Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Website to launch early am 8-10-2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Website to launch early am 8-10-2010

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by ianturner
I like the old website better...I like being able to see how many miles I have without clicking on the tab
The new front page is easy on the eyes, but less functional for sure.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BobH
+1

I took a quick look at it and would like to know where the "improvements" are, particularly when my base line is nwa.com.

Except for the opening screen, everything else seemed about the same.

Just wonder if new web page to those who under stand IT is a new website to them??? when what's really needed is a new website.

Don't even ask if I'm not surprised.

<lol>
Bob H
I do work in the it industry and therefore can offer a little perspective. On a major project i worked on of scope similar to delta.com, we separated out the "marketing site" with information about our product from the applications that let you interact with our company. If I were tasked with rebuilding delta.com, I would choose a phased rollout similar to what they have done here... First deploying the new look and feel on the marketing site where its lowest risk, and then doing a phased rollout of improvements to the various applications.

Delta.com is probably more of a collection of apps than you realize - flight status, irops rebooking, mobile, revenue booking, award booking could easily be each separate teams and codebases. It makes sense to set the new look and feel and then migrate to new releases of each sub application as you get the chance.

Just to offer some perspective - what I see today impresses me and I am definitely looking forward to the upgrades to the rest of the site. Redoing an entire airline website is a difficult challenge and the delta IT team has finally earned some of my respect for a clean, sane redesign of their site... I look forward to them seeing the project through to completion.

Just my $0.02
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
One cool new feature of Delta.com homepage..."recent searches". There is now a drop-down next to the To/From search fields that shows your recent searches. Click one of those and Delta.com pre-fills in the data you last used (to/from/dates). Nice one. ^

-RM
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by foofiter
I work in IT and I must say that rolling out any part of a new site before it is 100% completed is a bad idea from a UI standpoint.
I also work in IT and I must say that rolling out any large system on a flag day instead of in a phased manner is a bad idea from a stability standpoint.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
One cool new feature of Delta.com homepage..."recent searches". There is now a drop-down next to the To/From search fields that shows your recent searches. Click one of those and Delta.com pre-fills in the data you last used (to/from/dates). Nice one.
Was just going to comment on this. I've used it several times today already ^ It's also been backported to the advanced booking page.

Overall, not much to pass judgment on yet.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
... And yes, the site redesign will include updates to the ticket purchase and the often requested award calendar portions of the site.
I suspect that many here would ask, why are you putting priority on the glitz and glamor, rather than repairing the basic functionality (or dis-functionality) issues such as the award calendar?

How much longer do we have to wait for a substantive repair of the award calendar?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
One cool new feature of Delta.com homepage..."recent searches". There is now a drop-down next to the To/From search fields that shows your recent searches. Click one of those and Delta.com pre-fills in the data you last used (to/from/dates). Nice one. ^

-RM
+1
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by BenA
Just to offer some perspective - what I see today impresses me and I am definitely looking forward to the upgrades to the rest of the site. Redoing an entire airline website is a difficult challenge and the delta IT team has finally earned some of my respect for a clean, sane redesign of their site... I look forward to them seeing the project through to completion.

Just my $0.02
+1

and that's the point in time when they should call it the "new" website, they ain't there yet.

Parts of the current site remain user hostile.

Bob H
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:12 pm

Slow and not as functional. I HATE IT WITH PASSION.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
I pretty much never post here, nor check threads here anymore. But, interesting to see how many CRITICS have FO as their affiliation.

Whatever. Maybe it's dealing with LGA TAs and GAs the last three weeks that has me feeling a bit rankled.

Anyhoo, the new homepage sure is perrrty. Otherwise, I can't find anything that's not the old dl.com. This is what y'all have been working on 'behind the scenes' all this time? Really? Damn. Care to hire me as a project manager?

Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:32 pm

I do work in the it industry and therefore can offer a little perspective. On a major project i worked on of scope similar to delta.com, we separated out the "marketing site" with information about our product from the applications that let you interact with our company. If I were tasked with rebuilding delta.com, I would choose a phased rollout similar to what they have done here... First deploying the new look and feel on the marketing site where its lowest risk, and then doing a phased rollout of improvements to the various applications.

Delta.com is probably more of a collection of apps than you realize - flight status, irops rebooking, mobile, revenue booking, award booking could easily be each separate teams and codebases. It makes sense to set the new look and feel and then migrate to new releases of each sub application as you get the chance.

Just my $0.02

+1
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Also, I wanted to throw a shout out to the actual interaction design of the new homepage. Just for fun, go check out the other legacy web sites - CO, UA, US, AA... all of them are jumbled messes of four or five forms for divergent tasks, mixed together with ads and news. They're certainly functional for frequent travelers, but if you have never used the site before I think they all drown you in a lot of information.

The new delta.com homepage gives you a great first experience - splitting it into tabs for booking, flight status, checkin, skymiles, and future reservations means you aren't confronted with a bunch of complexity you don't need.

When you compare the new Delta site's visual design to, say, the AA site (which I think is the worst offender of the existing legacies), I think it's a huge improvement and I appreciate the effort that went into understanding why people visit delta.com.

#include "nowfixtheawardcalendar.h"
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I suspect that many here would ask, why are you putting priority on the glitz and glamor, rather than repairing the basic functionality (or dis-functionality) issues such as the award calendar?
Also, I wanted to throw a shout out to the actual interaction design of the new homepage. Just for fun, go check out the other legacy web sites - CO, UA, US, AA... all of them are jumbled messes of four or five forms for divergent tasks, mixed together with ads and news. They're certainly functional for frequent travelers, but if you have never used the site before I think they all drown you in a lot of information.

The new delta.com homepage gives you a great first experience - splitting it into tabs for booking, flight status, checkin, skymiles, and future reservations means you aren't confronted with a bunch of complexity you don't need.

When you compare the new Delta site's visual design to, say, the AA site (which I think is the worst offender of the existing legacies), I think it's a huge improvement and I appreciate the effort that went into understanding why people visit delta.com.
DL still appears to view its web site as a marketing vehicle rather than as a customer service tool. 90% of the home page real estate is a big ad. All of the real functionality is hidden. WN, CO, AA all have sites that are more useful as tools for the customer. nwa.com in its day was great in that regard. They have key functionality right on the home page.

I don't think people visit delta.com to view big ads. They come to the web site for a purpose and are ill served when they are made to pass by an ad to get to it.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:53 pm

#include "nowfixtheawardcalendar.h"
AA website is simply horrible, it takes mulitple clicks to get anywhere.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

-RM
I agree with that item, dl gets one well done there.

I HATE the main graphics though. This needs to be a FUNCTIONAL website and pretty pictures just distract from that.

Can't comment on the SM dashboard, as it doesn't seam to exist for me.

Regardless, the issue is (one would assume) the core technology. New GUIs will not change anything.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver
This is the worst "launch" of a new website I've ever seen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.