Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest v. Delta in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
I have done SW to ATL once. It was nice because coming from MSP the airport is MUCH easier on SW than Delta.
However, DELTA is way better because of the flight options. (times)
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by twoner32
I have done SW to ATL once. It was nice because coming from MSP the airport is MUCH easier on SW than Delta.
However, DELTA is way better because of the flight options. (times)
And how did you accomplish that feat?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
And how did you accomplish that feat?
I was wondering the same thing!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by thepla
I firmly believe if you are looking for a less expensive fare you need to go to a market serviced by WN. Once WN is there the majors will match the fare or do better. If you are flying to two cities where there are not any LCC bank on it that the fares will be high. With WN going to ATL it will hurt DL's bottom line.
Precisely -- once WN is in the mix & prices have dropped (the "Southwest effect"), they will charge has much as anyone else currently charges. Looking now at MSP-CHI & MSP-STL it's easy to claim that DL is as cheap (or expensive) as WN. For comparison you really need to roll back the clock a couple years to when NW/AA/UA had a tight grip on the market & wanted $400 for MSP-CHI & almost $600 for MSP-STL.

In the case of ATL, I doubt prices will drop much since DL & FL already compete head to head on many routes, at least not until the economy improves and capacity increases. The MSP-ATL tickets (DL) that I've bought the last couple years were pretty deeply discounted given the distance.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Sep 27, 2010 at 8:26 pm
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I can only speak about a friend of mine that lives in ATL and flies DL only. He claims that DL is quite expensive and drives to Birmingham all the time to get his fare reduced.

I firmly believe if you are looking for a less expensive fare you need to go to a market serviced by WN. Once WN is there the majors will match the fare or do better. If you are flying to two cities where there are not any LCC bank on it that the fares will be high. With WN going to ATL it will hurt DL's bottom line.
Air Tran is the LCC, not Southwest.

Air Tran has it's hub in ATL, not Southwest.

I also live in ATL and the flights out of Birmingham are more expensive now (years ago your post was correct).

If this goes though it will be bad for ATL flyers and good for DL's bottom line.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Air Tran is the LCC, not Southwest.

Air Tran has it's hub in ATL, not Southwest.

I also live in ATL and the flights out of Birmingham are more expensive now (years ago your post was correct).

If this goes though it will be bad for ATL flyers and good for DL's bottom line.
Whatever ....

I doubt ATL will be a consideration since WN does not now serve ATL. They are not consolidating the services of two current competitors at ATL.

It really depends on your perspective. From mine (MSP) WN is very much a LCC. My "normal" fares to CHI & STL have dropped 60% since the "Southwest effect" took place here, and sometimes when they have fare sales the savings is 80% in comparison to how we used to be gouged.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DLcoop1977
In my experience, Delta is the lower cost option more times than not.
+1 -- 9/10*
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Whatever ....

I doubt ATL will be a consideration since WN does not now serve ATL. They are not consolidating the services of two current competitors at ATL.

It really depends on your perspective. From mine (MSP) WN is very much a LCC. My "normal" fares to CHI & STL have dropped 60% since the "Southwest effect" took place here, and sometimes when they have fare sales the savings is 80% in comparison to how we used to be gouged.
Please explain how ATL is not a factor in a thread titled Southwest v. Delta in ATL?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Please explain how ATL is not a factor in a thread titled Southwest v. Delta in ATL?
When the merger is reviewed for anti-trust issues, they won't even blink at ATL, since WN currently has no operations in ATL. ATL will be a non-issue as far as the merger is concerned.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Whatever ....

It's a bit of give and take as far as the "Southwest Effect" goes. MSP saw a decrease in fares, as is your experience. BOS has seen nothing but fares increased since Southwest opened operations there. Complete coincidence.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
When the merger is reviewed for anti-trust issues, they won't even blink at ATL, since WN currently has no operations in ATL. ATL will be a non-issue as far as the merger is concerned.
Yep. Fares won't move at all in either direction (in ATL). The competition already exists.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by ssk1127
You can't buy first class when it doesn't exist. "Perks" on WN consist of extra peanuts, alcoholic drinks, and an early boarding card.
You also can't buy wifi when it doesn't exist. Nor PTV. All things DL has that WN does not.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion
ok friends, get this:

SWA is blah. I've stopped flying them since 2009 because they dont really take measures to ensure the ride is enjoyable. I've had so many problems with my ears popping/clogging during landings because SWA does not pressurize their cabins properly.

Oh, and read this (from CNN.com article):

"SWA is the creeping cancer of the air, old aircraft, shoddy maintenance, hidden fees. Bags fly free? Total lie. Right before the started that ad campaign, they raised their fares across the board to hide bag fees. You're now paying a bag fee on SWA even if you don't have a bag to check."

That is VERY true. I see that they charge like $271 for ONE-WAY ticket from LGA to LAX. Are you freakin' kidding me? $271?!?!!? how is that LOW cost? Obviously the baggage-fees are built-in so nobody thinks that they are being charged. it's a very clever business trick.

Also, let's play the mergers/acquisitions (who marries who) game:

Delta/Northwest
America West/US Airways
ValuJet ---> AirTran (rebranding)
Southwest/AirTran
United/Continental

and maybe in the next few years: American Airlines/US Airways.

This is not a good sign for consumers. People should not be applauding these mergers. Price competition will drop.

Also, the Dept of Justice needs to ramp it up with being more strict on these mergers. They really don't have the consumer in mind.

I am totally against the SWA/AirTran acquisition.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
It's even better to be in a market served by Southwest, AirTran, JetBlue, Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier and now Virgin America. ^

Originally Posted by SilverSpy57
Also, the Dept of Justice needs to ramp it up with being more strict on these mergers. They really don't have the consumer in mind.

I am totally against the SWA/AirTran acquisition.
Amen to that. What happened to putting a stop to "too big to fail"? Airlines are following the banking model. When the next crisis occurs DL and their giant ilk will line up to congress for a bailout and hold the threat of an economic meltdown over their heads unless they (congress) comes through.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: Delta FO
As for the bag fees, perhaps delta will eliminate/reduce them to match wn. I doubt delta would lower them systemwide, but it could be done on routes in direct competition with wn.

Keep in mind the network effects. Supposing fares/routes stay the same out of atl, travelers will be more attracted to wn than fl standing alone.

I'm hoping delta offers a sky miles promotion out of atl, ala the stl, bna, pit,...deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.