Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to VA transfer @ LAX - Airside Shuttle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL

Is there an airside shuttle from the DL terminals to the VA terminal @ LAX?

I'll be booking a trip with both carriers on the same ticket. One option has a 1:40 layover (inbound DL17 from ATL on the B777LR) and the other option has a 3:54 layover (inbound from ATL on a domestic B763.) Obviously I want to fly on the B777LR between LAX and ATL; however, I'm afraid of misconnecting if there's no airside shuttle.

And I would've taken DL17 from LAX to SYD but DL wants 370k miles to fly on their own metal where as it's just 150k miles to fly on VA metal.

- Pat

Last edited by Wiirachay; Oct 22, 2010 at 12:21 pm
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
As of a month ago, there was a T5 to T3 shuttle (AS currently operates out of T3 along with VA). I believe it leaves near gate 39 in T3.

1:40 should be enough time even if you don't use the shuttle and choose to walk to T3 and go through security there. At most, that process will take 40 mins.

Are you sure DL 17 ATL-LAX is the 77L on your date? Currently they're running 763s (the 77L for LAX-SYD comes from either DTW or ATL on a different flight). I'd probably choose the 3:54 layover option just to be safe. Go to Encounters and have a cocktail.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Oct 22, 2010 at 11:51 am
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Are you sure DL 17 ATL-LAX is the 77L on your date? Currently they're running 763s (the 77L for LAX-SYD comes from either DTW or ATL on a different flight). I'd probably choose the 3:54 layover option just to be safe. Go to Encounters and have a cocktail.
+1 Pretty sure there aren't any 777 ATL domestic departures these days, though occasionally there may be a flight that goes on the 777 to reposition an aircraft for an international flight. I believe the LAX-SYD aircraft comes from DTW these days but it's a longer layover @ LAX for you, unless you really wanted to route yourself via DTW just to experience the 777 lie flat. Of course that is subject to change depending on your dates.

You may know this already, but some of the ATL-LAX flights on 763s will show as having business class, more than likely it will be domestic first seating. Flight #s share those with in-bound or continuing International flights (i.e. DL 17) and thus are listed as having business class for the entire itinerary, even though there's an aircraft change involved.

I'm based in ATL and you just never know...I'd take the longer layover too with the change in terminal & airline, simply for less stress...and that cocktail @ Encounters.

PS sorry I can't answer your original question about the shuttle, but hope the flight info is also helpful in your planning.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

As of a month ago, there was a T5 to T3 shuttle (AS currently operates out of T3 along with VA). I believe it leaves near gate 39 in T3.

1:40 should be enough time even if you don't use the shuttle and choose to walk to T3 and go through security there. At most, that process will take 40 mins.

Thanks. According to DL.com, the plane is a B77L for 16 and 17 next year. However, I forgot about the 77L swaps between ATL, LAX, and DTW that've been going on this past year.

So I'm going to just book myself on the earlier flight and relax in LAX for 4 hours. It'll be a good chance for me to have a nice shower in the DL SkyClub before my trek over to T3, and perhaps drink a bit at Encounters.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
+1 Pretty sure there aren't any 777 ATL domestic departures these days, though occasionally there may be a flight that goes on the 777 to reposition an aircraft for an international flight. I believe the LAX-SYD aircraft comes from DTW these days but it's a longer layover @ LAX for you, unless you really wanted to route yourself via DTW just to experience the 777 lie flat. Of course that is subject to change depending on your dates.
This is false; there are many domestic 777 ATL domestic departures: 777-200ERs and 777-200LRs fly ATL-DTW multiple times a week.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DLATL777
This is false; there are many domestic 777 ATL domestic departures: 777-200ERs and 777-200LRs fly ATL-DTW multiple times a week.
Just to clarify this, as I mentioned above there are ATL-LAX 77Ls, but currently they're not DL 17.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Apologies for the inaccurate info, I see now how the info I got was bad. Glad to know I might still have a shot, albeit remote, to experience the 777 lie flat out of ATL without going to SYD, DXB or other really long flight.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:44 pm

The airside shuttle would not be a benefit here because you have to check-in with V Australia land-side.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Colin
The airside shuttle would not be a benefit here because you have to check-in with V Australia land-side.
Is it not possible to check in at the gate or in the Clubhouse?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Just to clarify this, as I mentioned above there are ATL-LAX 77Ls, but currently they're not DL 17.
There are no regularly scheduled ATL-LAX 77LRs. The only BE equipped aircraft regularly scheduled ATL-LAX is the A332. The 777LR does run scheduled LAX-ATL, but not the other way.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:46 pm

There are no regularly scheduled ATL-LAX 77LRs. The only BE equipped aircraft regularly scheduled ATL-LAX is the A332. The 777LR does run scheduled LAX-ATL, but not the other way.
Yikes, you're right. Got confused between ATL-LAX and LAX-ATL runs.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
Is it not possible to check in at the gate or in the Clubhouse?
Gate - yes - as with any airline. VS Clubhouse exists in TBIT not in T3. It looks like just the AS boardroom is in that terminal.

Won't DL give me the VA boarding pass in my origin city? Most airlines have given me boarding passes for my onward flights on other carriers (even if it wasn't a code share.)
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Gate - yes - as with any airline. VS Clubhouse exists in TBIT not in T3. It looks like just the AS boardroom is in that terminal.

Won't DL give me the VA boarding pass in my origin city? Most airlines have given me boarding passes for my onward flights on other carriers (even if it wasn't a code share.)
VS (Virgin Atlantic) uses T2 and doesn't have a Clubhouse at LAX. UpperClass pax use the NZ Koru Club there.

As for checking in for your VA flight airside or with DL in ATL, I'm not an authority on that, but I would've thought that even checking in at the gate for your VA flight would be an option.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: Happily off the elite hamster wheel
Sorry for rehashing an old thread. I am on a DL award ticket, and I am flying from MEX-LAX-BNE, with exMEX on AS and LAX-BNE on VA. I'm not really sure what terminals I would have access to since I'm arriving in TBIT and departing in T3. But I would have to collect my checked bags since I'm coming from an international flight.

Besides the VX loft, do I have access to any other lounges (ie. DL SC)? I just want to have access to a shower and real food besides almost fake cheese and crackers.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Spicy B
Sorry for rehashing an old thread. I am on a DL award ticket, and I am flying from MEX-LAX-BNE, with exMEX on AS and LAX-BNE on VA. I'm not really sure what terminals I would have access to since I'm arriving in TBIT and departing in T3. But I would have to collect my checked bags since I'm coming from an international flight.

Besides the VX loft, do I have access to any other lounges (ie. DL SC)? I just want to have access to a shower and real food besides almost fake cheese and crackers.
The new VX Loft is supposed to be really nice. I don't know about showers but their website indicates they have real food including sushi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.