB03 PBI-LGA
PBI LGA 0750 1033 DL 260 G0 V0 757*C

As of right now, you are out of luck even if you want to use certs or if you are PM... if you want the upgrade, it seems to me that you'll only have a shot at it as a standby...
Old Oct 27, 02, 8:50 am
Moderator: Travel with Pets

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
You will be in the middle of the snowbird season and upgrades to and from PBI are extremely difficult, especially on a holiday weekend. I plan way ahead for my LGA-PBI trips during the winter and make sure that I reserve my upgrades with NAMU's at the time of booking.

Old Jun 1, 03, 11:59 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Chance of an upgrade?

Hey folks,
I am a SM with a bank of about 15 upgrade points. I have stopped flying DL and changed to US but still have a personal vacation trip coming up in a few weeks. My family and I are headed to SFO on L class tickets. Is there any chance I will be able to upgrade my ticket? I know I have to wait until the day of the flight, but I’d love to upgrade mine and then let my fiancé or mother sit up front. Anyone have any tips?
Also, will the CRC let me bring in 3 guests if I ask really nicely?

-SpaceBass
Old Jun 1, 03, 12:57 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SpaceBass:
Hey folks,
I am a SM with a bank of about 15 upgrade points. I have stopped flying DL and changed to US but still have a personal vacation trip coming up in a few weeks. My family and I are headed to SFO on L class tickets. Is there any chance I will be able to upgrade my ticket? I know I have to wait until the day of the flight, but I’d love to upgrade mine and then let my fiancé or mother sit up front. Anyone have any tips?
Also, will the CRC let me bring in 3 guests if I ask really nicely?
-SpaceBass
</font>
Having gone through this a couple of times, there is no question you can upgrade within 12 hours of departure if a seat is available. If the family members you are traveling with are booked in "L" and are not medaillion members, nothing on earth or in space is going to bring them into FC short of ponying up money for an upgradable fare with NAMU's, original miles(K+) or SM's (H+) where you will have to pay for the difference and change-fee - again provided FC seats are available.

Thus, at best, you will be able to put one person up in FC. When we travel domestically as a family (5), we play cards for the 2 seats (me + NAMU companion)(I am automatically disqualified) as I am the only Medaillion member!. My wife usually wants to sit with me, so it is almost always ends up being two of the kids who gets the "honor". NAMU's will be replaced by points-companion upgrade - not sure how that exactly will work (i.e. does the companion become upgradable on the Medaillion Members terms?). But I still have a stack of NAMU's lasting until then. Oh well, I am digressing - will stop here.
Old Jun 4, 03, 10:34 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying_Duck:
Having gone through this a couple of times, there is no question you can upgrade within 12 hours of departure if a seat is available. .</font>
I called delta and they informed me that first was over sold; which is quite rare. I asked about using miles to upgrade and they said that was not a possability on a L class ticket. Does anyone know of any other way? I figure vacation is the best time to burn up these 12 500 mile upgrade points I have... but they make it so hard to use those.
Old Jun 4, 03, 11:25 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Most important though is that only YOU can use your upgrade points/segments/coupons. They are NOT transferable or assignable to others. And, if first is already oversold, you have a better chance of flying the concorde.

Old Jun 4, 03, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SpaceBass:
Also, will the CRC let me bring in 3 guests if I ask really nicely?SpaceBass</font>
The key is, as you say, asking real nice with your best smile. The rules are two guests only. However, it's often bent to allow add'l family members who are traveling together.
Good luck...and enjoy your vacation.

Old Jun 4, 03, 5:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 3MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
On the issue of CRC access, if they are immediate family, they can all come in. "Immediate" means your wife and kids. I regularly bring my wife and three children in with me.

As to the upgrade, only you can upgrade if it is available. HOWEVER, you can give your upgraded seat to any member of your family (or passenger on the plane for that matter) and take their's in the back cabin. (Have seen this done recently with members of the armed forces. FC patriots give up their seats in a gesture of thanks)

That being said, if FC is in an "oversold" situation, your chances just went to somewhere close to zero.
Old Jul 9, 03, 9:36 am
pmv

Any chance on this upgrade happening?

I figure it never hurts to ask when checking in, but any tips would be appreciated.

Flying to Europe on military purchased ticket -- L fare going / Y fare returning. Have upgraded the return already with a PMU. Flight going still seems pretty wide open.... I know that the official stance is "no waivers no favors", but as a Plat (and military to boot) do you think I've got any chance?

Any recommendations on ways to proceed?

Flight in question: 7/18 DL14 ATL-FRA
(possible backup) DL20 ATL-FRA
Old Jul 9, 03, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
I suggest you tell them exactly what you said in your post. Being PM and military, unless there are late high fare payers on this flight, you should get the upgrade. These days, your military connection should count for more than you're being a PM. Good luck and Godspeed.
Old Jul 9, 03, 9:54 am
pmv

two more related thoughts/questions:

1) better to try to sweet talk upgrade at gate or in the lounge
2) as a plat on an intl flight, do i use the B/E lounge (on the Y outbound) or the Crown Room?
Old Jul 9, 03, 10:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pmv:
two more related thoughts/questions:

1) better to try to sweet talk upgrade at gate or in the lounge
2) as a plat on an intl flight, do i use the B/E lounge (on the Y outbound) or the Crown Room?
</font>
If you have a B/E seat on your boarding card you can use the B/E lounge.

Try getting a upgrade at check-in.
Old Jul 9, 03, 11:38 am
pmv

Another couple of related questions:

1) Better to try to schmooze upgrade at gate or in lounge?

2) Which lounge do I/can I use? I'm a plat, but traveling on coach ticket.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: