Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Expert Flyer sure does make searching VA Awards easier!

Anyone figure out how many DL miles are required for VA's other routes? JNB specifically
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Expert Flyer sure does make searching VA Awards easier!
Shuuuush! As soon as Robertson sees this thread and workaround for under 1/2 million SkyPeso awards to SYD it's gonna be gone.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Shuuuush! As soon as Robertson sees this thread and workaround for under 1/2 million SkyPeso awards to SYD it's gonna be gone.
I'm with you 100%. Lets delete all of this
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:15 pm

I'm starting to see that DL does not always have access to VA Z class awards even when they show as available on KVS or EF. Say the week of Oct 24th-31st, all flights from SYD to LAX show 4 seats available in Z yet DL does not see any. On the brighter side, they have no problem finding seats from MEL. Has anyone managed to corner this yet?

UPDATE: I am not sure that this whole thread is correct. I've been trying all day and none of the Delta agents can find any Z Class seats the whole October from SYD or MEL. My reservation which was booked into Z from MEL-LAX-MEL was mysteriously changed to F overnight. Has anyone manged to get a Z Booking using their DL miles?

Last edited by damaxer91; Aug 23, 2010 at 6:35 am Reason: UPDATE
Old Aug 26, 2010, 8:46 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Exclamation

Unfortunately folks, damaxer91 is correct. After being alerted by a subscriber that something wasn't right, a few phone calls and velocityrewards.com.au website searches later, we have found that VA doesn't at all publish F/P/Z inventory into any GDS. What we're seeing can best be described as "ghost" classes.

On EF, this will manifest itself as showing F4 P4 Z4 all the time due to the way we search for the classes. On FlightStats (the website KVS gets its data from for the FS method), it will manifest itself as both false negatives and false positives totally at random. For example on FlightStats 08-Nov from MEL-LAX (to see VA 1 SYD-LAX) doesn't show Z class, however on velocityrewards there is availability. Conversely on 12-Nov MEL-LAX (to see VA 7 BNE-LAX) shows Z4 when velocityrewards says there is no Z availability on VA7.

Sorry folks, wish I had better news.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
Is there any update on this? Has anyone figured out how to search availability for VA award using SkyMiles?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by youngbru
Is there any update on this? Has anyone figured out how to search availability for VA award using SkyMiles?
Yes, I've been doing quite a lot of research on the matter and it seems that the award availablity on www.velocityrewards.com will be the same as what Delta can offer you. Often, the agent will mistakenly book it into F (Economy Class) even after you tell them that you need Z (Business Class). Make sure to stay on the line with then until after you have recieved the E-Ticket to confirm that it is in fact a Z class ticket
Old Sep 5, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
Yes, I've been doing quite a lot of research on the matter and it seems that the award availablity on www.velocityrewards.com will be the same as what Delta can offer you. Often, the agent will mistakenly book it into F (Economy Class) even after you tell them that you need Z (Business Class). Make sure to stay on the line with then until after you have recieved the E-Ticket to confirm that it is in fact a Z class ticket
It looks like you have to be a member to search for award availability and that you have to be from Australia, New Zealand or select Pacific Islands to join. Any suggestions on how a US resident might be able to search?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by youngbru
It looks like you have to be a member to search for award availability and that you have to be from Australia, New Zealand or select Pacific Islands to join. Any suggestions on how a US resident might be able to search?
Enroll and put in an Australian address. I put in the Hilton address. If you have a good sense of humor, put down the address of VA's corporate HQ.

- Pat
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I'm assuming I need "Reward" inventory and not "Any Seat"? It's showing about 194K Velocity points for a business class LAX-SYD round trip.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by yngdiego
I'm assuming I need "Reward" inventory and not "Any Seat"? It's showing about 194K Velocity points for a business class LAX-SYD round trip.
That is correct
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:38 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Based on my experience: There you go. ....burn 450k miles in one day for 3 business class tickets.
Actually 600k miles for 4 and taxes AND Wiirachay if I see you at the Chicago DO or at a DC DO, we can add the cost of a few beers in your honor to it as well. I have been using my DL miles at a rate faster than my AA miles! 3 MM in less than 6 months. Anybody who can't use their skypesos, in the future, if we ever get a 100% transfer bonus, send 'em to me.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
are these pricing out at 150k per ticket round trip like the low bucket on DL?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by ianturner
are these pricing out at 150k per ticket round trip like the low bucket on DL?
yes
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:22 am

I just tried and no luck. I went and picked flights out first that I saw had the avail. I thought I had gotten lucky. Confirmed it was for 150k. I get the confirmation, and they have charged my card 9000. I call back and have that voided, and try again. They still can't see the seats. Most of the agents don't even know who V is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.