Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
I've gotten the upgrade on 2371 a couple of times as a FO (well, once back when it was 1002). Last time I got UG'ed on it was the Tuesday night before Thanksgiving. As long as it's a 757 it shouldn't be too difficult, especially if you're a GM.

As for the way back, LGA-DTW-SLC will actually earn you fewer miles than the nonstop JFK-SLC (something like 8 miles fewer -- it's ridiculously close). However, I've only been upgraded on JFK-SLC once and IIRC that was a Saturday night last January. JFK-SLC can be ridiculously tough to get upgraded (I think my record was 40 or 50something of 60 for 1 or 2 seats). If you can survive EC for four or five hours then I'd definitely take the nonstop (plus check the 7am DL462, the last month or so it's been a 75E :-.

-J.
I really wanted to come back on the 75E, but I know there's no way I could score an upgrade on that (and the C fare was something staggering, like $1500...), but it was tempting to try to get a seat in row 35 (that's the one with the extra legroom and the footrests, I think). But my schedule doesn't allow it. I already had to cut my trip short by a few days, because of work and school on the 13th and 14th, so I have to take the redeye on Friday night. That means in order to maximize my time in NYC, I'll need to leave on Monday evening, because it'll be a bit of a trip to get over to JFK from Chelsea; also, I have to be back by Tuesday. If I can survive lots of TATLs on the old 763s, I think I can survive EC for a few hours. One thing I did like about the second option, though, is departing from LGA rather than JFK. Even though it means a connection, it was a little bit cheaper.

edit: I just double checked, and the nonstop is now pricing $50 lower than it did about 5 hours ago...hmm, now the nonstop and the connection are only $11 different.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Amazing, just got my 3rd EUA ever on a tcon route. Is this DLs way of phantom UG's before they remove this benefit? Craziest is that it was a Friday tcon. Must be low on DM's.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 am

AA International Upgrade Cancellation

Bought a ticket for a friend to fly with me to Europe in April. Used 50,000 miles + $700 to upgrade round trip to business class. Friend has to drop out of trip.

Apparently $275 change fee on the original ticket, $150 to have miles re-instated, and the upgrade fees are completely non-refundable.

Is that the way everyone reads it and is there any chance I can get any of the upgrade fees refunded?

I'm platinum for life on AA, but I'm sure that means squat.

Any help appreciated.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by fevertx
Bought a ticket for a friend to fly with me to Europe in April. Used 50,000 miles + $700 to upgrade round trip to business class. Friend has to drop out of trip.

Apparently $275 change fee on the original ticket, $150 to have miles re-instated, and the upgrade fees are completely non-refundable.

Is that the way everyone reads it and is there any chance I can get any of the upgrade fees refunded?

I'm platinum for life on AA, but I'm sure that means squat.

Any help appreciated.
You've posted this on the Delta forum; you should ask about it on the AA forum.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Any thoughts on UG chances MSP-DEN?

I'm flying MSP-DEN for a buddy's bachelor party next Saturday on an MD-90. Flight is showing 9s in first (and 15 empty on the seatmap — I know, I know) and just 3K, 1L in coach. I'm a GM. Anyone have experience on this route and can suggest whether I should keep my hopes up?

I've been GM for six months and have had exactly one UG — and that was on an IRROPS. Would be nice to get one legitimately, and a Saturday morning flight to ski country seems like it would be a good likelihood.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I'm flying MSP-DEN for a buddy's bachelor party next Saturday on an MD-90. Flight is showing 9s in first (and 15 empty on the seatmap — I know, I know) and just 3K, 1L in coach. I'm a GM. Anyone have experience on this route and can suggest whether I should keep my hopes up?

I've been GM for six months and have had exactly one UG — and that was on an IRROPS. Would be nice to get one legitimately, and a Saturday morning flight to ski country seems like it would be a good likelihood.
I found your flight by looking for the one with 15 open F seats on the seat map next Saturday. That definitely looks like the best option of the day for an upgrade. I know people on here say seat maps aren't accurate, but I think for the F cabin on domestic flights they tend to be pretty close, so I'd be fairly confident the number is no less than 13.

There appear to be at least nine seats in the upgrade bucket right now.I came to this conclusion by logging in and searching for Y fare or higher for 9 passengers on MSP-DEN next Saturday and then hovering over the Upgrade Eligibility button. You'll notice that the 7:49 flight shows 12 empty F seats but only shows Upgrade Eligible. I tried to change the number of passengers to see when it would change to Upgrade Available on that flight to show a comparison, but the booking engine seems to have broken (big surprise).

