Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Brian286
By the way, I forgot to ask...those statistics you provided for availability..I'm assumbing you got those from travelexpert.com.

Do you find that it's worth subscribing to?
Actually, I get the info from expertflyer.com. Full 'premium' service costs about $10/month but I think they have an option for $5/month that allows you a more limited number of queries. Expertflyer.com has been quite invaluable to me as it is the only website that allows me to check "Z" upgrade availability on DL using PMUs or miles (for international upgrade availability), in addition to upgrade availability on a number of other airlines that I frequent (e.g., AA)
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta
Another question.

In your experience when do they start opening up the waitlist? Is there a maximum amount of people who get on the waitlist? Also, when should I begin to doubt whether or not it will happen?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:20 pm

J9 D9 I9 which suggests very decent availability;

So what exactly does this mean?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Another question.

In your experience when do they start opening up the waitlist? Is there a maximum amount of people who get on the waitlist? Also, when should I begin to doubt whether or not it will happen?
You will hate this answer: It depends. It depends on whether inventory is 'moving' or not as we get closer to flight time. FLights to/from CDG, I've found, usually don't start opening up again for waitlist clearing until a few days before (if you didn't get them the first time round, which is usually a few months ahead). Other 'easier-to-get' flights such as JFK-FRA or JFK-AMS or JFK-TXL generally open back up sooner (if they were ever closed in the first place). If your flight remains at J9D9I9 for a pretty long time, then I'd say that your chances are very good. If for example your flight is at J9D9I4 a week before or a few days before, you should probably also clear as a PM. Another clue that almost always works - if there is no "I" class availability, that usually also means that there will be no upgrade availability either.

J9 D9 I9 which suggests very decent availability;

So what exactly does this mean??
It means that there are at least 9 seats available in each of those fare classes (J = full fare business; D = discounted Business; I = deeply discounted Business). J9D9I9 could mean that there are 9 or 30 seats available in Business to sell. Once it goes below 9, you will usually see the real number of seats available - e.g., J4 D4 I0 or J4 D0 I0 means there are probably about 4 seats left for sale (someone from DL reservations can correct me if I'm wrong)
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:31 am

So I talk to several customer service today about my upgrade.

Outbound from ATL-FRA on DL 20 is still showing availability in BizE J7D7 but now I shows 0.

So since I have time to burn I start asking questions. Agent said I might clear and might not. Then he puts me on hold to get further clarification. Comes back on and says the ATL-FRA is always filled with govt' officials and they will fly the Biz cabin with empty seats prior to upgrading PM's with certificates.

He finds availability on my return through JFK but I avoid JFK like the plague. For the heck of it I hold to be transferred to ticket reissue. Knowledgeable lady says that the cabin is more than 1/2 empty each way and they will upgrade PM's if there's room and suggest that I should just stick with what I have and let time work it out that the upgrade will most likely happen.

So who's telling the truth? Govt' officials through ATL to FRA? Sounds weird to me.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:17 pm

Update...

My return segment cleared the waitlist on 2/21/07 and my return cleared today.

Thanks for everyone's info...
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:35 pm

Programs: Skyteam
DL PM's chance on an upgrade on CO metal.

Have you ever gotten an upgrade on CO metal flights as DL Elite? I know there is no reciprocal aggreement but, I'm just hoping it happens more than never.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
My personal record: never.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Chances are zero! No agreement equals no upgrade but you do get to pick a better seat and board when all the other elite members board for what that is worth. You may have to call CO and get them to add your DL number in order to be able to get the exit row seats etc.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:18 pm

Programs: Not enough to count anymore
Originally Posted by MM/PM widget
Chances are zero! No agreement equals no upgrade but you do get to pick a better seat and board when all the other elite members board for what that is worth. You may have to call CO and get them to add your DL number in order to be able to get the exit row seats etc.
Just flew CO today and the chance is zero. FWIW though, I did get my luggage tagged with elite priority stickers that actually worked for a domestic flight!
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I got an upgrade years ago on a IAH- lax flight. but nothing in the last few years
Old Mar 12, 2007, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Flying first time with continental next Tuesday (20th) as Delta had no flights from IAH to OKC. Booked it online for only €65 ($80), which I thought was cheap

It seems to me that the website recognised my Skyteam Elite status from my Delta number, as it gave me access to Priority seating. Great to here that PMs get early boarding, was also about to post my own message about upgrade possibilities.

Hopefully won't get giving the full secutity grilling the last time I booked a US (non delta) internal flight over the Net
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:42 am
myk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
not sure how much you've read, but a lot of CO elites don't even get an upgrade on CO metal - there's just not enough seats to go around.

i got lucky a few times as a GM getting upgraded on NW metal, but those DC9s and ARJ's had sooooooooo many first class seats...
Old Apr 4, 2007, 1:58 pm

what route has a better chance of Medallion upgrade?

folks
traveling from SFO-RDU via LAX in a couple weeks - I am a Silver with DL and have requested Medallion upgrades for 3 of my 4 segments - do u think it would be a better idea to fly SFO-ATL-RDU instead for "up"ping my chances of a 1 day prior complimentary upgrade?
Thanks!!
Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:25 pm

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
My thought would be you would have a better chance not going through Atlanta, especially if you are on a reduced fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.