CZ codeshare agreement with DL?

Old Oct 5, 10, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver Elite, EK Silver, CX Silver, A3*G
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.286 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

How come CZ doesn't codeshare with DL on TPAC flights? VN has only been in ST a few months and they already codeshare with DL out of NRT. DL now also has non stops into PEK and PVG but I don't see CZ codeshares. Any idea why? TPAC is a big market

Btw I posted the same question the ST thread so feel free to close one of them.
Old Oct 5, 10, 7:39 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
CZ operates a flight daily out of LAX with no stop service to CAN (Guangzhou-Baiyun, CZ's headquarter airport). Delta does code share with CZ on LAX-CAN. It is a long flight and does not get sold very well because CAN is too close to HKG. Delta's flights in and out of PEK are either very early in the morning (before 9:00am) or very late at night (after 10:00pm), which leaves no time for a connection within China. Therefore CZ is not very interested in doing code share with Delta on PEK route.

There are two airports in Shanghai area. SHA (Hongqiao) is a domestic airport like Tokyo NHD. CZ operates very limited amount of flights out of SHA because it is not one of its hubs. There is not CZ flight out of PVG so they don't code share with each other.
Old Oct 5, 10, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb View Post
CZ operates a flight daily out of LAX with no stop service to CAN (Guangzhou-Baiyun, CZ's headquarter airport). Delta does code share with CZ on LAX-CAN. It is a long flight and does not get sold very well because CAN is too close to HKG. Delta's flights in and out of PEK are either very early in the morning (before 9:00am) or very late at night (after 10:00pm), which leaves no time for a connection within China. Therefore CZ is not very interested in doing code share with Delta on PEK route.

There are two airports in Shanghai area. SHA (Hongqiao) is a domestic airport like Tokyo NHD. CZ operates very limited amount of flights out of SHA because it is not one of its hubs. There is not CZ flight out of PVG so they don't code share with each other.
SHA has flights to Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
Old Oct 6, 10, 6:33 am

YES but those flights are all to their domestic airports. HND also has flights to SHA and GMP. Non of the international flights out of SHA is operated by CZ
Old Oct 6, 10, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.286 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

DL's flight to PVG arrives at 18:25 and CZ has a flight departing frm PVG to CAN at 20:45. They offer a few other flights from PVG as well. What about NRT? Currently CZ arrives in NRT at 14:55 and most DL flights leave between 2-4pm. Why doesn't CZ adjust their schedule so they can allow passengers to connect? Same thing for the return, they depart at 4pm and most TPAC flights arrive after 4pm.
Old Oct 7, 10, 9:47 pm

I think it might be because CZ uses T2 at NRT and Delta uses T1. Event though there is a shuttle in between allows people to transit without clearing Japanese immigration, it is still somewhat limited. CZ flight out of PVG to CAN has never been bookable (at least i have never succeeded). Also CZ, CA, and MU are all state owned business. Chinese government does not always work the normal way.
Old Oct 8, 10, 10:49 am
Original Poster

PVG-CAN definatley bookable, I've flown it numerous times when I connect from DL's service from DTW.
Old Oct 10, 10, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Has anyone successfully gotten mileage credit AND MQMs from a CZ flight in economy? I am trying to book a flight from Guangzhou to Taipei (CAN-TPE) on China Southern, but they don't reveal the fair class on their website.

I tried calling them and they said they cannot give me the fare class for the flight until after I book, and there is no "refund within 24 hours" policies in case I book a fare class ineligible for MQM credit.

Discounted economy "M Class" on CZ only earns 40% mileage credit, but there seems to be a lot of class exclusions on the DL website.

(http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php)
Old Oct 10, 10, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt a lowly Platinum now
Originally Posted by rionio77 View Post
Has anyone successfully gotten mileage credit AND MQMs from a CZ flight in economy? I am trying to book a flight from Guangzhou to Taipei (CAN-TPE) on China Southern, but they don't reveal the fair class on their website.

I tried calling them and they said they cannot give me the fare class for the flight until after I book, and there is no "refund within 24 hours" policies in case I book a fare class ineligible for MQM credit.

Discounted economy "M Class" on CZ only earns 40% mileage credit, but there seems to be a lot of class exclusions on the DL website.

