Search

What is DL's strategy for LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL NWA UA
What is DL's strategy for LGA?

Recently I flew GRR-PWM via LGA. Mistake. Long delay, etc at LGA
Option 2 would have been GRR-DTW-PWM, but that flight must have been full or something because I picked the LGA routing based on price.

Can anyone figure out why DL seems to be INCREASING connections thru LGA? I picked up that some of my fellow passengers from GRR were connecting to other east coast cities in LGA as well.

I mean, really, why wouldn't they just increase the size of the planes flying out of DTW? It seems like LGA is always delay prone.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
My $0.02 is that I wonder if your experience may be less an issue of DL's strategy with LGA and more an issue of where GRR currently has non-stop flights. Of course there is always DTW, and you'll notice that most flight options use DTW as your connecting city. There is only one GRR-LGA non-stop flight daily. But even then LGA could act as a connecting city for places like PWM. As for whether DL is increasing connections at LGA, I don't think the GRR-LGA route is new. Not sure if LGA-PWM is new either? LGA CAN be delay-prone and I think that has more to do with the relatively low number of runways for all the traffic it services.

Last edited by cinnamon121; Oct 17, 2010 at 7:51 pm Reason: Edited to correct number of GRR-LGA flights
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
LGA-PWM exists to enhance Delta's non-stop choices from NYC, the country's largest O+D market. DL would be happy to fill it with high-paying passengers out of LGA (the airport with the highest percentage of O+D traffic of the major U.S. airports). To the extent DL can't fill seats with O+D, they can create connecting opportunities like GRR-DTW-PWM. I might pay more to avoid the LGA connection on the basis of on-time performance at the airport as a whole (especially late in the day, onto the last flight to my destination) but I wouldn't pay a lot more.

The PWM flights were among several moved from JFK. If one is capacity-constrained at JFK, what makes more money: an international widebody redeye, or a commuter jet to PWM?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta
Delta wants to "win" in NYC so they'll do anything to say they're the king.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL NWA UA
Yeah, I chalk it up to live and learn. I won't connect there again...
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
OTOH, it is a relatively small terminal and tight connections are very doable at LGA. Sure, they're doable at DTW too, but only if you're wearing running spikes

LGA-PWM is fairly new. Like LGA-BGR and a few others, they came about because of capacity reductions at JFK during the runway construction last year. I doubt they'll ever go back...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.