Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expiration of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JS
Let us know when you find a frequent flyer program with no expiration provision.
Northwest Airlines WorldPerks. As a matter of fact, you can earn WorldPerks miles on Delta flights.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:59 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by sipples
Northwest Airlines WorldPerks.
Nope. Not much different than DL SM.

If no mileage from any source is posted to a WorldPerks member's account for three consecutive years, the account is subject to termination, including forfeiture of all accrued mileage.

Taken from:
WorldPerks® Rules and Regulations
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I can't read this morning (re: WorldPerks expiration).
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
Yes, miles will expire and you can get them back!

Originally Posted by henwood
If anyone else was unfortunate enough to have their miles expire because they thought that the "Dash To The Gate" miles would extend the date of expiration, there is hope to get them back.
I thought that it would do it also, but was told that they are "bonus" miles, and not partner activity, which is what they say is the kind of activity to keep miles from expiring.
First call said no can do. Those are bonus miles and they are gone for good.
Second call to Delta got entire account reposted. It took them about 20 minutes to do it but it worked. Got back 24k for my daughter.

So the old rule of, "If you don't like what you hear the first time, say Thank you, hang up and call again", worked for me.

Thank you Flyer Talk for teaching me that. It does work.

As quoted here by myself, "Dash to the Gate" did not extend my daughters account. It posted in Dec. 2004, but miles expired in Jan. 2005.
I was able to get 24K miles back though with a call to Delta.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:48 pm

Make sure to update us on what happens! I'd like to know how Delta resolves it.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 3:22 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
I guess I'm confused then. If my Dash to the Gate was my only activity in December, 2004, and my new expiration date according to my online account is now December, 2007, wouldn't the Dash to the Gate miles be the cause of this? Are you saying that 12/07 might not be my "real" expiration date, that it might be based on an earlier qualifying activity? Am I not to trust the expiration date on the web site?
I think what Canarsie pointed out, and what I've seen as well, is that the first qualifying activity in a given year resets the expiration date to December 31 three years later. Did you fly Delta last year prior to the Dash to the Gate? If so, that probably accounts for you expiration date being set to December 31, 2007. (You originally mentioned that your expiration was Dec. 27, not Dec. 31. Was that a typo?) Check an old DL statement from earlier last year (if you get them) to see if that is the case.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:19 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
data point

For what it's worth, my husband and I did not have previous accounts with Delta, but we both signed up for Delta Sky Miles to play Dash to the Gate, we both got 10,000 miles, and we both now have expiration dates on our accounts of Dec. 31, 2007.

Make of this information what you will.

With Dash to the Gate combined with their offer of 12,500 miles the first time we use our Delta Sky Miles Amex...hmmm...looking good for some award travel on Delta in our future.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:01 pm

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
Update - groan!

Originally Posted by ANDREWCX
Here is my situation. I had 3500 orphaned skymiles (my main Skyteam account is Northwest) sitting in my account due to expire on Dec 31 2004. On Dec 27 I received 10,000 miles from delta from that online game competition so I thought 'hey I am fine, I have another 3 years'.... imagine my suprise when I checked back last week and discover that all 13500 miles were expired in Mid January! Needless to say I emailed Skymiles asking that they be reinstated but so far no response. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Well - I got a reply to my first email today (only 6 days to receive this gem too). I will quote for the comic effect:

==========================================

Dear ANDREWCX,

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

According to our records the SkyMiles number provided XXXXXXXXXX has
never generated any mileage. Please check to see if you are possible
holding two SkyMiles accounts.

To assist us in locating any other accounts listed for you, please
resubmit your request along with your current address and any previous
address that may be listed on your account. This will assist us in
locating your account number in our system.

We appreciate your interest in Delta Air Lines.

Sincerely,

(Name Provided)
Online Customer Support Desk
http://www.delta.com

==========================================

Now of course this appears to be a pathetic delaying tactic as I have never had more than one account and the number provided pulls up the record in question on delta.com (showing an existing balance, Dash to Gate miles on 27 Dec and Mileage Expiration on Jan 13) - all of which I pointed out in my reply I can view with that number on Delta.com.

I am really annoyed now. This started as a mild irritant since my Delta account is a distance 3rd place in my Skyteam roster behind Northwest and Continental so the miles are a 'nice to have' category. This bit of customer dis-service however is rapidly pushing it into a more annoyed state. The fact that it apparently took Delta 6 days to email back a delay message that shows they did not even look at the account is really annoying - and of course if they seriously thought I might have duplicate accounts they could have just looked it up in their system (since I had provided my full name and several components of my address together with all these details provided in my account number I provided). So I have fired back an email (with attached pdf of the delta.com record of my account) that is courteous but clearly communicates that they need to actually do something.

Of course I could have just gotten a bad CSR.... I await the response to my reply (no doubt in another week or so). I will let you all know what happens.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
My wife got all her miles back!

My wife had 23,000 miles, and played the Dash game for 10,000 miles, which were awarded on Dec. 27. On Jan. 11 her entire account was cleared out due to inactivity.

I wrote Delta a letter to the address on their website, and also faxed a copy to them, explaining that I thought the Dash promotion should count as activity. In addition, I pointed out that my wife had traveled with me twice on award travel, and may have traveled once under our married name (Her old passport and account still had her maiden name, although we've been married seven years.) As part of the letter I sent them our marriage license and asked them to change the name on the account.

Anyway, I checked her account and the full point balance was posted TODAY! And they've changed the account to her married name. So thank you Delta!
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Angry 10,000 ‘Dash to the Gate’ Delta bonus SkyMiles EXPIRED????

This is very interesting. I was about to have my Delta SkyMiles expire on December 31, 2004. I signed up for the 10,000 ‘Dash to the Gate’ Delta bonus SkyMiles promotion. The 10,000 ‘Dash to the Gate’ Delta bonus SkyMiles posted on December 27, 2004. When the 10,000 ‘Dash to the Gate’ Delta bonus SkyMiles posted I thought I was good to go for another three years. According to the below e-mail from Tiffany Covington, SkyMiles Customer Service Center, that is not the case:

Mr. Coddington, because your SkyMiles account reflects no qualifying activity for three years, all mileage expires. Bonus miles do not extend SkyMiles expiration date. Therefore, once the mileage expires, your bonus miles for Dash to the Gate expired as well.

Had I known this I would have transferred some of my SPG points to my Delta account.

Is this right about expiring Delta miles?

Can I do anything?

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you, Jim

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 2, 2005 at 6:29 pm Reason: This milepost (and the following three mileposts) were merged into this thread unedited.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
Mr. Coddington, because your SkyMiles account reflects no qualifying activity for three years, all mileage expires. Bonus miles do not extend SkyMiles expiration date. Therefore, once the mileage expires, your bonus miles for Dash to the Gate expired as well.
This is quite a contrary to what Official SkyMiles Helper said in a recent post:

The posting of the Dash to the Gate miles should have qualified as earning activity in your SkyMiles account. So sorry, this didn’t happen. Our technology folks will identify those customers who were affected by this and restore the expired miles back in these accounts. Please allow six to eight weeks for this error to be reconciled. It's not necessary to call Delta to identify yourself.
I'd write back and point out that discrepancy to the SkyMiles Customer Service Center.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:02 pm

I think OSH was acknowledging that they had messed this up. I'd give them the 6-8 weeks to fix the problem.

Although bonus miles don't normally count, I think they realized they had a quandry in that, theoretically at least, the miles of all the new people they signed up with this promotion were instantly invalid. (No qualifying activity in the prior 3 years.)
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Sirecca
I think OSH was acknowledging that they had messed this up. I'd give them the 6-8 weeks to fix the problem.

Although bonus miles don't normally count, I think they realized they had a quandry in that, theoretically at least, the miles of all the new people they signed up with this promotion were instantly invalid. (No qualifying activity in the prior 3 years.)
Bonus miles DO normally count to avoid expiration. That was kind of the problem. Before this, any activity at all extended the expiration.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
Bonus miles DO normally count to avoid expiration. That was kind of the problem. Before this, any activity at all extended the expiration.
Don't think so, but I'm open to being proven wrong. As far as I know, it's earn, redeem, or buy miles to extend expiration.

Per the Skymiles Terms & Conditions:

"Miles will not expire as long as you participate in one of the following activities at least once every three years:

-Earn miles for travel on a qualifying Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle®, SkyTeam, or other SkyMiles airline partner flight.

- Earn or redeem miles with one of the SkyMiles program partners including hotels, car rentals, Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, international credit card partners, Everyday Miles by Rewards Network, MilePoint.com, mortgage lenders, CAP magazine subscriptions, real estate, or telecommunications partners.

- Purchase miles at delta.com/buymiles or by calling the number on the back of your SkyMiles card.

- Redeem miles on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, a SkyTeam partner, or another SkyMiles airline partner (Redemption of previous program awards does not extend the mileage expiration date.)."
Old Mar 2, 2005, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Sirecca
Don't think so, but I'm open to being proven wrong. As far as I know, it's earn, redeem, or buy miles to extend expiration.

Per the Skymiles Terms & Conditions:

"Miles will not expire as long as you participate in one of the following activities at least once every three years:

-Earn miles for travel on a qualifying Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle®, SkyTeam, or other SkyMiles airline partner flight.

- Earn or redeem miles with one of the SkyMiles program partners including hotels, car rentals, Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express, international credit card partners, Everyday Miles by Rewards Network, MilePoint.com, mortgage lenders, CAP magazine subscriptions, real estate, or telecommunications partners.

- Purchase miles at delta.com/buymiles or by calling the number on the back of your SkyMiles card.

- Redeem miles on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, a SkyTeam partner, or another SkyMiles airline partner (Redemption of previous program awards does not extend the mileage expiration date.)."
I can't prove you wrong. There is nothing in those T/Cs to indicate. But I believe the general practice has been that it does extend expiration. There really aren't many bonus mile opportunities given that don't qualify in one of the other categories. If Hertz offers a special promo that gives you 50 miles extends expiration, you would think that a Delta promo woulde give the same opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.