Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by kakipp
Has anyone had any luck recently finding award availability on nonstop LAX-SYD flights on Virgin Australia? All of the nonstops that appear in the online search are on Delta and cost 175k miles for a one-way business class seat. About a month ago, I was able to find seats on VA for 80k one-way.

(FYI, I'm looking for next November, which isn't available yet…so for now I'm searching in September since that's the latest available, just to see what my options are.)
VA availability was enhanced away back in August. You still may get lucky and see 2-3 days per month with availability...but basically that well dried up a few months back. There used to be like 9 seats available almost every day to SYD and BNE in J!
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM .5mm
I am trying to book a LAX-SYD trip in BE on Virgin Aus and use DL miles. Is this possible? I am looking in Oct of 2016 so it should be far enough out to get a low fare.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by rdrink25
I am trying to book a LAX-SYD trip in BE on Virgin Aus and use DL miles. Is this possible? I am looking in Oct of 2016 so it should be far enough out to get a low fare.
No, it is not. See above
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM .5mm
Is it not possible to get rewards for $160k in BE? Without spending an extra 10hrs on a flight for no reason?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:32 pm

Is it not possible to get rewards for $160k in BE? Without spending an extra 10hrs on a flight for no reason?
No it is not. I mean, we have all seen a handful of random days pop up here and there...but nothing that I have found useful. In August, Availability went from 99% of flights having 9 seats available...to 99% of VA flights having 0 seats available.

It is just one of DL's 100's of "enhancements" over the past two years to make SkyPeso's worthless.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
anyone else having trouble pulling up VA options for anything Nov/Dec 2016 on the DL site? Will only list their DL flights and KE/MU thru asia. Did I miss something? VA avail still viewable online?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by pgh234
No it is not. I mean, we have all seen a handful of random days pop up here and there...but nothing that I have found useful. In August, Availability went from 99% of flights having 9 seats available...to 99% of VA flights having 0 seats available.

It is just one of DL's 100's of "enhancements" over the past two years to make SkyPeso's worthless.
Doesn't seem like Virgin makes them available to it's Velocity members either these days
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by mrkymark
anyone else having trouble pulling up VA options for anything Nov/Dec 2016 on the DL site? Will only list their DL flights and KE/MU thru asia. Did I miss something? VA avail still viewable online?
I would guess, based on my experiences and the discussions on the most recent page in this thread, that the issue you're running into simply that VA is not releasing space or at least not releasing it to partners. You can use their website to check what they're offering to Velocity members for a point of reference. You might also check what VA space you can find on one of their other partners' websites although I have no idea who they partner with (since they aren't in an alliance) or which of those airlines display VA space online.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Oh man so sad.

Should have just gone to Oz this Xmas and New Years, total bummer and boo on VA and DL!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Looks like the lowest price for US-Australia is going up to 95k each way effective for flights on/after Oct 1. Further discussion in this link. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...d-pricing.html
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
I've booked DCA-LAX-SYD on DL for 95k miles in business.

I was informed that if you see VA awards on DL.com then it is a low-tier award. That's 40k miles in business if booked individually.

So, say I wanted to also go from SYD-BNE or SYD-CHC or another NZ city on VA at the end of that itinerary.... should it not also price out at 95k miles (plus tax/fee) if the VA segments are available? The agent I spoke to yesterday said no, but from all of my other award booking experience, if low-tier exists, it should be able to be added if it falls within the rules.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL prices origin/destination using married segments. You can no longer simply put different flights together and always get the lowest price.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL prices origin/destination using married segments. You can no longer simply put different flights together and always get the lowest price.
ok thank you for the explanation. when did that take effect? a while ago?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mrredskin
ok thank you for the explanation. when did that take effect? a while ago?
Late 2014. It leaked out early as the SkyMiles 2015 changes were being implemented.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.