Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM - Hertz PC - SPG Platinum - Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dubyasee9
Any chance someone could look up the Z inventory from ATL-PDX on 12/17/11 at 9:40AM?
Saw a connection through SEA at 9:50am. The only direct I see is 4:50pm where Z=3
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dubyasee9
Any chance someone could look up the Z inventory from ATL-PDX on 12/17/11 at 9:40AM?
You are not looking for Z on that flight, rather you must mean G, miles or PMU upgradeable.

Nevertheless, I have very bad news for you. That flight already shows only F4G0V0 and the UG chances are slim, even for a DM.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by monitor
You are not looking for Z on that flight, rather you must mean G, miles or PMU upgradeable.

Nevertheless, I have very bad news for you. That flight already shows only F4G0V0 and the UG chances are slim, even for a DM.
Ahh yes, I was mistaken. Too bad. Thanks for the help though.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:06 am

Programs: UA Platinum. 1MM IHG Platinum. National EE. Hertz PC
Learning...

I have an unhealthy obsession with UG's my friends and family think I am nuts. "Why spend more hours figuring out a flight than time you will actually be on the plane?" It's just a hobby few understand.

I'm GM on DL27 JFK-LAX 11/11

2 Qs:

1)On Expertflyer it shows 2 in I and 4 in J on delta.com it shows there are only 5 seats available? How does that work? is there an I/J overlap?

2)Is there any data to see how close to the flight they usually open up the remaining V/X?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by putney
I have an unhealthy obsession with UG's my friends and family think I am nuts. "Why spend more hours figuring out a flight than time you will actually be on the plane?" It's just a hobby few understand.

I'm GM on DL27 JFK-LAX 11/11

2 Qs:

1)On Expertflyer it shows 2 in I and 4 in J on delta.com it shows there are only 5 seats available? How does that work? is there an I/J overlap?

2)Is there any data to see how close to the flight they usually open up the remaining V/X?

Thanks!
1. Generally speaking, the seat map and fare buckets will not match numbers. People may have bought tickets and not picked seats, and seats may be blocked off for airport control thus appearing full.

2. With these flights, it almost always goes to gate control. There are a few stories on FT about getting upgraded in advance on the JFK-SFO/LAX flights, but those typically don't happen (and almost certainly won't happen on your flight, given how little space is left).
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by putney
I have an unhealthy obsession with UG's my friends and family think I am nuts.
You obviously are new to FT since you haven't yet learned that obsession with UG's is both normal and healthy! After all, there is little that is more injurious to one's health (physical and mental) than a 5+ hour ride in the back of the plane.

Yes, there is an I/J overlap. J is the # of Business seats that DL is willing to sell at full price, although 9 is the most it will ever show. I is a discounted Business fare class and usually a subset of J.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
Tomorrow DTW-SEA

Departing at 12:30, on a holiday... Tons of reserved seats left in the back of the bus... What are the chances?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:28 am

Howdy. New to FT.

I've looked at ExpertFlyer, but cannot tell how to find out how many of what fare are available in Bus/First for DL 176 ATL to DUB on Feb. 13. Looks like only four of 30 seats are currently taken.

I'm Silver, and it's a discounted ticket, so I know the chances are probably pretty low for me and my partner.

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by shuffles82
Howdy. New to FT.

I've looked at ExpertFlyer, but cannot tell how to find out how many of what fare are available in Bus/First for DL 176 ATL to DUB on Feb. 13. Looks like only four of 30 seats are currently taken.

I'm Silver, and it's a discounted ticket, so I know the chances are probably pretty low for me and my partner.

Thanks!
Dublin IRE? You cannot get an upgrade to DUB unless you buy a $3500 M fare. Did you mean some other domestic location?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:55 am

Yes, Dublin Ireland. Can you explain a little more about what you mean when you say "You cannot get an upgrade to DUB unless you buy a $3500 M fare?" Is that because I'm Silver, or because that's the lowest discounted fare they'll upgrade, or what?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by shuffles82
Yes, Dublin Ireland. Can you explain a little more about what you mean when you say "You cannot get an upgrade to DUB unless you buy a $3500 M fare?" Is that because I'm Silver, or because that's the lowest discounted fare they'll upgrade, or what?

Thanks again!
It's because DL (nor any US carrier) doesn't offer free upgrades on TATL/TPAC flights (technically speaking, they don't offer upgrades on international flights marketed with Business Elite). The only exception is when they need to operationally upgrade someone because of an oversale in Y. In that case, they go down the pecking order with regard to elite status and upgrade those folks until the load is balanced.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:09 pm

SLC-PVR early November - PM upgrade at 5 day window, FO no upgrade. Same on return.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Priority Club Platinum
My anecdote:

Last year flew ATL-SJD on Christmas Day as an FO, back from SJD-ATL on New Year's Eve as a GM (the flight down put me over from FO to GM, and the status didn't post until already inside the 3-day GM window.)

No upgrade on ATL-SJD, but upgrade for me AND my non-medallion companion on the SJD-ATL flight home.

Looking forward to seeing what happens this year as a PM (with FO travel partner).
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I just looked back at my upgrade rates since I made FO last Spring. I've flown a total of 25 segments where an upgrade was possible (domestic flight with FC seats).

Overall, I've had 15 upgrades for a rate of 60%.
As an FO I was 6 for 12 for 50%.
As GM I've been 9 for 13 for 69%.
Six more segments to go as a GM before I make PM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: DL DM
Any chance on a Thursday afternoon/night EWR-MEM-SLC-OAK? EWR-MEM is on a CRJ700 then A320 for MEM-SLC-OAK...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.