Wiki Posts
Search

Gift Card choices?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, American, United
Gift Card choices?

I have been a memeber of NWA/DELTA's programs for almost 10 years now and have enjoyed all of the mileage reward activities of both airlines. As a missionary/evangelinst to Ukraine since 1994, the ability to fly free (except the service fees and taxes) has been a miracle in itlself. I have also had the distict privilege of referring friends and family members to both airlines (84 total) over the years and have seen these folks benefit with free travel as well. Recently, a situation has arisen with the Delta SkyMiles program that I am appalled at. My daughter presently has 61,891 SkyMiles in her account and wanted to use some of the miles to purchase various "Gift Cards" using a portion of these miles. (I paid for my 30th Wedding Anniversary (50,000 SkyMiles for hotel and restaurant) using this opportunity only two weeks prior to informing my daughter of this offer.) However, when we clicked on the "Use Miles" choice on the Delta website, and then the "SkyMiles Marketplace" tab, the choice for "Gift Cards" does not come up, as it did with my wife's account and several other folks I tried. I telephoned the Delta SkyMiles people and was told that this offer was only for select people!!! I sent three letters of complaint to Delta and my third reply was "we will not discuss this matter any further"! I do not understand why a person with 60,000+ miles in their account is not able to use the miles to purchase Gift Cards as an option. My daughter has had, over the years, well over 100,000 miles in her account. Today, the "Gift Cards" option is still unavailable to her. Is this a case of "Discrimination"?????, or just blatant stupidity on behalf of the Delta SkyMiles people in charge?????

Last edited by C.D. Gentry; Oct 21, 2010 at 6:27 am Reason: spell correction
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: DL Silver/1MM - EK Platinum - HH Gold
Welcome to FT!
May be gift cards are available for Medallions only?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:50 am

I think it may have something to do with whether you have the Amex card or not. Maybe it is either having some form of medallion status (some have referenced having Platinum or Diamond) or Amex - you might have to have one. The Amex option is the easiest - you can sign-up for the Gold card for under $100 a year (many times they waive the first year), plus, you get an additional 25,000 miles. Good luck using them!

Last edited by runfit; Oct 21, 2010 at 7:51 am Reason: changed wording
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:45 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

Welcome to FlyerTalk and I believe that your answer to this question has been accurately referred to in the above answers. Delta does have layers of privileges available to various members based on status.

I hope you don't mind that I edited your thread title as I think that some members might have misunderstand your use of the word "discrimination" in posting your question. I think we're on the right track now.

Again welcome and I think you'll find that this community can easily identify these types of account variations that lead to some head scratching as you surely have done.

I'm sure our members can also provide some ideas on how your daughter might be able to still make use of her miles for gift cards. While I know she could transfer the miles to your account for the purpose of redeeming for gift cards, that would involve some expenses. The simple solution seems that you redeem for gift cards form your account and the next time you need an actual award usage, have your daughter redeem her miles for you to use. A simple formation of a "family account."

Cheers.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm pretty certain that gift cards are only available for medallions, and I'm 100% certain that the rate at which you can redeem miles on Skymiles Marketplace varies according to medallion level and AMEX credit card use. If I look at Skymiles Marketplace without logging in, I get one set of prices and gift cards are not available at all. After I log in, the price in mileage drops about 50% and I have more options.

I wouldn't call this "discrimination" at all; I would call this simply an added benefit to those who do more business with Delta.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Priority Club Plat, HH Silver, Marriott, Hertz President's Circle, WN Rapid Rewards
The gift card option is open to Medallion members (I don't think the level matters, S, G, P, D). If you aren't medallion gift cards won't even show up as an option. The Amex card doesn't have any impact, it is the status level with Skymiles. Not sure why they went that direction with the gift cards; it would be nice to use some of my wife's miles for some. I am not sure if it is an option but maybe transfer the miles to the account with status and then order the gift cards?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:21 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
It's not discrimination because FF members are not a protected minority. Honestly! (exasperated) The way people throw the word discrimination around amazes me. From wiki: "Discrimination is a sociological term referring to the treatment taken toward or against a person of a certain group in consideration based solely on class or category."

Perhaps I should sue DL on discrimination charges because they gave an upgrade to someone who paid more for a ticket or flew more with DL than I. I am a SM member and so was the upgraded person. Clearly DL discriminated against me.

Also, I don't hold a Capitol One CC but they won't give me free tickets. Clearly this is discrimination based on me NOT being a customer of Capitol One. Call Al Sharpton.

[okay, sarcasm done]

Please think before you throw yourself into a category of people throughout history and today that have been denied employment, housing, medical services, etc due to bona fide discrimination. I've logged on to SMMP many times and never once did they ask me if was black, female, gay, or Jewish. (Okay, gay is not a protected minority but most will get the idea)

Delta offered this perk to customers that hold a DL-branded CC and Medallions. They did not discriminate against your daughter. I say "offered" instead of "offer" because this will soon be past tense according to the NY Times......

Marketplace gift cards will be available for all SM members.. according to NY Times

Perhaps DL saw your thread and took action. But I doubt it was for fear of civil right lawsuits.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:06 pm

I am not Medallion with Delta but I do have the Delta Gold Amex card. I have on two occasions in the past redeemed for Gift Cards and the Gift Card option in the Marketplace is currently available for me.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
My wife did not have the gift card option as a general member as of a few weeks ago. However, now as a Silver Medallion, she does have the option to redeem miles for gift cards.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by youngdlplat
I'm pretty certain that gift cards are only available for medallions, and I'm 100% certain that the rate at which you can redeem miles on Skymiles Marketplace varies according to medallion level and AMEX credit card use..
Aha! That explains a lot, actually thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.