Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Customer Care makes things right on IDB and mishandled VDB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by hockeystl
The assumption of a sense of entitlement runs strong on FT.

My expectation was an acknowledgment of error on DL's part and an explanation of how/why the series of events occurred. Of course I admit that I've now become accustomed to the usual range of 3750-10000 SM (for IRROPS or other customer issues) so, yes, I guess my expectation was in that range. $600 was extremely above and beyond and that's why I started this thread...To compliment DL on their recent change of going the extra mile to exceed customer expectations. All the nasty skeptics and DL haters, pls exit stage left.
whoa, whoa just a minute. Whos being nasty? just because some of us, who are entitled to our opnions, have commented against the well being of your post, that makes us nasty skeptics and DL haters? So, your saying because we dont agree with your delimna, we are wrong? sheeeesh, nothing could be further from the truth.

I gave you my opinion based on the facts you provided in your OP. If you dont like it, thats fine but dont accuse me of being a skeptic and a hater.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
To be clear, what is the error:

1) Removing you from the flight. (I would definitely agree.)

2) Picking somebody else for the VDB. (I would disagree. If the coach FA was able to walk up with the coach passenger at the same time you were volunteering, the coach passenger probably got his/her hand up first. In any case, it's GA discretion and I wouldn't blame him/her for being human and not wanting to offload you from a flight that you just got reloaded on.)

I am also curious as to what was wrong with the GA's behavior. You said he shook his head, gave you a bit of a look, and said he had his volunteer. Sounds like he treated you with respect at the gate, and perhaps had a flash of exasperation at your wanting to get back off of the plane. They guy is human, working hard, and maybe deserves a bit of a break.

It's nice they gave you $600 in vouchers. That seems like a lot to me, but you didn't demand that so I can't imagine where the entitlement comments are coming from.

I've gotten less or nothing for worse things. Maybe things have changed. I just sent in a couple of complaints and will see what happens. One of the complaints is why was I have been twice told I can't be confirmed on two flights when other folks (like you) are being confirmed on two flights. That's not right, and I am not happy. Should be interesting.

Take care,
David
I agree with your analysis of the actual situation. Nonetheless...

...that's why I started this thread...To compliment DL on their recent change of going the extra mile to exceed customer expectations. All the nasty skeptics and DL haters, pls exit stage left.
I also understand the OPs point, which was to COMPLIMENT Delta on handling the situation beyond his expectations. The bottom line is that, regardless of whether the OP acted properly or had reasonable expectations (red herring), Delta exceeded those expectations, which is the hallmark of good service.

My own assessment of the recent DL situation is that VERY often you hear more stories such as this one -- of DL going above-and-beyond to respond to customer complaints and provide more-than-necessary compensation. While that is admirable, what has NOT changed (or perhaps increased) in my view is how often I have to report service issues in the first place. I'd much rather they get it right the first time than be in a position to make up for it well.

I get that $@#T happens, and there will ALWAYS be gaffs, but what bothers me in the steadily increasing occurance of them (in my experience).

Back to the OP -- thanks for sharing your POSITIVE impressions. We need more of that here these days!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
whoa, whoa just a minute. Whos being nasty? just because some of us, who are entitled to our opnions, have commented against the well being of your post, that makes us nasty skeptics and DL haters? So, your saying because we dont agree with your delimna, we are wrong? sheeeesh, nothing could be further from the truth.

I gave you my opinion based on the facts you provided in your OP. If you dont like it, thats fine but dont accuse me of being a skeptic and a hater.
Per my post above... I think the issue is that the OP's point, as I understood it, was not to get feedback on the situation or HIS handling of it, but to COMPLIMENT Delta for exceeding his expectations.

All of the comments regarding the situation and HIS actions, then, seem off-topic, though I understand we may all have opinions on it.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Just to make myself clear, I think what Delta did in giving the $600 delta bucks is bad customer relations. Its just way to much for to little of an inconvenience/infraction. That, is my opinion.

My gut reaction to the OP's situation is not to reflect negatively against him, but actually against Delta. My apologies if the OP took my posts the wrong way.

Now lets say, whats gonna happen when something equally, or just as worse happens to the OP (or someone else) and they get far less compensation?

imho, Delta is setting the bar way to high.

Delta is setting themselves up for dozens of future negative FT threads on, "I only got 'XYZ' from Delta for far worse events then the OPs.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Aug 17, 2010 at 12:58 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
At least you were placed back on the flight. Playing dumb definitely was to your advantage here/
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Now lets say, whats gonna happen when something equally, or just as worse happens to the OP (or someone else) and they get far less compensation?