To see how many DMs/PMs get upgraded, check the number of F seats right before 5pm EST on Sunday and then again later that evening. You can also see if Upgrade Available is still showing at that point and for how many seats. If there are still a good number remaining, you might get that wonderful upgrade email Tuesday night or at least have a good chance for an upgrade at the gate since there probably aren't too many last minute purchases for that route at that time.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I found your flight by looking for the one with 15 open F seats on the seat map next Saturday. That definitely looks like the best option of the day for an upgrade. I know people on here say seat maps aren't accurate, but I think for the F cabin on domestic flights they tend to be pretty close, so I'd be fairly confident the number is no less than 13.

There appear to be at least nine seats in the upgrade bucket right now.I came to this conclusion by logging in and searching for Y fare or higher for 9 passengers on MSP-DEN next Saturday and then hovering over the Upgrade Eligibility button. You'll notice that the 7:49 flight shows 12 empty F seats but only shows Upgrade Eligible. I tried to change the number of passengers to see when it would change to Upgrade Available on that flight to show a comparison, but the booking engine seems to have broken (big surprise).

To see how many DMs/PMs get upgraded, check the number of F seats right before 5pm EST on Sunday and then again later that evening. You can also see if Upgrade Available is still showing at that point and for how many seats. If there are still a good number remaining, you might get that wonderful upgrade email Tuesday night or at least have a good chance for an upgrade at the gate since there probably aren't too many last minute purchases for that route at that time.
Thanks for doing that research. Hadn't thought about checking the availability that way. I'm seriously hoping for the Tuesday upgrade.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
Although in the past I've contemplated traveling on national holidays in the past, the opportunity has never come up until now. I'll be traveling to New York to visit a friend during President's Day (and coincidentally, Valentines') weekend. I only have one option to SLC-JFK, and that's on DL 2371, a redeye leaving 14 Feb (a Friday) at nearly midnight. So just for kicks, any idea what kind of chances a GM has on scoring an UG on that route? F is wide open, EC and preferred mostly open.
Well, just got the "upgrade is now confirmed" email about an hour ago for SLC-JFK this coming Friday's redeye. Got it at the GM window, flying on a U fare. Way to kick off my first trip to NYC!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
So I see Z2 available, booked 2 B class tickets to LHR and ended up being waitlisted, after calling the DM line and applying SWUs. Is this correct or should I call them back?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by alee0729
So I see Z2 available, booked 2 B class tickets to LHR and ended up being waitlisted. Is this correct or should I call them back?
Z is no longer the indicator of UG availibility.

For SWUs/miles, I believe it's now RP or OP.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
So I see Z2 available, booked 2 B class tickets to LHR and ended up being waitlisted, after calling the DM line and applying SWUs. Is this correct or should I call them back?
That's correct, unfortunately. Delta changed the upgrade class from Z to OP. They also recently removed the ability to check for OP space online. If you're still within 24 hours or if your B fare is fully flexible or you're willing to pay the change fee, you can call and have them search for alternate flights with OP space and change to those.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Originally Posted by rwoman
Z is no longer the indicator of UG availibility.

For SWUs/miles, I believe it's now RP or OP.
Thx... that makes more sense. I'm about 2 weeks out from my trip... the LHR-JFK leg cleared when I called, but the JFK-LHR is waitlisted. Hopefully it clears in a few days.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Just as a data point, I got ATL-MEX and v.v. right at the window in both directions as a PM. Special menu for meals on that one as well. OTOH, the batting average on transcons has been terrible, even ones to places like PDX or SMF.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Thx... that makes more sense. I'm about 2 weeks out from my trip... the LHR-JFK leg cleared when I called, but the JFK-LHR is waitlisted. Hopefully it clears in a few days.
For my LAX-MSP-LHR trip next month, it's showing RP and OP.

Good luck with getting the UG!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist
SWU on popular routes: tough to get upgrade - does BE really sell out that often?

[Crossposting this to a few relevant threads; regulars, please reply on the thread you think is most appropriate. ]

I have needed to take a lot of popular route red-eyes lately for my job. I've bought K fares specifically so I could use some of my precious (now deprecated) SWU's to make sure I get a BE seat to sleep.

Like most SWU usage on popular routes, they won't auto-upgrade this, but you have to wait and get the GA to do. You end up first on the list.

Yet, three times now, I've faced BE being full before I even got to the gate, and the GA couldn't do a thing for me.

One time on LAX->JFK, an entire wealthy family had bought out all of BE (it was weird and rather pointless to see baby car seats strapped into flat-bed seats . So, I thought that was an anomaly. But two other times on {SFO,LAX}->JFK, I've faced BE being full.

Right now, I'm scheduled for SFO->JFK on the 2014-05-01 10:55pm red-eye, and BE shows as full right now. I'm expecting to be stuck in the back again, despite the SWU.

Have others experienced this? Is it really the case that these BE seats sell for revenue often?

Indeed, I even looked at doing an SDC to the earlier red-eye that day if I can get out of my conference meetings early, and it's got BE full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.