Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Sky Magazine rejects ad from Scott eVest

Old Oct 3, 10, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM

Just got an email from Scott Jordon, founder of Scott eVest. Details here:

http://scottevest.posterous.com/my-o...-decision-to-r

It's rare trip that I don't have one of my SeV products with me -- everything goes in the coat/vest before security and it's great for carrying all my "crap" (camera, cell phones, batteries, etc.) after I get to my destination.

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Oct 3, 10 at 9:26 am Reason: typos
Old Oct 3, 10, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
Just got an email from Scott Jordon, founder of Scott eVest. Details here:

http://scottevest.posterous.com/my-o...-decision-to-r

It's rare trip that I don't have one of my SeV products with me -- everything goes in the coat/vest before security and it's great for carrying all my "crap" (camera, cell phones, batteries, etc.) after I get to my destination/
A big to DL.
Old Oct 3, 10, 9:28 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
First, how does this avoid baggage fees? You don't need to check the items in that picture.

Second, honestly the first thing I thought of looking at that, was seeing wires and thinking of a terrorist and a bomb.

Third, that is rather bulky and would hate to be sitting next to someone wearing that and taking up extra space.

Fourth, he is just pimping for more free publicity. Magazines turn down ads all the time, it is their magazine and it's up to them what content should be allowed in it.
Old Oct 3, 10, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, United GS, Hilton Diamond,
I think Scotty needs to get over himself.

His clothing is dreadful. Does he make fanny packs as well? How about water bottle coozies? I could really use one of those helmets that hold a couple beers and maybe a neck pillow that doubles as a hemorrhoid cushion.

Maybe Delta didn't want his garbage in their magazine, maybe he didn't meet the content requirements. Chances are if you asked the guys in charge of advertising about this, their response would be "who?".

The guy is right up there with the other conspiracy theorists here that believe Delta is changing planes and routes because they are out to get PMNW fliers.
Old Oct 3, 10, 9:48 am
Original Member

Delta isn't going to accept any ads which complain about baggage fees (particularly given SW's current emphasis on it in their ads). Scott's perceived martyrdom is, as stated before, nothing more than trying to milk more publicity out of the situation.

This is a huge NON-ISSUE.
Old Oct 3, 10, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DDCT View Post
Maybe Delta didn't want his garbage in their magazine, maybe he didn't meet the content requirements. Chances are if you asked the guys in charge of advertising about this, their response would be "who?"...
Oh, I think they know who Scott is by now. The story's getting great viral pickup plus 1 million + retweets. In the inevitable metanarrative, DL can't help being cast as the bad guy.

It's true that you can't avoid checking a bag by wearing a Scottevest. It's also true that the mainstream media sees baggage fees as a screw-the-public tactic, and this looks to them like DL protecting a sneaky revenue stream. (Also, in DL-World, only Amex is allowed to talk about bag fees as a nuisance... that can be avoided with the Amex card.)

It's a natural stand-up-for-the-little-guy story and I bet it gets jumped on.
Old Oct 3, 10, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Djlawman View Post
Delta isn't going to accept any ads which complain about baggage fees (particularly given SW's current emphasis on it in their ads). Scott's perceived martyrdom is, as stated before, nothing more than trying to milk more publicity out of the situation.

This is a huge NON-ISSUE.
+1

Similar vests are easy to get including some that are available from vendors at Delta's sky mall.

Bob H
Old Oct 3, 10, 10:49 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /LH /DL /SQ /TG /AA /QF
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Oh, I think they know who Scott is by now. The story's getting great viral pickup plus 1 million + retweets. In the inevitable metanarrative, DL can't help being cast as the bad guy.
If the shoe fits...

It's also true that the mainstream media sees baggage fees as a screw-the-public tactic...)
Well, it sorta is a screw-the-public tactic...and before anyone starts screaming that they like not being charged for baggage in a bundled ticket price...show us, please, where the prices were actually lowered when the bag fees were first charged. You can't? Oh, yeah, that's because the ticket prices weren't lowered. You just believed it when you were told that prices would come down when the fees started being attached.

BearX220, your statement about Amex. being the only one allowed to complain about baggage fees is right on the money (pun intended).

It's a natural stand-up-for-the-little-guy story and I bet it gets jumped on.
It's already happening. Irrespective of whether it's a "huge NON ISSUE."
Old Oct 3, 10, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Sky Magazine is a business supporting DL and they have every right to refuse business from whoever they wish. The eVest ad is an attempt to draw revenue from DL and toward the eVest product. LIke it or not the baggage fees are a significant source fo revenue for all alirlines (exceot WN) and are part of the reason why they are in the black again and not making more and more service cuts.

If DL were to allow the eVest ad they might as well have called up WN and asked if they wanted to run a "no bagge fees" ad in Sky Magainze as well.
Old Oct 3, 10, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula Super Plats
Originally Posted by DDCT View Post
I think Scotty needs to get over himself.

His clothing is dreadful. Does he make fanny packs as well? How about water bottle coozies? I could really use one of those helmets that hold a couple beers and maybe a neck pillow that doubles as a hemorrhoid cushion.

Maybe Delta didn't want his garbage in their magazine, maybe he didn't meet the content requirements. Chances are if you asked the guys in charge of advertising about this, their response would be "who?".

The guy is right up there with the other conspiracy theorists here that believe Delta is changing planes and routes because they are out to get PMNW fliers.
It's a few of you who need to get over yourselves. Scott received a lot of free publicity and likely is laughing all the way to the bank, without spending most of his advertising budget for the rest of the year.

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA View Post
First, how does this avoid baggage fees? You don't need to check the items in that picture.

Second, honestly the first thing I thought of looking at that, was seeing wires and thinking of a terrorist and a bomb.

Third, that is rather bulky and would hate to be sitting next to someone wearing that and taking up extra space.

Fourth, he is just pimping for more free publicity. Magazines turn down ads all the time, it is their magazine and it's up to them what content should be allowed in it.
He was willing to pay for the publicity in Delta's magazine, but most of us would agree that free is always better.

Delta's comeuppance will occur in due time as "Bags Fly Free" posters start appearing all over ATL & trains of baggage cards with "Bags Fly Free" signs are circling the planes.
Old Oct 3, 10, 11:32 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Scott Jordon is a shameless huckster for his products.

But +1 for Scott. Baggage fees suck. I'd like to see Ma and Pa Kettle being able to check their damn bags again.
Old Oct 3, 10, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM 1.764MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Yawn.

David
Old Oct 3, 10, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
Yawn.

David
I know, right? Another day, another example of Delta's commitment against its customers. It's kind of getting boring...
Old Oct 3, 10, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
I know, right? Another day, another example of Delta's commitment against its customers. It's kind of getting boring...
Yawn......
Old Oct 3, 10, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Well, it doesn't look good for DL, as usual. I don't own any of Scott's products, but have seen him interact in a very positive way here on FT.

I'm sure he'll get tons of free exposure, as he deserves to get. I'm all for such examples of sticking to the man.

Search this Thread