Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Old Jan 10, 07, 4:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Really? I have always been upgraded on these flights out of EWR to SLC. I find JFK harder to get an upgrade on, although already cleared my JFK-SLC upgrade the other day for Sunday. Maybe times are changing.....
Old Jan 28, 07, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Better chance of upgrade:

I have a choice of a couple flights for my mid-week ATL-NYC flight. Which would give me a better oppertunity to get the elite upgrade??
ATL-LGA 10:45am 757
ATL-JFK 5:50pm 777
It would be nice to sit in the 777 but, whichever gives me the best upgrade chance will be chosen.
Thanks,
SR
Old Jan 28, 07, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta
I'd say the 777 just because it has twice as many seats up front compared to a 757.
Old Jan 28, 07, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
right, you are talking about 50 seats in the 777 vs 24 seats in the 757. Definately the 777.
Old Jan 30, 07, 3:56 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Just to join the chorus..the 777 on ATL-JFK almost always has X or Z availability - have been monitoring it for a few weeks now...
Old Jan 30, 07, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Funny, because when I took the JFK-ATL flight after Thanksgiving, I had to play gate lottery. The flight went out with a few OPEN seats in J - go figure. Maybe journey control/ yield management was still feeling out the 777 on this route. I guess I will probably see a clear at the window.
SR
Old Jan 31, 07, 3:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond,Holiday Inn Spire Ambassadorr Ambassador ,AA Gold
flight delays

I know the upgrade would be nice, but based on my track record, that flight has many more dleays than that morning flight, so...if you are not in need to get to NYC by a certain time I would agree about the 777.
Old Jan 31, 07, 5:55 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Jul 30, 07 at 2:20 pm
Old Feb 19, 07, 12:56 pm

Upgrade Chances Flight

I'm a Platinum on Delta.

Holding a B class ticket.

RIC-FRA 3/18/07 on DL 1633 RIC-ATL then DL 20 ATL-FRA
I'm waitlisted for an upgrade using an award certificate.
The flight shows 24 seats open in B-Elite

FRA-RIC 3/21/07 on DL 15 FRA-ATL then DL 554 ATL-RIC
Again waitlisted for an upgrade using an award certificate.
Flight shows 22 seats open in B-Elite

Agents on the phone say that I'll most likely get the upgrade with my status but can't understand why they don't confirm.

So my question...anyone know what's going on? What are the chances of getting the upgrade? Frustrating to work so hard to get to Platinum only to be waitlisted.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 19, 07, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Originally Posted by Brian286 View Post
Any thoughts?
Yes, but nothing printable. Welcome to FT!

The frustrations of trying to use PMUs have been well-documented here. With a few notable exceptions, most of us think they are good for nothing but use as birdcage liners. But if the BE cabin load is as light as you think it is (BTW, seat maps are not reliable indicators of load), your upgrades will most likely be confirmed at some point.
Old Feb 19, 07, 1:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm in a new position at work that requires frequent travel to Europe. Delta is the best option for my home city.

In the past 3 trips upgrades have been confirmed at booking but this is the first one where I've been waitlisted. And the others had a heavier load with the same routing.

An upgrade was available if I went through JFK but due to the past 2 trips through the commuter terminal at JFK I avoid it like the plague. We sat 1.5 hrs on the tarmac waiting to park. Luckily the outbound to Frankfurt was delayed due to a medical but I won't do JFK unless I absolutely have to....
Old Feb 19, 07, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Brian286 View Post
I'm a Platinum on Delta.

Holding a B class ticket.

RIC-FRA 3/18/07 on DL 1633 RIC-ATL then DL 20 ATL-FRA
I'm waitlisted for an upgrade using an award certificate.
The flight shows 24 seats open in B-Elite

FRA-RIC 3/21/07 on DL 15 FRA-ATL then DL 554 ATL-RIC
Again waitlisted for an upgrade using an award certificate.
Flight shows 22 seats open in B-Elite

Agents on the phone say that I'll most likely get the upgrade with my status but can't understand why they don't confirm.

So my question...anyone know what's going on? What are the chances of getting the upgrade? Frustrating to work so hard to get to Platinum only to be waitlisted.

Any thoughts?
Looking at the availability, both DL20 on 3/18 and DL15 on 3/21 show J9 D9 I9 which suggests very decent availability; I wouldn't sweat it too much. 3/18 is a Sunday which tends to be a pretty popular time for business travelers heading over to Europe hence DL holds back the upgrade seats until later.

Generally speaking, ATL is naturally tougher to get many upgrades cleared in advance particularly for travel on peak days; JFK is generally easier though many don't like to connect through there. I've been doing the upgrade/waitlist thing for a long time and have pretty much learnt to play the game and anticipate which situations will be favorable. There are still a few routes with which I don't really like to play this roulette: ATL-NRT (unless it's on a Tues/Wed/Thurs) and JFK-BOM (months and months in advance). Lately though, NRT has been getting a bit easier but BOM is Very Very Tough.
Old Feb 19, 07, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta View Post
ATL is naturally tougher to get many upgrades cleared in advance particularly for travel on peak days; JFK is generally easier though many don't like to connect through there.
Agreed, but I think JFK is easier precisely because pax avoid connecting there.
Old Feb 19, 07, 1:55 pm

Thanks Clipper.

Although going through ATL makes my trip longer I really don't mind. In fact if I'm upgraded it gives me a little more time to try to get some rest. In addition I get more MQM's.

In terms of choices I generally pick ATL first, CVG, then if I absolutely have to JFK.

I also find that the flight crews are much more pleasant out of ATL and CVG. JFK's were quite rude in BizE.
Old Feb 19, 07, 1:58 pm

By the way, I forgot to ask...those statistics you provided for availability..I'm assumbing you got those from travelexpert.com.

Do you find that it's worth subscribing to?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: