Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expiration of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
As long as you have SOME activity, they won't expire. Sign up for Delta Dining miles, rent a cheap car, stay in a cheap hotel, etc, before 12/31/09 and they won't expire. If you buy something in the online Skymall, they also won't expire.

Good luck and safe travels!
Thanks for the suggestion. I signed up one of her cards for Skymiles and we had dinner out on 12/29 and saved her miles. Based on what I know about redeeming miles with Delta, she may never get to use them, but at least they are still in her account for another two years. Thanks again.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Dwcatty, this month one can transfer DL miles to another DL account & the receiver will get a 50% bonus, which (kind of) compensates for the normally-outrageous transfer fee.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:06 am

Reactivating 36k miles

I read various "reactivation posts" for the past 20 minutes. Most/all of them have said for people who have lost miles had been offered to pay to get them back.

I was no different, and was led to this webpage:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/manage...ndex.jsp?src=d

My situation is yesterday checking into my flight, I saw I had 0 miles- 4 days after the 2 year window! I was crediting the miles to DL so they would have been saved, too little too late.

For 36k- I guess $100 is ok- but I have been trying to use them for a Guatemala flight for about 8 months!

Has anyone received their miles back for free based on them having a booked flight (flight leaves today) and/or having them JUST expire?

If not, I guess I'll suck it up.. thought I'd see any recent experiences.

Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, SWA Rapid Rewards, Continental OnePass, US Airways
Angry Expired Miles - No notice from Delta

I got a quarterly SkyMile statement today and it showed zero points. The last time I looked I had over 54,000 points. I checked on-line and it indicated they expired in February. I haven't received any mail nor Email from Delta in months, maybe a couple of years. The rep told me she was surprised that there hadn't been any correspondence, but in checking with her technical people, they could tell in the system that nothing had be sent out. She then let me know that they don't routinely send out correspondence if you haven't had any activity, but I explained that the other airlines (AA, Cont., SWA, and US Airways) send me quarterly, if not monthly, updates so I always know the status of my points.

I explained in an Email the circumstances and that I felt they aren't following the common practices of their competitors, but the reply indicated I would have to pay to get them reinstated.

I'm still fighting with them because I feel that is poor customer service and unjust, but we'll see if they care. The phone rep I spoke to was VERY nice, but the Email rep was, while professional, VERY unconcerned and read me "the company line".
Old Jun 10, 2010, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Have you ever had a NW airlines FF account? If you do, and it had miles in it, it should have merged with your new account. If so, then it might save the miles. Also, if you had an flights that you didn't post, but could have been posted to DL, that might save the miles.

DL is quite customer unfriendly in many of the Skymiles policies. You have to evaluate if it's worth money to try and reinstate them. I know a few people who lost over 500k each.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AAdvantage, SWA Rapid Rewards, Continental OnePass, US Airways
Angry I begged - in so many words...

I got the brush off three times - each time they quoted the "company line" telling me how I could reinstate my points by paying the fee ("Fine" is more like it).

I explained that their competitors keep me up to date on a monthly or quarterly basis and I even supplied an example. They had previously explained that if you haven't had any activity on your account in the last quarter, they don't send you anything. That is stupid considering that it costs almost nothing to send out an Email since I'm in the system anyway. The only reason I got a quarterly statement in June is that my points had been zeroed out in late February - THAT was the activity.

$100 to reinstate points may be nothing to some people, but it matters to me, particularly when there were other less expensive ways (and some are free) to keep points active.

I know they have a lot of financial burdens/problems, but they are going to continue to push away customers in locations where they don't have a dominant presence, like DFW. They've certainly lost me.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by bdkern
I got the brush off three times - each time they quoted the "company line" telling me how I could reinstate my points by paying the fee ("Fine" is more like it).

I explained that their competitors keep me up to date on a monthly or quarterly basis and I even supplied an example. They had previously explained that if you haven't had any activity on your account in the last quarter, they don't send you anything. That is stupid considering that it costs almost nothing to send out an Email since I'm in the system anyway. The only reason I got a quarterly statement in June is that my points had been zeroed out in late February - THAT was the activity.

$100 to reinstate points may be nothing to some people, but it matters to me, particularly when there were other less expensive ways (and some are free) to keep points active.

I know they have a lot of financial burdens/problems, but they are going to continue to push away customers in locations where they don't have a dominant presence, like DFW. They've certainly lost me.
I certainly understand how you feel and know you really don't want to give DL another cent of your money, but make a good financial decision, not an emotional one.

If I am understanding your posts correctly, for $100, you can reinstate all of your miles. With those miles, you can get at least one domestic round-trip at low (25K) or mid-tier (40k). Or, you could at least go to skymiles marketplace and get gift certificates in amounts far greater than the $100 you will pay to reinstate over 50k SkyPesos. Again, I think they should reinstate since you were so close, but that is their call. Now, make a good business decision for YOU. Then, after you use those miles, get or start using an AA account.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:52 pm

Expiration of Miles

My father had approximately 140,000 Delta Skymiles. Over a three year period, he and my mother had a variety of health issues and their account was inactive. At the end of 36 months Delta deactivated his account and he lost all of the miles. Does he have any recourse or is he just out of luck?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Call Delta. They might offer to reinstate the miles.... for a fee. Be sitting down and have a nerve pill handy.

Miles expire after 12 months of inactivity. Being that it's been 36 months they might be SOL.

Good luck and report back.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:00 pm

Moving to the Delta forum.

Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.