(http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php)
Yes, I have flown CZ for intra-Asian flights many times over the last few years, and they always post to DL fairly quickly. Often the economy one-ways (short flights) which I book go into Y and give the 50% MQM bonus, too. Maybe you can use ITA or expertflyer/KVS/etc to tell you what the letter fare class is that you're buying? That's how I do it.
Old Oct 10, 10, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt a lowly Platinum now
Looks like they discontinued the 50% bonus for Y, my mistake, spoke too soon. Anyway, using ITA to get the class will at least tell you what you will be getting, which would be just the 40% for M class now.
Old Oct 10, 10, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb View Post
There is not CZ flight out of PVG so they don't code share with each other.
There are actually plenty of CZ flights out of PVG. There's no PVG-PEK, though.
Old Oct 11, 10, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlies View Post
Yes, I have flown CZ for intra-Asian flights many times over the last few years, and they always post to DL fairly quickly. Often the economy one-ways (short flights) which I book go into Y and give the 50% MQM bonus, too. Maybe you can use ITA or expertflyer/KVS/etc to tell you what the letter fare class is that you're buying? That's how I do it.
Thanks a lot, JohnnyFlies! You saved me.

I just checked ITA and the flights from CAN to TPE are quoted for $398 or $431. All of these flights pretty much earn the M class fare (40%) miles one-way, and NO MILES (class exclusion) on the return.

I had a feeling that DL offered poor mileage credit with CZ by the fact that they offer all-time low 40% mileage credit on a discounted economy tickets (M Class). Mileage earning credit is at least 75% for all other Skyteam members. I guess just beware whenever booking a flight on CZ.

I for one, won't be flying on China Southern for a short 500 miles for very few, if any, MQMs. Laughable.
Old Oct 11, 10, 11:11 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by rionio77 View Post
I had a feeling that DL offered poor mileage credit with CZ by the fact that they offer all-time low 40% mileage credit on a discounted economy tickets (M Class). Mileage earning credit is at least 75% for all other Skyteam members. I guess just beware whenever booking a flight on CZ.
Not so, for A LOT of KE fare classes DL offers 0% miles. Other airlines, such as KE itself and its partners such as Alaska Air, offer 70%, where DL offers NONE.

Also, for some AF classes also DL offers no miles.

DL is generally worse in offering miles than other airlines: where the airline itself, and its other partners, offer xx% (not 100%), DL usually just offers none at all. So, count yourself lucky that with CZ DL offers 40% mileage credit, vs. 0% how it does with other airline 70% mileage credit levels and such. CZ is one positive exception where DL offers xx% vs it's usual NONE in such cases.
Old Oct 11, 10, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Not so, for A LOT of KE fare classes DL offers 0% miles. Other airlines, such as KE itself and its partners such as Alaska Air, offer 70%, where DL offers NONE.

Also, for some AF classes also DL offers no miles.

DL is generally worse in offering miles than other airlines: where the airline itself, and its other partners, offer xx% (not 100%), DL usually just offers none at all. So, count yourself lucky that with CZ DL offers 40% mileage credit, vs. 0% how it does with other airline 70% mileage credit levels and such. CZ is one positive exception where DL offers xx% vs it's usual NONE in such cases.
I agree with you that DL is pretty bad in offering miles. But I think of a lot of the KE flights with bad offerings are TPAC flights that DL competes on. I've flown KE several times this year (TPAC and within Asia) and non-DL eligible classes (like Q Class) were easy to come by on TPAC flights, but RARE on inter-Asia flights. So you've got a much better chance of accruing miles for Asia-only flights on KE.

It seems to be a bit worse with CZ flights within Asia. Agreed that 40% is better than 0%. But for a flight that's only 500 miles, I'd rather fly out of Hong Kong and get 100% miles from CI (with no MQMs until they join Skyteam) or take a CX flight and get AA miles.
Old Oct 12, 10, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by blug View Post
There are actually plenty of CZ flights out of PVG. There's no PVG-PEK, though.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Also, for internal flights within China, they're widely considered better for customer service than the other mainland Chinese airlines. I've has very good experiences, but all in business/first class.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: