Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL 747-400: PTVs/AVOD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

DL 747-400: PTVs/AVOD?

I'm scheduled to fly DTW > NGO > MNL in November. The aircraft is a 747-400. Do they have PTVs/AVOD? I think these are old Northwest planes, which would mean they wouldn't have them. But I've heard Delta has been working on upgrading a lot of their dated aircrafts.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:32 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by adakat
I'm scheduled to fly DTW > NGO > MNL in November. The aircraft is a 747-400. Do they have PTVs/AVOD? I think these are old Northwest planes, which would mean they wouldn't have them. But I've heard Delta has been working on upgrading a lot of their dated aircrafts.
No PTVs or AVOD yet - but they will be installing it at some point in the future. Can't remember the exact time frame though.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adakat
They are the old NW metal. I took one in JAN and never again. In Asia on DL I only select 777s and 330s.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL FO
BusinessElite: AVOD
Coach: Overhead projectors
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
They are scheduled to be getting AVOD. I don't know the information about when they will be getting it. It is a possibility that you could have it, but there are no gurantees.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
In BE AVOD but a very limited selection
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by N639DL
They are scheduled to be getting AVOD. I don't know the information about when they will be getting it. It is a possibility that you could have it, but there are no gurantees.
I don't exactly know when mods are supposed to begin, however, the mods should be completed by 2012.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by lakid
The selection is as limited as the rest of the Delta fleet, except the 777-200LR.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lakid
Really? That's interesting, as the selection that I'd found on PMNW aircraft had been better than on the PMDL aircraft by far. Wonder why yours was so limited? Or has DL cut the stuff that used to be available?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Delta 764
I don't exactly know when mods are supposed to begin, however, the mods should be completed by 2012.
That is what I heard. I imagine it would begin probably late August/early September, meaning by November, there would probably be only 1 aircraft having it.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:49 pm
k2

Originally Posted by GBadger
Really? That's interesting, as the selection that I'd found on PMNW aircraft had been better than on the PMDL aircraft by far. Wonder why yours was so limited? Or has DL cut the stuff that used to be available?
I've found the PMDL aircraft do have a better selection of movies and tv. On PMNW aircraft it's worse than it was before DL took over; it used to be that every month there would be a significant update in all categories, not so much anymore. Ignoring selection, the PMDL system is a much nicer user experience.

RE: 744 updates, don't hold your breath - if you want a competitive coach experience TPAC you should book the 777LR, 330, or a different airline.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheMoose
The selection is as limited as the rest of the Delta fleet, except the 777-200LR.
That is because the PMDL fleet (minus 77L) with AVOD is equipped with the Panasonic eFX system, which has a fewer capacity over the eX2 system the 77L fleet is equipped with. I don't know about the capacity of the Panasonic 3000i system the PMNW long haul fleet (A330, 744 [BE only]) currently has.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by n710dn
That is because the PMDL fleet (minus 77L) with AVOD is equipped with the Panasonic eFX system, which has a fewer capacity over the eX2 system the 77L fleet is equipped with. I don't know about the capacity of the Panasonic 3000i system the PMNW long haul fleet (A330, 744 [BE only]) currently has.
I wouldn't actually be surprised if the 3000i system is replaced by the eX2 when upgraded, since eX2 weighs about 30% less.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/2 MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Does this mean DL will install PTVs on some B744 soon?

from E-Mail Extra last week

All Delta flights between the United States and Haneda will operate using 403-seat Boeing 747-400 aircraft. These aircraft feature 65 seats in BusinessElite and 338 seats in Economy. Customers on all Haneda flights will have the opportunity to experience Delta's award-winning BusinessElite service, including innovative food offerings from celebrity chef Michelle Bernstein and original wine selections chosen by Delta's Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson. BusinessElite also features on-demand personal in-seat entertainment boasting more than 20 first-run and popular classic movies, a variety of TV programs, music titles and a suite of video games.

As previously announced, Delta will invest $1 billion, or about $300 million per year, through mid-2013 to improve the customer experience in the air and on the ground. The product investment includes installing full flat-bed seats in BusinessElite on approximately 90 trans-Ocean aircraft and adding in-seat audio and video on demand in Economy Class on widebody aircraft that do not feature this service today. The 747-400 fleet flying to Haneda will receive both enhancements.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by n710dn
Here's a quote from AviationToday.com comparing the eX2 and the Panasonic 3000i system as EK has it configured -- the article is a bit dated, but these IFE systems have been around for awhile.

Link to Full Articke

Originally Posted by AviationToday.com
Emirates currently uses the Panasonic 3000i IFE system, which provides more than 600 channels of what the airline calls ICE, for Information, Communications and Entertainment.

"As we look around the world, we want to provide more entertainment choices for some of the niches and also some of the particular cultures, such as more Chinese films, more German films, more South American films and so forth," said Patrick Brannelly, Emirates vice president of passenger communications and visual systems..

"We need to have more media storage, as the current servers are full. The eX2 provides that extra storage," he said.
FWIW, EK has 600 channels of audio/video on the Panasonic 3000i --- 150 are movies, 192 TV shows, and more than 40 games -- plus it's all "on-demand"

To provide a better hard product, DL really needs to get AVOD/PTV's on the 763ER & the 744 from nose to tail.

I do like the IFE system DL has on the 772LR, the eX2 from what I gather? It had a quite a good selection, but I've been on some other carriers using (what I presume was) the eX2 that had a lot more movie/content selections.. or it at least had the appearance of offering more.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.