Courtesy phones at DTW and ATL??

Old Jul 19, 10, 1:39 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: BTR
Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Posts: 1,810
Courtesy phones at DTW and ATL??

To make a long story short, wife is traveling home tomorrow, cell phone is broken with no immediate replacement store nearby. She has layovers in DTW and ATL and wanted to call just to notify that she made her flights and was still on time to BTR.

Are there still courtesy phones in the airports? Or hell do pay phones even exist?

She has skype on her laptop but if she's got a tight connection, that might not give her enough time to logon and call.
lsugolfer is offline  
Old Jul 19, 10, 1:53 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DTW/FNT
Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Posts: 4,773
Originally Posted by lsugolfer View Post
To make a long story short, wife is traveling home tomorrow, cell phone is broken with no immediate replacement store nearby. She has layovers in DTW and ATL and wanted to call just to notify that she made her flights and was still on time to BTR.

Are there still courtesy phones in the airports? Or hell do pay phones even exist?

She has skype on her laptop but if she's got a tight connection, that might not give her enough time to logon and call.
Best bet would be for you to follow her flight status on delta dot dumb.

Bob H
BobH is offline  
Old Jul 19, 10, 1:54 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington DC, DCA
Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, United MP
Posts: 3,929
Last time I was through ATL, they still had the courtsey phones at the Service Center in the middle of Terminals A & B (dunno about C and beyond). I can't comment on DTW as I've never been through there, but I would think they do.

If you're stuck, you can always ask a GA.
MrAndy1369 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 10, 1:58 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: BTR
Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Posts: 1,810
Best bet would be for you to follow her flight status on delta dot dumb.
I'll do that, but if she's got a short layover due to a delay...I'd like to know if she made the flight or will be arriving on a different flight, etc.
lsugolfer is offline  
Old Jul 19, 10, 2:15 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Posts: 568
Detroit has pay phones all throug the terminal.
You could also track her flight on www.flightexplorer.com
CaseyN2 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 10, 4:03 pm
  #6  
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Posts: 11,889
Originally Posted by lsugolfer View Post
I'll do that, but if she's got a short layover due to a delay...I'd like to know if she made the flight or will be arriving on a different flight, etc.
No phone call = all is OK, even on a short connection. Phone call when she misses a flight and has time to call = she will be on a different flight.

What did we ever do before we had cell phones?
fti is offline  
Old Jul 19, 10, 4:07 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hopefully on a plane...
Posts: 6,580
if you have a smart phone you can always look at her PNR online and, if you see a different flight in there than she was scheduled on.... she's probably been delayed.
WBurcham is offline  
Old Jul 19, 10, 4:23 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: BTR
Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Posts: 1,810
if you have a smart phone you can always look at her PNR online
Ah, good call.
lsugolfer is offline  
Old Jul 19, 10, 4:24 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: BTR
Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Posts: 1,810
What did we ever do before we had cell phones?
Use a payphone, which I don't think I've noticed in an airport since 2002.
lsugolfer is offline  
Old Jul 19, 10, 5:03 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ann arbor, mi
Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 87
borrow a cell phone?

when my phone has died, i've always been able to borrow on for a few minutes (and have loaned mine when someone elses dies)

not a great plan A, but should work
dtw_brad is offline  
Old Jul 20, 10, 2:49 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: BTR
Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Posts: 1,810
I knew this was going to happen...

3936 was delayed. 20 min pending layover in DTW.
DL gave her the option to connect via US through CLT.

She had enough time to get on the laptop and email/gchat.

Now will she still get the miles for the DL segments?
lsugolfer is offline  
Old Jul 20, 10, 3:12 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: LAX/BOS/HKG/AMS/SFO...hmm, I need a life.
Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Posts: 13,316
Buy a pay as you go phone. $10 at Walmart and you get 10 minutes talk time free.
avidflyer is offline  
Old Jul 20, 10, 5:47 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MCO
Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,082
Originally Posted by lsugolfer View Post
I knew this was going to happen...

3936 was delayed. 20 min pending layover in DTW.
DL gave her the option to connect via US through CLT.

She had enough time to get on the laptop and email/gchat.

Now will she still get the miles for the DL segments?
Yes, she can always ask for original routing credit. In my experience, it makes it much easier if you have the original itinerary as well as the changed version. Fax both to DL with an explanation and they are pretty good about giving DL credit for the missed segs.
Sez_Who is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread