Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upcoming weather, can I preemptively rebook?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First

Supposed to fly STL-ATL-ABQ this Tuesday AM. However, looking at the weather there is a really good chance there are going to be some issues. At what point can I call Delta and rebook for Mon PM? I have some meetings all week on the left side of the country that I really can't miss.

STL is supposed to get 6-10 snow on top of some ice. STL has issues with any winter weather which is why I'm worried in the first place.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Junior Varsity
Supposed to fly STL-ATL-ABQ this Tuesday AM. However, looking at the weather there is a really good chance there are going to be some issues. At what point can I call Delta and rebook for Mon PM? I have some meetings all week on the left side of the country that I really can't miss.

STL is supposed to get 6-10 snow on top of some ice. STL has issues with any winter weather which is why I'm worried in the first place.
Not until a Weather Waiver is issued. Home page at DL.com is where you will see the announcement.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
avidflyer is correct. You can in fact rebook, but until a weather waiver is announced, you will pay the change fee. No way around it unless you originally bought a ticket that allows free changes.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
avidflyer is correct. You can in fact rebook, but until a weather waiver is announced, you will pay the change fee. No way around it unless you originally bought a ticket that allows free changes.
But one can often get those charges reversed after the weather waiver is issued. Best advice, do what you have to do to get where you have to be, and fight it out later!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I would anticipate a weather waiver coming out yet today for some markets.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
I've called in advance of a recent huge snowstorm in NYC and they booked me on an earlier flight with no change fee. I think I called about 36 hours before my flight.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Actually, Ask to Speak to a Supervisor

I have in the past gotten routing changes where severe weather is predicted, even though DL management has not issued a "bulletin" to the reservations staff.

The last time for this was my MR "originating" at PIT. I was supposed to go PIT-CVG-JFK-LHR in late September. A gigantic rainstorm hit the eastern seabord early that day, and rain and high winds were forecast for the JFK area in the evening. A helpful agent at the SLC center rerouted me to PIT-ATL-LGW, and I reached my hotel (which was near LHR) about the same time as I would have if there were no weather problems.

Prior to that, Mrs. ND76 and I were in Paris about a month earlier, when we learned about a general strike that was to take place on September 7, our scheduled departure date. As there was an excellent possibility that we would be unable to get from the 14eme arrondisement to CDG because of the lack of trains, buses and taxis, we persuaded a supervisor at the Diamond desk to reroute us out of BRU.

If you can stay calm and give the supervisor the details on the storm, there is an excellent possibility that you will get a reroute free of charge.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've had good luck in calling the elite line, explaining the situation, politely begging, and convincing them that it's in the airline's best interest not to have me stranded somewhere. This is as a NW PE (Chisholm) and DL DM (SLC). It doesn't hurt to try, but as a GM you might not get the same privileges.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:53 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Will they normally give Original Routing Credit for a voluntary reroute under a weather waiver? I'm flying Wednesday PIT/MSP/AMS/TXL. I'm worried that with the sleet that's predicted to come, the PIT/MSP CR2 flight might get goofed up, so I may opt for PIT/CDG/TXL.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:06 pm

Smile

Had numerous changes during last year's weather debacles DCA and ATL a couple of times. Although the "policy" is they won't change until the weather wavier is announced, if the first response is no; just be patient and keep calling. I had 100% success in the changes; however sometimes even that wasn't enough...when things go "south" the day of the flight. I rack it up to lessons learned. Two flights coming up in Feb SAN-DCA-SAN, so the fun begins again!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:00 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by davetravels
Will they normally give Original Routing Credit for a voluntary reroute under a weather waiver? I'm flying Wednesday PIT/MSP/AMS/TXL. I'm worried that with the sleet that's predicted to come, the PIT/MSP CR2 flight might get goofed up, so I may opt for PIT/CDG/TXL.
Bumping my question back up since the massive 20 state weather is now in place . . .
Has anyone had success at getting ORC when they have voluntarily changed their flights due to a weather waiver?

Thanx!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
It does'nt take a rocket scientist to issue a weather waiver. The pending storm has been all over the media. You would think people can make their own decisions and should be allowed to reschedule flights if bad weather is predicted and not have to wait for the airline to issue a waiver all the time.
This should be a general policy and not determined by the airline for very single weather event.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, American GLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
It does'nt take a rocket scientist to issue a weather waiver. The pending storm has been all over the media. You would think people can make their own decisions and should be allowed to reschedule flights if bad weather is predicted and not have to wait for the airline to issue a waiver all the time.
This should be a general policy and not determined by the airline for very single weather event.
I'm truly surprised this hasn't happened in impacted states/cities. Airtran and United released a slew of cities that would allow change earlier today.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:46 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pitbulllover
I'm truly surprised this hasn't happened in impacted states/cities. Airtran and United released a slew of cities that would allow change earlier today.
As did Delta - but they pretty much just listed every state from OK to WI and east.
https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...er11/index.jsp
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Huh? If not the airline, then who should determine it? It's their business on the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.