Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another Partner Award Travel Question (Online)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:43 am
Original Poster

I am doing an advanced award seach for travel to Europe next summer. No low miles awards are showing up for Delta metal, but I can find some for partners.

However, I am getting some strange results. Ultimately we would like to do ATL-AMS-ATH with a stopover in AMS for a few nights.

I first did the following search using a multi-city selection.

6/15 - ATL/AMS on KLM (available)
6/19 - Nothing shows up for AMS to ATH (simply says no flights available for anything)

I then did the following:

6/15 - ATL/CDG on AF (available)
6/19 - CDG-ATH

For the 6/19 leg, there is a direct leg available on AF. However, I also see that there are flights that go from CDG-AMS-ATH. Clicking on this link gives me an award at 60K.

Now my question is when I do the first search where I want ATL-AMS-ATH, why do I not see the direct AMS-ATH route on that 6/19 day? Is this just one of the many quirks of the online booking engine, and I would need to call in to get this routing?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mattgoolsby
Now my question is when I do the first search where I want ATL-AMS-ATH, why do I not see the direct AMS-ATH route on that 6/19 day? Is this just one of the many quirks of the online booking engine, and I would need to call in to get this routing?
Yes, dullta.com is designed, it seems, on purpose to frustrate and to only provide an illusion of functionality - but little to no actual real usable features.

This is very typical and it wi;l often show in EU connecting flights (CDG to xxx via AMS or AMS to xxx via CDG), but not direct. Why? That only DL will know. I think it's just one of the 100s of bugs in its mission-critical reservations engine.

Suggest you search on www.aifrance.us and/or klm.com for your desired flights (that should show all the options), then call DL to book.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I have a suggestion. Try to search segments independently (not sure if you've already done this). I.e. try AMS-ATH separately. Apparently DL has some issues piecing itins together, but if the individual segments are there you can use the multi-city and/or search by schedule to piece them together yourself and it ultimately prices as low, if availability is there.

There are 2 limitations with my suggestion: (1) the entire itinerary has to be in the same cabin and (2) the calendar does not work for intra-EU flights. (I find both EF and KVS useless when it comes to KL award inventory. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.