Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about canceled Delta Flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Question about canceled Delta Flight

I had a flight canceled out of DCA a few weeks ago because of maintenance. I needed to be in San Diego by a certain time so the gate agent rebooked me on an American flight through DFW.

I have not seen any mileage for this flight posted in my sky miles account. Is it a waist of time to request this? Does Delta normally offer mileage when rebooked on another airline because of a mechanical cancelation?

Also, on the same trip I had a total of 3 flights canceled and 2 flights delayed all because of mechanical, no weather issues. Should I spend time and write a letter to Delta for some kind of compensation? I received no compensation for any of the canceled flights and only a $50 voucher for the 5 hour delayed flight. I just don't know if writing a letter will do anything.

I was a Northwest Elite member for 6 years and I would like to push my business back to Delta but after this horrible trip I may rethink this decision.

Thanks, Eric

Last edited by FlyBDL; Sep 21, 2010 at 9:29 am
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Log in and use the Comments/Complaint us link at the top of Delta's home page. Under "Tell Us About Your Experience" select 'SkyMiles', 'Request Mileage Credit', 'Missing Flight' then 'Flight'. Enter in the required info and submit. Good luck.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by FlyBDL
I had a flight canceled out of DCA a few weeks ago because of maintenance....
Please post your experience at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...cellation.html
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I have not seen any mileage for this flight posted in my sky miles account. Is it a waist of time to request this? Does Delta normally offer mileage when rebooked on another airline because of a mechanical cancelation?
You're going to have to fax the BP from AA to Delta. DL shows you never boarded your flight...you have to prove to them that you actually got on the other AA flight and didn't just go home or something.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
You're going to have to fax the BP from AA to Delta. DL shows you never boarded your flight...you have to prove to them that you actually got on the other AA flight and didn't just go home or something.
No, you don't. Once the ticket has been pushed to AA, Delta doesn't care. The only place Delta has for an AA boarding pass is the trash can, although if you have no other substantiation of the disruption, it can provide some supporting evidence on its way to the circular file.

This is a "day of travel disruption", and you can request your original routing credit:

If you are rebooked on DL or a partner & your total mileage is greater, you might wish to let it slide. Sometimes you are rebooked in full F or Y & get bonus miles but fewer redeemable miles. Then you have to decide which is more important and request the original routing credit if that better meets your goals.

If you are rebooked on a non-partner (AA in this case) just request your original routing credit. When you are rebooked on a non-partner, you can also double-dip and credit those flights to the non-partner program or its partners. In the case of AA, you can credit those flights to AA or AS (Alaska).

When I enounter IROPS, at the next available opportunity I go to the airline's flight status page & print that flight's info to disk, and save any other supporting documentation I have (bump vouchers, new itins, etc.). Sometimes I've even used data from on-line flight tracking sites. These all get faxed in with my request for original routine credit.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
No, you don't. Once the ticket has been pushed to AA, Delta doesn't care. The only place Delta has for an AA boarding pass is the trash can, although if you have no other substantiation of the disruption, it can provide some supporting evidence on its way to the circular file.

This is a "day of travel disruption", and you can request your original routing credit:
To receive Sky Miles for a day of travel disruption, DL has always requested me to fax my BP from the other airline, along with the original DL ticket number to obtain the miles for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.