Delta is setting themselves up for dozens of future negative FT threads on, "I only got 'XYZ' from Delta for far worse events then the OPs.
Let me repeat. I am 100% clear that what DL offered me far exceeded anything I would've guessed and that's why I started this thread...to COMPLIMENT DL on going above and beyond.

I am lucky to have the ear of someone pretty far up the DL food chain. I am smart enough not to abuse that relationship by making silly complaints or ridiculous requests for compensation. I simply laid out the facts to him (again, without requesting so much as ONE SKY MILE) and he passed on my comments to one of his subordinates.

I'm smart enough not to throw this $600 back in their face on a future issue that I know I'll experience soon enough (hey, it's air travel!). I've been treated more than fair since I made DM and I do not plan on abusing my status by playing the DYKWIA card.

Anyway...back on point. Thanks to DL and I hope others experience this superior level of guest service that they've been offering in recent months. They PO'd a lot of exNW Plat Elites (I was in that group) but I honestly believe that DL is working hard to rebuild their reputation and to live up to the "Best in Class" touting that we've heard the past couple years (Again...let's not go there on SM. We all know the issues and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the 2011 DM bennies).
Old Aug 17, 2010, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Just to make myself clear, I think what Delta did in giving the $600 delta bucks is bad customer relations. Its just way to much for to little of an inconvenience/infraction. That, is my opinion.

My gut reaction to the OP's situation is not to reflect negatively against him, but actually against Delta. My apologies if the OP took my posts the wrong way.

The OP (from what it seems) is an incredible high value customer to Delta as a corporation.

One of the major benefits of the DL-NW merger was that the new airline retained NW's excellent customer value database. When push comes to shove, it makes it incredibly easy for employees to see how valuable a customer is and allows agents to make decisions based on that - ie, a DM with a score at the top (often by purchasing full fares) will likely get more done for them than a DM with a low score (from a lot of L/U/T fares). Not all elites are created equal.

I'll give an example I mentioned the other day to someone that posts on this board. Who is a more valuable customer?

Customer A - Gold Medallion, flies weekly on the Delta Shuttle, 55k MQMs/yr, only purchases full Y fares that come out to $500 r/t
Customer B - Platinum Medallion, flies weekly on transcons on L/U/T fares, 90k MQMs/yr, spend around $200-250/wk.

Which is the more valuable customer to Delta's bottom line? I'd say Customer A (and in this example, I am customer B while a relative is Customer A...).
Old Aug 17, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Tough crowd here. Now I'm remembering why I used to go several months between posts.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I am lucky to have the ear of someone pretty far up the DL food chain. I am smart enough not to abuse that relationship by making silly complaints or ridiculous requests for compensation. I simply laid out the facts to him (again, without requesting so much as ONE SKY MILE) and he passed on my comments to one of his subordinates.
Fair enough, but if your experience is mostly due to your particular contact, then it may not be indicative of any general customer service trend.

Had you just reported this through delta.com, it would be more encouraging. But it's a data point, so maybe I'm just being pessimistic. Or jealous since I can't get double booked even with two flights undergoing IROPS thrashing.

Tough crowd here. Now I'm remembering why I used to go several months between posts.
We just hate that Mom likes you best.

Thank you,
David

Last edited by DiverDave; Aug 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mersk862
The OP (from what it seems) is an incredible high value customer to Delta as a corporation.

One of the major benefits of the DL-NW merger was that the new airline retained NW's excellent customer value database. When push comes to shove, it makes it incredibly easy for employees to see how valuable a customer is and allows agents to make decisions based on that - ie, a DM with a score at the top (often by purchasing full fares) will likely get more done for them than a DM with a low score (from a lot of L/U/T fares). Not all elites are created equal.
This is the OP's title to the thread:

So, based on what you wrote, maybe the OP's title should be amended to read,

'DL Customer Care makes things right on IDB and mishandled VDB - for high valued, ex NW customers.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I'll clarify yet again for those who continue to read waaaaay too much into this post.

1) This thread was started to compliment DL on the way they handled the situation.

2) My primary beef was getting offloaded with ample time in ATL -and- with a confirmed seat. The gate agent did not offload me but I did NOT know this at the time I was at the gate and the agent did NOT state whether they were responsible for yanking me. The only comment was "we didn't think you were going to make it." Which was hogwash when my cxn time NEVER got under 50 minutes. I sent the feedback so that this situation could be followed up on so it doesnt happen to myself (or another pax) again with the responsible employee. Like I said in my OP, I still arrived home on time....and I was NOT expecting (nor did I request) compensation for this aggravation.

3) Re: VDB situation. I was not certain of the priority of taking VDBs when I sent my feedback. I've only taken a handful since I've been top tier and I assumed there was a pecking order (my mistake, I admit!). The DL Mgr clarified that it's essentially 'first some, first serve'. Ok, no problem. Even with FCFS in mind, the FC FA notified the GA that I was volunteering before the Y FA notified the GA. The GA looked at me, then the Y pax, about a second later, and made his silent decision. Was the Y pax up before I was? Ya, that would seem to make sense. My issue was that the GA clearly identified me as the pax whom he had to put back on and, while I'm a decent poker player, I can't read his mind...but it would seem he didn't want to deal with me again so he made his choice. Again, I'll give my seat away for $600 DD but I'm not giving it away for free! Why is that considered bad tact?

Anyway.... again, the point of the thread was to compliment DL. It was not for me to spend the afternoon defending myself for those who A) Think I have some silent motivation to scam DL by misrepresenting facts AND/OR B) Some god-like sense of entitlement. If you think either is accurate then you can send me a PM and we can discuss it.

And if a mod wants to just make this entire thread go away, by all means please do.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Ok, I'll clarify yet again for those who continue to read waaaaay too much into this post.

1) This thread was started to compliment DL on the way they handled the situation.

2) My primary beef was getting offloaded with ample time in ATL -and- with a confirmed seat. The gate agent did not offload me but I did NOT know this at the time I was at the gate and the agent did NOT state whether they were responsible for yanking me. The only comment was "we didn't think you were going to make it." Which was hogwash when my cxn time NEVER got under 50 minutes. I sent the feedback so that this situation could be followed up on so it doesnt happen to myself (or another pax) again with the responsible employee. Like I said in my OP, I still arrived home on time....and I was NOT expecting (nor did I request) compensation for this aggravation.

3) Re: VDB situation. I was not certain of the priority of taking VDBs when I sent my feedback. I've only taken a handful since I've been top tier and I assumed there was a pecking order (my mistake, I admit!). The DL Mgr clarified that it's essentially 'first some, first serve'. Ok, no problem. Even with FCFS in mind, the FC FA notified the GA that I was volunteering before the Y FA notified the GA. The GA looked at me, then the Y pax, about a second later, and made his silent decision. Was the Y pax up before I was? Ya, that would seem to make sense. My issue was that the GA clearly identified me as the pax whom he had to put back on and, while I'm a decent poker player, I can't read his mind...but it would seem he didn't want to deal with me again so he made his choice. Again, I'll give my seat away for $600 DD but I'm not giving it away for free! Why is that considered bad tact?

Anyway.... again, the point of the thread was to compliment DL. It was not for me to spend the afternoon defending myself for those who A) Think I have some silent motivation to scam DL by misrepresenting facts AND/OR B) Some god-like sense of entitlement. If you think either is accurate then you can send me a PM and we can discuss it.

And if a mod wants to just make this entire thread go away, by all means please do.
I understand that you're complimenting Delta on the $600.00 you got. However, after reading and understanding more of the facts, I am led to believe that due to your affiliation with this senior delta rep and the fact of your previous history as an ex-nwa elite, led to this more then generous gift.

I'm a DM to and buy a lot of M fares and the ocassional J fare. However, I dont know anyone at Delta and if I have a complaint I write using the website. I seriously doubt I would have gotten anything, and if I did, it would be some skymiles.

yes, delta took very good care of you, but in my opinion, it was way overboard.

Do you understand my point? Whats good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Aug 17, 2010 at 6:07 pm
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I agree with frege5, I don't think you should have received any comp at all. You created a lot of extra work for the GA. I have to side with the GA on this.
+1

to the OP
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I agree with frege5, I don't think you should have received any comp at all. You created a lot of extra work for the GA. I have to side with the GA on this.
Come on guys, let's not go overboard.

OP wanted to be on the flight he should have been on. We cannot quarrel with or question that. That's what needed to be done. This GA may not have been the one that offloaded OP, but he should have been on the flight and the GA fixed that. Somebody created a lot of extra work for the GA, but it was NOT the OP.

Now some are questioning whether OP should have then asked for the VDB. Again - come on guys, this is FT where we are always trying to get something more. Folks complain because they didn't get rebooked into Y class on an SDC, and thereby didn't get extra MQMs and miles. For $600 in Delta Dollars, how many of us really would have sat there and not volunteered?

Maybe OP got some special treatment due to his high level contact, maybe he didn't. I'll hope that this is a trend in our favor.

Just don't get me started on trying to book some award tickets this afternoon, and all the "green" days turning out to be medium and higher.

Cheers,
David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.