Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anybody on Delta flt 11 (ATL to MCO) yesterday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Damn thing was an absolute oven as no ground air and sat for a long while at the gate (in ATL) fully loaded waiting for flight crew. Was disgustingly hot (and I normally don't complain about hot/cold cabins).

They finally got a maintenance guy to come up and turn on some air. I can understand cabins being warm/hot during the summer time, but they need to make sure that a jet isn't allowed to sit like that with no air while full up with passengers.

FA's weren't very happy about the situation either.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
My last 2 flights out of PHX have had the identical problem, except instead of 97 degrees and humid its 115 with no clouds, beating on the metal tube Im seated in. Thats hot.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
I have seen it or more flights this summer than ever before. Sometimes there are excuses like "We are trying to get it back on" but it seems to me they are just shutting it down, often until runway taxi.

Either the a/c on DL aircraft is failing all over or there is a bean counter decision to minimze a/c use. Not sure which it is.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
there is a bean counter decision to minimze a/c use. Not sure which it is.
This, sir, has been my thought for a long time and I believe is the key. (agree, have seen it lots this summer).
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P
Originally Posted by DLATL777
This, sir, has been my thought for a long time and I believe is the key. (agree, have seen it lots this summer).
Though FA banter is far from the source of all truth and knowledge, the FA seated in the 2R jumpseat on my 757 from RDU-ATL last week mentioned this very thing. Without being prompted she went on a small rant about how the pilots have been instructed to leave the ground air off and that they're called on the carpet when they do turn it on of their own accord. She went on to ask all of us seated in the exit row so send notes to Delta about how uncomfortable the experience was. Again, I take a lot of this with a grain of salt, but..
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
How is this anything new? Ever since the fuel price spike several years ago, it seems the MO went to eliminating the use of the APU until right before push-back, and running to the runway on one engine.

Jetway A/C units have their work cut out for them when it comes to cooling off a 'heavy', especially in ATL in August....
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:30 pm

Pilots for months have been getting constant reminders to not run the APU's while on the ground to conserve fuel. Of course the next sentence says something about taking care of out customers and use your best judgment. Apparently not every gate in ATL or some other hubs/out stations don't have air hook-ups. I've sat on several planes in ATL this summer sweating up a storm as well...
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N522US
Pilots for months have been getting constant reminders to not run the APU's while on the ground to conserve fuel. Of course the next sentence says something about taking care of out customers and use your best judgment. Apparently not every gate in ATL or some other hubs/out stations don't have air hook-ups. I've sat on several planes in ATL this summer sweating up a storm as well...
This was out of gate E33 if I remember correctly, so don't know if they have ground air hookups or air carts (in the military, we had these nice, huge ground air carts to cool the electronics on the E-3 Sentry so that the systems wouldn't burn up when running on the ground. Tow 'em into place and fire 'em up (ran on diesel). Maybe I should start a collection...)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Diamond; HH - Diamond; Priority Club - Platinum;
Same thing on Flt 2280 - ATL to JAX on August 9th - Gate A10 - it was sweltering in the aircraft and the FA's were constantly reminding the passengers to keep the shades down to keep the aircraft "cool"

What will it take - some one passing out due to heat exhaustion before the bean counters wake up - I bet a law suit settlement will be more expensive compared to the amount saved.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
That's it! I am going to start carrying a thermometer in my carry on. That way I know when it goes from truly annoying to down right dangerous- at which point I speak up.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:27 am

Same experience on our ewr-mem, mem-bhm legs on Sunday in a crj. In fact, the FA announced everyone sitting near a window to pull the visor down so the aircraft will not be as hot for the next group of passengers!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rlsrlj
Same experience on our ewr-mem, mem-bhm legs on Sunday in a crj. In fact, the FA announced everyone sitting near a window to pull the visor down so the aircraft will not be as hot for the next group of passengers!
The sunshade request isn't uncommon (and was made on the flight), and helps some. However, if left to long to sit in the sun, with no supplemental cooling, it still can get ridiculously hot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.