AMEX Companion cert + SDC

Old Jul 27, 10, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
AMEX Companion cert + SDC

Has anyone used AMEX companion cert and tried to do SDC? I didn't see anything in the T&C regarding it.

Also, it only said both passangers have to be booked on the same flight. Can we get on separate flights if one of us do SDC?
Old Jul 27, 10, 9:32 pm
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta FO (I use to be More)
If I read this right no

Primary Ticket and Companion ticket are not transferable once issued.
Old Jul 28, 10, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Haven't tried that so I'm not sure. I know you can SDC both people to other flights no problem... no idea if you try to fly seperately. I'd think that you would have to split the PNR first so it appears as two seperate reservations if you want to try.
Old Jul 28, 10, 11:33 am

You can SDC. However, you may have to pay the change fee for any passenger not GM or higher.

DL will not split the itinerary for any reason any more. They used to do it, for example to allow a better upgrade opportunity for the more senior medallion on the itinerary.

With these certs, both pax have to travel together. A split was never permitted to allow them to travel separately.

"Non transferrable" means that the cert cannot be used by someone other than the person in whose name it was originally issued.
Old Jul 28, 10, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Forgive me for my ignorance but what does "SDC" mean?
Old Jul 28, 10, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by byeargin1 View Post
Forgive me for my ignorance but what does "SDC" mean?
Same Day Confirmed.

Medallion privilege which allows one to make a change to a different flight (earlier or later) on the same day you were originally scheduled to fly. Must make the request not earlier than three hours before the scheduled departure of the desired flight. GM, PM, DM pay no fee. FO pays a $50 fee.
Old Aug 25, 10, 8:59 am

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
not sure there's a clear answer here yet... as a PM if i try to SDC myself and my companion (no status) is it free + free or free + $50? anyone have experience with this?
Old Aug 25, 10, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should be free + $50 for the companion.
Old Aug 25, 10, 10:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
It should be free + $50 for the companion.
I can confirm - did this about 2 months ago and it was just $50 for the non-status companion. However, last year I did the same and it was free thanks to a nice SC agent
Old Oct 10, 11, 5:50 pm

Any recent experiences? I am DM and wife is PM. Want to SDC to get upgraded and possibly get miles for companion ticket. Tried to split PNR and was told by Diamond line that ticket states no upgrade.
Old Oct 10, 11, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes you can do SDC with the companion cert, and it will be free for both of you due to status. I did this recently.
As for the upgrade part, yeah sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't... extremely annoying and unfortunate that DL is still blocking upgrades on companion certs especially when both pax are elites.
Old Oct 10, 11, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by tinnub View Post
Any recent experiences? I am DM and wife is PM. Want to SDC to get upgraded and possibly get miles for companion ticket. Tried to split PNR and was told by Diamond line that ticket states no upgrade.
My wife is GM and I am PM but DL would not give us the upgrade to 1st, on either leg of the travel.

Even FO's got upgraded but we were told by the GA that the terms of the amex cert states no upgrade.

So not suprized that you were not offered an upgrade!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: