Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta vs BA for LON-ATL/TPA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by allergictocoach
There were no dedicated FA's...just the same ones serving Y pushing the cart right down the aisle at meal time. Meal time that came with a very Y looking tray of chicken and another sandwich toss 90min out.
Y meals, Y service, Y drinks are all part of WT+, and they don't market anything to the contrary.

I haven't been on VS PE - only Upper. It looked a hell of a lot nicer (seats and service) than what I got on my WT+ flight to TPA so I'll encourage the OP to check into that option.
Aside from a few seat hardness issues, I've heard much the same thing. VS PE > WT+ (but then other things like miles/alliances, lounges, flights-per-day etc need to be factored in).
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:30 am

So do people pay 2k + RT to experience what basically amounts to sitting in extra legroom seats with Y service? Maybe to be able to upgrade to J for the 12.5k miles?

22 of the 24 seats in the 3 rows of WT+ were filled and it actually felt quite cramped. When I went to the tail of the plane to use the loo I noticed a lot of open seats in Y that didn't look much worse than where I was seated.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Delta forum saxmankartik!

I would opt for a nonstop over connecting anytime. However, I do prefer DL over (the poor service of BA, as mentioned in FT) BA.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Originally Posted by littlemissknowitall
I'm not a business traveller, but I do make frequent travels to London over several years. I live in Cincinnati so I also know Delta very well. I would take BA over Delta in a heartbeat! The service is SO much better, the seats more comfortable, the offerings more plentiful, the food is better...we always check BA first for flights home. If it is within $100-$200 of the price of Delta, we will spend more for it. And I'm pretty well known for being cheap with the money--but for the difference in comfort, it is well worth it!
Same here. I go to London 3-4x a year (from ORD) and I'll almost always take BA over any US carrier (flying Y or Y+). Sometimes, that even means flying through JFK or IAD, but it's usually only $100 or so more for BA and, IMO, worth it.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 2:54 pm
Suspended

DL vs. BA

Originally Posted by saxmankartik
All,

Please forgive me if I've broken any rules - this is my first forum post.

I'm a Silver on Delta with 50+ segments and 40K+ miles. I currently live in ATL and am about to book about 4-5 return flights during the next 3 months between LON and TPA/ATL for work. I'm trying to decide between Delta and BA for these flights.

I will be living in the UK starting next year and so status (Gold or Platinum) won't do me much good and I don't believe Delta offers upgrades on these flights. Not sure if I can get anything else out of Delta (extra year of status for when I return?)

BA offers premium economy (my company won't pay for business class) and does offer a direct flight to TPA.

Any suggetions on which arline to pick?

Thanks!
Cannot imagine flying an airline that is always on strike. Fly DL metal.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Defiantly BA over DL.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Cannot imagine flying an airline that is always on strike. Fly DL metal.
Always on strike? During the last strike, all flights to/ from ATL were operated, and if there is another strike, 100% of long-haul flights will be operated. The strike is a non-issue.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
If you were flying J, then DL would have it all the way with their new lie flats (I really don't like the BA J class where every other seat faces backward).

In Y/Y+, I would give the nod to BA for the Y+, direct flight, and the free booze.
My wife and I love the WBC seats on BA's 777--in fact the whole set-up in that cabin. I guess to each his/her own.

Regarding the cabin the OP is planning to fly in, I can't comment on the seating difference, but I will say that we find BA's Terminal 5 at LHR to be top notch, and a nice place to be at while waiting to board your flight, or connecting through.

The negative for BA is the ongoing threat of cabin-crew strikes. Although our flights were not affected, we flew during one of the strike periods (June 1st) from ATL to LHR, connecting on to ARN. Although it worked, it was stressful not knowing what was going to happen until a week or two before the flight. They need to get that settled.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 15, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
So do people pay 2k + RT to experience what basically amounts to sitting in extra legroom seats with Y service? Maybe to be able to upgrade to J for the 12.5k miles?

22 of the 24 seats in the 3 rows of WT+ were filled and it actually felt quite cramped. When I went to the tail of the plane to use the loo I noticed a lot of open seats in Y that didn't look much worse than where I was seated.
Yeah, they do. I've never seen WT+ higher than $1900, but that's from IAD/NYC. The upgrade at 12500 miles certainly is a factor, plus the whole 'if your company doesn't pay for business but will pay for premium economy" component (which was my scenario).

Yes, Y seats if you have a vacant seat next to you are pretty comparable - but that's always a gamble. I like WT+ seating, seat pitch, the amenity bag (stupid, I know, but their pens are great ), and the option of MFU'ing to CW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.