Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flight delayed to wait for a trash can???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight delayed to wait for a trash can???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Madinat
are the trashcans specially built for that model aircraft? why not just take on off another flight for the time being? 45 minutes is ridiculous. you may as well just let them bring it since you invested the 45 min already!
You make a very good point.

I was on another flight where the caterers had taken cart from the forward galley. We couldn't leave without a cart. It was going to take over an hour to get the cart back, so we had the GA go get a used cart off another plane (same a/c type) a couple of gates over so we could leave. The GA then contacted catering to cancel our cart and get a replacement to the plane that we had taken the cart from.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamuelS
Is this for real? Let's just throw someones lifetime career, huge personal investment, and huge company investment in training out of the window for what is at most a slightly bad judgement call (notwithstanding any number of unknown things that may have been in play).
They're just playing off some outlandish posts on other threads. Inside humor.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:32 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I was on a flight that was delayed 4 hours because of a broken seat bracket. I had already been delayed 4 hours and then this. It resulted in me and most of the other passengers missing their connections. It would have been less expensive to bump the 3 people sitting in that seat section - one of whom was a non-rev (he identified the issue) and depart on time, fixing the problem later. But noooooo..... we had to sit (except the 3 people in the broken seat section) on the plane for 4 hours while 4 mechanics banged away and ran and got parts and then banged away again (I swear they were using wrenches as hammers). The seat was not dangerous if empty, but the broken bracket was discovered when the weight on one end was greater than the weight on the other, resulting in the light end lifting up a little.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:01 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NWAFA
An example. Though smoking is no longer allowed on planes, an ashtray built into the lav door on a plane I was working was missing. We could not leave until the ashtray was replaced.
I do find the lav ashtray one to be one of the strangest FARs, but it makes a bit of sense. Your statement isn't entirely true, as the a/c may be able to fly with unserviceable ashtrays depending on the number of lavs and the how long they've been unserviceable (nothing's ever simple with the FAA, of course). Generally, MMELs say that where there's a single lav, you can fly for three days with an inoperative ashtray. If there are multiple lavs together, and at least one has a functioning ashtray, you can fly for 10 days with a broken ashtray (the 10-day bit is oddly missing from the 744 MMEL, and potentially others, but is in most MMELs).
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond/MM
One that is getting too common is because they do not have enough seatbelt extenders. I remember that being a reason once in the last 5 years, but now twice already this year.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jeppsenbr
One that is getting too common is because they do not have enough seatbelt extenders. I remember that being a reason once in the last 5 years, but now twice already this year.
I haven't flow enough to see if this is actually true, but since I started noticing, it seems newer aircraft have longer seat belts.

Trash cans are part of the weight and balance of the aircraft as well. I thought most aircraft would use plastic bags for the trash. Just pick up the entire bag, replace it, and leave the entire can. Wonder why they took it.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by DLNYC
He should be written up. The GA, too.
lol....but, remember, the pilot did help out with boarding.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
... Wonder why they took it.
It was taken by a GA working the flight at the next gate in order to replace THAT aircraft's missing trash can and get it out on time.

The truth is, DL has been short 1 trash can for a long time now.

Probably a PMNW can.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta GM and all the magic that comes with it
Originally Posted by exwannabe
It was taken by a GA working the flight at the next gate in order to replace THAT aircraft's missing trash can and get it out on time.

The truth is, DL has been short 1 trash can for a long time now.

Probably a PMNW can.
Surely, THIS is the truth!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N639DL

If anyone here deserves to get written up, its whoever is responsible for taking the trash can and therefore delaying the flight.
I bet they were brown and had funny headdress. It was a dry-run for the new air travel terrorism - infiltrate the cleaning crews and wreak massive havoc on the air system with trash can misappropriation.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jeppsenbr
I wonder if they refigure the fuel required to get there if the stock number of seatbelt extenders is exceeded....

I'm also tremendously surprised DL hasn't figured out how to put a fuel surcharge on seatbelt extenders yet.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:38 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by WackyD
Surely, THIS is the truth!
I'm sick of everyone bashing PMNW trash cans! We all know PMNW and PMDL all had trash cans of varying missingness!

Let's all just celebrate TNDL trash cans and put this behind us.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NWAFA
I'm just going to throw this out there. An a/c cannot leave without all of ships equipment.

An example. Though smoking is no longer allowed on planes, an ashtray built into the lav door on a plane I was working was missing. We could not leave until the ashtray was replaced.

The understanding is, there is a reason for everything on the plane. The plane cannot take off until everything is in place.
My understanding is that the ashtray is on the MEL because, even though smoking is prohibited on the planes, there needs to be somewhere safe to put out a cigarette should someone actually light up on board.

For the garbage can, assuming we're talking about a cart in the galley, generally all "slots" in the galley are required to be filled. This is mostly to prevent the carts from sliding around and one potentially getting loose. If this is the case I'm a bit surprised that they did choose to fly without it.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by swinster
Thats a good one. I had a strange one recently also. DL 1522 MKE-DTW was delayed on 7/19 because they were missing some safety cards in the seat backs. Are people taking the safety cards home now?
Isn't it a criminal offence to take the safety cards?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Isn't it a criminal offence to take the safety cards?
Yes, but like many rules and laws in this country it is absolutely impossible to enforce.

Unfortunately, the airlines can get fined big $$$ for missing safety cards. I remember a few years ago AA was fined a 6 digit figure for flying an aircraft that had missing safety cards for many flights.

This is why most of the time there are a lot of spare cards on the aircraft. When a flight attendent finds one missing many times they just replace it themselves.

Last edited by Brick; Jul 22, 2010 at 3:26 pm Reason: Corrected typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.